• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best passive (and preferably floorstanding) speaker one can find for $2,500 or less?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The relative is currently eyeing a lightly used pair of Revel Performa F206s on Audiogon.
If the price is good, grab them up and don't look back.

6speed

I haven't heard of Philharmonic Audio before. The specs are impressive. I wish there were distortion/frequency graphs though as that's where the ribbons tend to struggle. Adding the BMR mid range driver is a really intriguing solution.

I suspect Dennis crosses the Raal higher than he does with other tweeters in order to avoid all that low end distortion, and uses the BMR as a filler driver (with a narrow passband) to bridge the gap between the midbass and the tweeter. That is also the OEM Raal which is roughly half the size of the retail one most people buy.

Good domes:
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/bliesma/bliesma-t34a-4
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/satori/satori-tw29r
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/scan-speak/scanspeak-d3004660000
or on a budget
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/seas/seas-27tdfc-h1189
The two useful tweeter measurements consistently presented on that site are on axis and HD frequency response @315mm.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suspect Dennis crosses the Raal higher than he does with other tweeters in order to avoid all that low end distortion, and uses the BMR as a filler driver (with a narrow passband) to bridge the gap between the midbass and the tweeter. That is also the OEM Raal which is roughly half the size of the retail one most people buy.

Good domes:
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/bliesma/bliesma-t34a-4
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/satori/satori-tw29r
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/scan-speak/scanspeak-d3004660000
or on a budget
https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/seas/seas-27tdfc-h1189
The two useful tweeter measurements consistently presented on that site are on axis and HD frequency response @315mm.
Thanks!

LightninBoy

Could you show me documentation on ribbons struggling with distortion / frequency? I've never heard of this issue before and am keenly interested to learn more about ribbons.

Other's beat me to this. You can also peruse the SoundStage measurement links to see this phenomenon and compare similarly priced ribbon to dome speakers. Here's one example.

Golden Ears Triton 1 (ribbon) ...
GE.PNG

Versus the Revel F206 (Dome) ...

Revel.PNG
That distortion bump at 1k - 3.5k on the top graph is one of the better results for a ribbon. As others noted, speaker designers compensate by crossing over the ribbons higher, but that just means more high end frequency duties fall to the mid-range driver. But mid-range drivers tend to beam those higher frequencies, so dispersion suffers.

I chose these speakers because I think they each represent great performance for their respective tweeter type. There are many dome tweeter speakers that have worse distortion graphs than the Tritan. But with the Revel you see what can be achieved with a SOTA dome tweeter design. (BTW - if you want to see a really, really bad ribbon design, check out the Monitor Audio Gold GX50. Ugh).

This is why I find that Philharmonic BMR speaker so intriguing. That could allow him to crossover the ribbon at a high frequency thus avoiding the distortion, yet still get good dispersion from that BMR. Fascinating stuff.

LightninBoy

Selah makes a similar speaker (uses a more expensive Accuton ceramic midrange and different woofer), they have measurements including harmonic distortion. Salk (who Dennis at Philharmonic worked for and designed many models) also has a similar speaker, that uses an even more expensive RAAL, more expensive Accuton model and a more expensive woofer (plus you get the amazing cabinet finishes).

Great info. Thanks!

Roen

Other's beat me to this. You can also peruse the SoundStage measurement links to see this phenomenon and compare similarly priced ribbon to dome speakers. Here's one example.

View attachment 20468

View attachment 20469
That distortion bump at 1k - 3.5k on the top graph is one of the better results for a ribbon. As others noted, speaker designers compensate by crossing over the ribbons higher, but that just means more high end frequency duties fall to the mid-range driver. But mid-range drivers tend to beam those higher frequencies, so dispersion suffers.

I chose these speakers because I think they each represent great performance for their respective tweeter type. There are many dome tweeter speakers that have worse distortion graphs than the Tritan. But with the Revel you see what can be achieved with a SOTA dome tweeter design. (BTW - if you want to see a really, really bad ribbon design, check out the Monitor Audio Gold GX50. Ugh).

This is why I find that Philharmonic BMR speaker so intriguing. That could allow him to crossover the ribbon at a high frequency thus avoiding the distortion, yet still get good dispersion from that BMR. Fascinating stuff.
Do you happen to know which domes come close to the ribbon's low energy storage?

6speed

Energy storage is a function of mass when it's a lightweight membrane like a ribbon, planar, or electrostat. For dome mids that have more mass, I assume it's a function of motion damping provided by the surround and the inherent storage/damping of the membrane itself. SL had his own shaped toneburst method of investigating linear distortion (energy storage), but almost no one goes through the trouble of doing that. The only convenient test is a waterfall graph or cumulative spectral decay (CSD), which some measurement apps can generate. You want to see a fast and linear decay at all frequencies 1k-10k. The faster it disappears into the floor (at ~-24dB), the less energy storage. Any humps drawn out in time are resonances, and keep in mind these are not normalized, so for a tweeter showing a drooping on axis response in a CSD might have hidden resonances if EQed to flat.

First up is Accuton's new Cell tweeter:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20171106103930_Figure7-AccutonC30-6-358Tweeter.jpg

Compare that to an SB Acoustics TW29RN-B:
red-600-TW29RN-B_II-CSD.gif

Note how fast the Accuton begins its decay, but it stumbles after the first 12 dB and the SB catches up by -24dB at 0.6ms. The Accuton also has lingering resonances at 2-5kHz, but none of the typical dome tweeter energy storage below 2kHz.

Now look at the Viawave ribbon:
rt850_waterfall.png

The energy drops like a stone in the first 3 ms, but performance suffers at lower frequencies.

Troels supplies a lot of CSD's if you go looking for them. Here is a Bliesma dome, which may be the best measuring tweeter on the market in every respect:

T34A-4_I_CSD_1200.png

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 20468

View attachment 20469

That’s an AMT, not a ribbon, similar but different tech (and usually cheaper).

Roen

Yeah, I'm surprised I missed that. They're also generally heavier than a ribbon, which kills one of ribbons' biggest advantages.

Roen

Energy storage is a function of mass when it's a lightweight membrane like a ribbon, planar, or electrostat. For dome mids that have more mass, I assume it's a function of motion damping provided by the surround and the inherent storage/damping of the membrane itself. SL had his own shaped toneburst method of investigating linear distortion (energy storage), but almost no one goes through the trouble of doing that. The only convenient test is a waterfall graph or cumulative spectral decay (CSD), which some measurement apps can generate. You want to see a fast and linear decay at all frequencies 1k-10k. The faster it disappears into the floor (at ~-24dB), the less energy storage. Any humps drawn out in time are resonances, and keep in mind these are not normalized, so for a tweeter showing a drooping on axis response in a CSD might have hidden resonances if EQed to flat.

First up is Accuton's new Cell tweeter:

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20171106103930_Figure7-AccutonC30-6-358Tweeter.jpg

Compare that to an SB Acoustics TW29RN-B:
red-600-TW29RN-B_II-CSD.gif

Note how fast the Accuton begins its decay, but it stumbles after the first 12 dB and the SB catches up by -24dB at 0.6ms. The Accuton also has lingering resonances at 2-5kHz, but none of the typical dome tweeter energy storage below 2kHz.

Now look at the Viawave ribbon:
rt850_waterfall.png

The energy drops like a stone in the first 3 ms, but performance suffers at lower frequencies.

Troels supplies a lot of CSD's if you go looking for them. Here is a Bliesma dome, which may be the best measuring tweeter on the market in every respect:

T34A-4_I_CSD_1200.png
How much for the Bliesma? Lol

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Old Colony Speaker builder mag had articles for making your own AMTs. Interesting and good results, but never quite the ticket.

6speed

+1 on Magico

...although my semi-DIY suggestion is
  1. Buy old Watt Puppies for the cabinet materials tech
  2. Replace the drivers with Scanspeak woofers, Satori mids and Bliesma tweeters
  3. Junk the crossovers and go fully active

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about speakers $25k+? Any suggestions?

No upper limit, that’ll be fun:

* KEF Blade (or Muon if you are a billionaire).

* All Vivid Audio Giya models in your budget; despite its boutique looks, it’s actually very good.

* All Magico models in your budget.

* All YG Acoustic models in your budget (can’t attest to their lower end, but their high end is excellent).

* Custon speaker by Salk Sound. Design the best speaker possible with drivers available to the public.

* The mentioned Salon2 is excellent, but underbudget.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 on Magico

Not sure if you are aware, but there is a DIY speaker plan company (meaning the guy makes his own and sells the instructiona and crossover schematics)
+1 on Magico

Go full DIY

This site sells DIY plans (dimensions for each piece of the cabinet, crossover schematics, instructions, etc.) and some of his models are made to look like Wilson speakers.

Here is one Reddit user’s finished Illuminator-5 model (named for using Scan-Speak’s Illuminator drivers),

Top Bottom