• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best way to plug in a USB DAC?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I've got a some what simple question, what would be the best way to plug in a USB DAC? My "new" motherboard comes with only USB3.0 ports on the back and I heard if you plug a USB DAC (which is USB 2.0) into a USB 3.0 port on the back, it increases latency. I also heard if you use the USB internal headers (regardless of USB spec) on the motherboard or use a USB PCIE card (regardless of USB spec also), then they'll increases latency too.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know.

Try one of these softwares and use it in each type of port and see what results you get.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ideally, get a Febsmart 2 port pcie card for 15 bucks. Put it in a slot that isn't shared with your SATA controllers (disable any not being used). Your manual will show if any interrupts are shared with slots. Running NVME drives in X4 mode needs certain ones too. Don't plug anything but the DAC into it for smooth sailing.

Katji

Major Contributor
Where did you hear it and how many times?

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Wonder if this is true.
If it does, so what?
I'm not talking about small latency, I'm talking about latency that's high enough to be noticeable.

mansr

Major Contributor
I've got a some what simple question, what would be the best way to plug in a USB DAC? My "new" motherboard comes with only USB3.0 ports on the back and I heard if you plug a USB DAC (which is USB 2.0) into a USB 3.0 port on the back, it increases latency. I also heard if you use the USB internal headers (regardless of USB spec) on the motherboard or use a USB PCIE card (regardless of USB spec also), then they'll increases latency too.
You sure have heard a lot of bullshit.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
You sure have heard a lot of bullshit.
I'm still learning in this "audiophile" world. After all, I used to be a hard believer for tubes until I realized what they did to the sound.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First things first, If you are using Windows then you'd have to check the DPC Latency as mentioned by Blumlein88. If you're not on Windows, then I wouldn't really worry about it.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio latency and DPC latency are two different things. Audio latency is defined by the amount of buffers in the signal chain, deferred procedure call latency is the delay between acknowledging the IRQ reception to the HW with the very fast first part of the IRQ handler and actually processing the data in the deferred second part of the IRQ handler - nicely explained e.g. in https://stackoverflow.com/a/59005311 Large DPC latency can lead to data buffer over/underflows.

Audio latency is configured by the audio client/OS stack, larger means safer. Using low audio latency requires low DPC latencies of the OS to avoid dropouts. Even a super fast OS can run large audio latency if the audio client requests it.

threni

Major Contributor
Top Bottom