• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What's the best option for applying room correction to everything outputted from my computer?

Joined
Feb 7, 2018
Messages
51
Likes
12
#1
So I've mostly been lurking on here for a while and quite enjoying the reviews! Over the last couple of years I've purchased some nice speakers and have a fairly good performing DAC and now I'm looking to take my audio to the next level and get into room correction. So I have a minidsp UMIK-1 on the way and I'm going to start by playing around with REW with the help of amirm's tutorials on this site. Once I get the correction filters figured out I'm going to want to apply them to my music but would also like to be able to have all audio coming from computer to have the filters applied.

So this brings me to my question, what is the best way to accomplish this?

I've been considering getting one of the minidsp products to do this but after seeing the review of the 2X4HD on here I'm not to thrilled about their performance. This was of course from its analogue outputs. Would using one of their digital to digital processors provide a better result (passing the digital signal on to my current DAC)? Or would you all suggest something else? I'm sure there are plenty of options out there that I have no idea about.

Thanks all for any help!
 

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
5,574
Likes
1,542
Location
Riverview, FL
#2
I use a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI, two channel digital in/out, with AcourateDRC creating the filter.

All sources (coax/optical) -> switch -> miniDSP -> DAC -> preamp -> amp -> speakers

It's limited to 48kHz. I don't care.

---

If your source is the PC, or other sources routed through the PC (mine aren't), you might do it all in the PC.

Others can surely guide you better than I for that course.

---

Post your in-room measurements. hardly anyone does that here.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Feb 7, 2018
Messages
51
Likes
12
#3
Thanks, @RayDunzl! Yeah my PC is the source about 99.9% of the time. I have a chromecast hooked up to the optical port on my DAC for the other 0.1% of the time (wouldn't be a big concern how that is hooked up to the signal chain).

My main concern with running it all on the PC would be if that means I would have to use the windows mixer for the output? This wouldn't be a big problem for things like youtube, netflix and what not as that is the only option. But when using Roon over WASAPI I presume I would lose the correction filtering. I know Roon supports HDPlayer, but not sure if I want to go that route and spend the money on it (though not absolutely against it either).
 

Kal Rubinson

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Joined
Mar 23, 2016
Messages
561
Likes
263
Location
NYC/CT
#4
Thanks, @RayDunzl! Yeah my PC is the source about 99.9% of the time. I have a chromecast hooked up to the optical port on my DAC for the other 0.1% of the time (wouldn't be a big concern how that is hooked up to the signal chain).
OK, so why not use the PC for the room correction?

My main concern with running it all on the PC would be if that means I would have to use the windows mixer for the output? This wouldn't be a big problem for things like youtube, netflix and what not as that is the only option. But when using Roon over WASAPI I presume I would lose the correction filtering. I know Roon supports HDPlayer, but not sure if I want to go that route and spend the money on it (though not absolutely against it either).
You can do the RC in Roon, with or without HDPlayer.
 

DonH56

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Patreon Donor
Joined
Mar 15, 2016
Messages
2,103
Likes
1,631
Location
Monument, CO
#5
@Kal Rubinson: Will Dirac Live running on a PC work with Roon?

Curious, thanks - Don
 

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Joined
Mar 4, 2016
Messages
1,417
Likes
485
#8
I use the PC version of Dirac Live in conjunction with JRiver with all listening done through my DAC via USB. I am extremely pleased. Setup/calibration is quite easy and compatible with the UMIK-1.
 
Joined
Feb 7, 2018
Messages
51
Likes
12
#9

Thanks, I'll look into this once I get the UMIK in.


I use the PC version of Dirac Live in conjunction with JRiver with all listening done through my DAC via USB. I am extremely pleased. Setup/calibration is quite easy and compatible with the UMIK-1.
I've thought of using Dirac Live as well but I don't want to use JRiver as it doesn't have Tidal integration (unless I'm mistaken here), and a good portion of my library in Roon is from tidal.
 
Joined
Feb 7, 2018
Messages
51
Likes
12
#13
Alright, just checked the Roon site and found this page. Realized that I need to add the convolution filter option! Man totally missed the little option on the lower left of that screen to "add filter."
 

Kal Rubinson

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Joined
Mar 23, 2016
Messages
561
Likes
263
Location
NYC/CT
#14
@Kal Rubinson: Will Dirac Live running on a PC work with Roon?

Curious, thanks - Don
Yes. The current version will but I cannot speak about the impending version.

I use the PC version of Dirac Live in conjunction with JRiver with all listening done through my DAC via USB. I am extremely pleased. Setup/calibration is quite easy and compatible with the UMIK-1.
Me, too.
 
Top Bottom