• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best option for applying room correction to everything outputted from my computer?

ManglerFi

So I've mostly been lurking on here for a while and quite enjoying the reviews! Over the last couple of years I've purchased some nice speakers and have a fairly good performing DAC and now I'm looking to take my audio to the next level and get into room correction. So I have a minidsp UMIK-1 on the way and I'm going to start by playing around with REW with the help of amirm's tutorials on this site. Once I get the correction filters figured out I'm going to want to apply them to my music but would also like to be able to have all audio coming from computer to have the filters applied.

So this brings me to my question, what is the best way to accomplish this?

I've been considering getting one of the minidsp products to do this but after seeing the review of the 2X4HD on here I'm not to thrilled about their performance. This was of course from its analogue outputs. Would using one of their digital to digital processors provide a better result (passing the digital signal on to my current DAC)? Or would you all suggest something else? I'm sure there are plenty of options out there that I have no idea about.

Thanks all for any help!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I use a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI, two channel digital in/out, with AcourateDRC creating the filter.

All sources (coax/optical) -> switch -> miniDSP -> DAC -> preamp -> amp -> speakers

It's limited to 48kHz. I don't care.

---

If your source is the PC, or other sources routed through the PC (mine aren't), you might do it all in the PC.

Others can surely guide you better than I for that course.

---

Post your in-room measurements. hardly anyone does that here.

Last edited:
OP
M

ManglerFi

Thanks, @RayDunzl! Yeah my PC is the source about 99.9% of the time. I have a chromecast hooked up to the optical port on my DAC for the other 0.1% of the time (wouldn't be a big concern how that is hooked up to the signal chain).

My main concern with running it all on the PC would be if that means I would have to use the windows mixer for the output? This wouldn't be a big problem for things like youtube, netflix and what not as that is the only option. But when using Roon over WASAPI I presume I would lose the correction filtering. I know Roon supports HDPlayer, but not sure if I want to go that route and spend the money on it (though not absolutely against it either).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks, @RayDunzl! Yeah my PC is the source about 99.9% of the time. I have a chromecast hooked up to the optical port on my DAC for the other 0.1% of the time (wouldn't be a big concern how that is hooked up to the signal chain).
OK, so why not use the PC for the room correction?

My main concern with running it all on the PC would be if that means I would have to use the windows mixer for the output? This wouldn't be a big problem for things like youtube, netflix and what not as that is the only option. But when using Roon over WASAPI I presume I would lose the correction filtering. I know Roon supports HDPlayer, but not sure if I want to go that route and spend the money on it (though not absolutely against it either).
You can do the RC in Roon, with or without HDPlayer.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson: Will Dirac Live running on a PC work with Roon?

Curious, thanks - Don

OP
M

ManglerFi

OK, so why not use the PC for the room correction?

You can do the RC in Roon, with or without HDPlayer.

Thanks for the reply, I'm still kinda new to Roon, how would I do the room correction without HDPlayer?

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I use the PC version of Dirac Live in conjunction with JRiver with all listening done through my DAC via USB. I am extremely pleased. Setup/calibration is quite easy and compatible with the UMIK-1.

OP
M

ManglerFi

Thanks, I'll look into this once I get the UMIK in.

I use the PC version of Dirac Live in conjunction with JRiver with all listening done through my DAC via USB. I am extremely pleased. Setup/calibration is quite easy and compatible with the UMIK-1.

I've thought of using Dirac Live as well but I don't want to use JRiver as it doesn't have Tidal integration (unless I'm mistaken here), and a good portion of my library in Roon is from tidal.

D

Deleted member 65

Just import filters from REW into Roon, that's what I did.

D

Deleted member 65

Roon setup DSP engine:

1533664873511.png

OP
M

ManglerFi

Alright, just checked the Roon site and found this page. Realized that I need to add the convolution filter option! Man totally missed the little option on the lower left of that screen to "add filter."

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson: Will Dirac Live running on a PC work with Roon?

Curious, thanks - Don
Yes. The current version will but I cannot speak about the impending version.

Me, too.

Top Bottom