• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best way to share one USB DAC between two PCs?

Chuu

I have a RME ADI-2 Pro that I want to share between a PC and a Laptop that are both at my desk. I don't need audio from both at the same time, and in fact was thinking I could just purchase a cheap USB "switch" like this this and the appropriate cables.

There are a surprising number of reviews though warning that they had these cheap switches damage USB ports when powering on and switching units. This is a dealbreaker.

Any suggestions for the proper way to do this? Is there a high quality version of this product I can trust? Is there some other way to do this that might be appealing?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a RME ADI-2 Pro that I want to share between a PC and a Laptop that are both at my desk. I don't need audio from both at the same time, and in fact was thinking I could just purchase a cheap USB "switch" like this this and the appropriate cables.

There are a surprising number of reviews though warning that they had these cheap switches damage USB ports when powering on and switching units. This is a dealbreaker.

Any suggestions for the proper way to do this? Is there a high quality version of this product I can trust? Is there some other way to do this that might be appealing?

If you dont want a USB switch you're going to have to use one of the other inputs - so some form of converter. Could use a Topping D10 to bridge but thats $100 to not use the DAC in it. May be cheaper converting options

OP
C

Chuu

If you dont want a USB switch you're going to have to use one of the other inputs - so some form of converter. Could use a Topping D10 to bridge but thats $100 to not use the DAC in it. May be cheaper converting options

I'm fine using a switch like this, just looking for a recommended one that doesn't have reports that it can damage USB ports.

mansr

Major Contributor
Get a USB switch that doesn't fry stuff. Anything from a reputable brand should be fine.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't need audio from both at the same time, and in fact was thinking I could just purchase a cheap USB "switch" like this this and the appropriate cables.
I have used this exact switch without problems..

Aldoszx

I am using this switch for the same purpose and is just fine.

Top Bottom