• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whats the Best: Mogami W2549 vs Canare L-4E6S Cable

RayPaula

Hi, I'm looking at both, Mogami W2549 and Canare L-4E6S bulk cable for making up balanced XLR to XLR 1' patch cables and up to 75' runs for active/powered speakers. Mogami does state that it's good for longer runs but, I'd like to know your real world experience is with these cables for an informed choice? Thank you. Ray

Mogami W2549 HERE

Canare L-4E6S HERE

Krunok

Major Contributor
Hi, I'm looking at both, Mogami W2549 and Canare L-4E6S bulk cable for making up balanced XLR to XLR 1' patch cables and up to 75' runs for active/powered speakers. Mogami does state that it's good for longer runs but, I'd like to know your real world experience is with these cables for an informed choice? Thank you. Ray

Mogami W2549 HERE

Canare L-4E6S HERE

And what would be the criteria to judge which one is better?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Mogami W2549 HERE

Canare L-4E6S HERE

I only have experience with the Canare cable, having built a few 20' long balanced headphone extensions. Worked great, no issues whatsoever, no noise pick-up, no microphonics, a good quality cable. A bit heavy for headphones, but that's not an issue for your application.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I don't have them in front of me so going off memory, which may be slightly different cables in the two brands so be warned.

Looking at the specs, of those two choices the Mogami will have lower loss and is probably a little cheaper if you don't need Canare's star-quad configuration. The Canare may be a little more flexible but also has an extra strand so that may be a wash. A closer match would be Mogami's W2791 if you want to use the same wire size and strand count as the Canare. I'd probably go with the Mogami.

I would not place the 75' runs in the same channel as power lines.

cjm2077

I use the Canare because the star-quad configuration should help with noise cancelling. But it really shouldn't matter for an XLR if you're doing normal signal level connections of reasonable length (and the lengths you stated are pretty reasonable). Microphones are more noise sensitive because of the signal levels, so they actually need it. It's pretty much overkill for home stereo systems. If you were going to run these in a conduit along with network, power, and other cabling in a studio like situation, it might make some sense, but I don't have any personal experience with that. Get whichever you get a good price on.

OP
R

RayPaula

I only have experience with the Canare cable, having built a few 20' long balanced headphone extensions. Worked great, no issues whatsoever, no noise pick-up, no microphonics, a good quality cable. A bit heavy for headphones, but that's not an issue for your application.
That's awesome! Just the type of info. I'm looking for. It's really hard to decide between the two. Thanks again, Ray

OP
R

RayPaula

I don't have them in front of me so going off memory, which may be slightly different cables in the two brands so be warned.

Looking at the specs, of those two choices the Mogami will have lower loss and is probably a little cheaper if you don't need Canare's star-quad configuration. The Canare may be a little more flexible but also has an extra strand so that may be a wash. A closer match would be Mogami's W2791 if you want to use the same wire size and strand count as the Canare. I'd probably go with the Mogami.

I would not place the 75' runs in the same channel as power lines.
Thank you for the great info...... Mogami's W2791 appears to be a great cable as well. Comparing prices, the Canare is certainly at a great price point. I care about price but, more importantly a well made cable that gives great clean signal. I'm a DJ/KJ therefore, noise would be my biggest concern along with durability. Basically they all look good on paper.
Canare L-4E6S .50 per foot
Mogami W2549 .80 per foot
Mogami's W2791 $1.11 per foot

OP
R

RayPaula

I use the Canare because the star-quad configuration should help with noise cancelling. But it really shouldn't matter for an XLR if you're doing normal signal level connections of reasonable length (and the lengths you stated are pretty reasonable). Microphones are more noise sensitive because of the signal levels, so they actually need it. It's pretty much overkill for home stereo systems. If you were going to run these in a conduit along with network, power, and other cabling in a studio like situation, it might make some sense, but I don't have any personal experience with that. Get whichever you get a good price on.
Thanks for your input, I totally agree........ I'm a DJ/KJ therefore noise does play an important part for either venue. It appears that this may be where the Canare Star Quad may shine. 75' runs shouldn't be an issue do to all of these having a decent gauge of around 21awg.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
If this is to active speakers then it is a line-level signal without the larger noise issues of a mic level run. Either should do fine though the Canare may be better for lower noise if the long runs are in a channel with power and speaker level runs even though will have higher loss (not really an issue in your application). That said, if the Canare is that much cheaper, just get it and be done with it. I don't remember the exact cables I was comparing several (perhaps many) years ago but at that time the cost ratios were reversed. Either brand is well-respected in the industry for quality and durability.

OP
R

RayPaula

I'll add, the long runs are basically being rasn from my Numark Mixdeck Quad to my powered speakers for DJing. As far as KJing, I'm running off a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer using the same active speakers. I normally don't have both venues at the same time therefore, I have two different setups just for convenience.

OP
R

RayPaula

If this is to active speakers then it is a line-level signal without the larger noise issues of a mic level run. Either should do fine though the Canare may be better for lower noise if the long runs are in a channel with power and speaker level runs even though will have higher loss (not really an issue in your application). That said, if the Canare is that much cheaper, just get it and be done with it. I don't remember the exact cables I was comparing several (perhaps many) years ago but at that time the cost ratios were reversed. Either brand is well-respected in the industry for quality and durability.
Great info here..... I do have a 2 JVC CD+G players, crossover, sound enhancer and effects processor for my mic's in the Karaoke chain. Basically, some patch cables between all with line level going out to the active/powered speakers. No instruments..........

Tks

Major Contributor
A rudimentary test (i timestampped it, you should see Mogami and Canere compared), spoiler, Canere L4SE wins in terms of EM rejection (though actually the cable these Audioblast folks are providing is that true winner)

Krunok

Major Contributor
(though actually the cable these Audioblast folks are providing is that true winner)

The only issue is that test is not independent but carried by Audioblast themselves. :p

@RayPaula What @DonH56 gave you a very practical advice - simply buy a cheaper cable and spend the rest on some good steak. ;)

OP
R

RayPaula

A rudimentary test (i timestampped it, you should see Mogami and Canere compared), spoiler, Canere L4SE wins in terms of EM rejection (though actually the cable these Audioblast folks are providing is that true winner)
]
HOLY MOLY!! Is this too good to be true??? Audioblast - Absolutely no effect on your audio signal for continuous lengths exceeding even 250 feet. You can rest safe in the knowledge that it will be the most protected signal on planet earth! Flex Life 30,000 cycles, Oh and a 10 year replacement warranty. If it's too good to be true....... Hmmmm..... :eek:
Since I can't find them on the web with the exception of Amazon and a few resellers......... I'll stick with my plan, thus far.
I do believe that Canare L-4E6S has an edge over Mogami W2549 due to the Star Quad. With the price being .30 cents less than Mogami it's extremely close to being a no brainer. Then you have the Mogami W2791 at $1.11........ My lean right now is Canare.

Reactions: Tks
OP
R

RayPaula

The only issue is that test is not independent but carried by Audioblast themselves. :p

@RayPaula What @DonH56 gave you a very practical advice - simply buy a cheaper cable and spend the rest on some good steak. ;)
Couldn't have said it any better....... ;) With the exception of Audioblast

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I’ve used both, as well as the Canare L-2T2S which is more comparable to the Mogami W2549 you linked. You can’t go wrong with either brand.

I have a few guitar cables I made with the Canare star-quad that I’ve been using for at least 30 years, and none of them have ever failed.

I haven’t seen anything with Mogami that justifies their higher price.

For practical considerations:

1. Don is right that the Canare is more pliable.

2. The Mogami’s wrapped shield is much easier to work with compared to Canare’s super-tight woven braid. However, in the link below you will find tips on dealing with it.

https://www.hometheatershack.com/th...ed-diy-guide-to-making-your-own-cables.13000/

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Great info here..... I do have a 2 JVC CD+G players, crossover, sound enhancer and effects processor for my mic's in the Karaoke chain. Basically, some patch cables between all with line level going out to the active/powered speakers. No instruments..........

Instruments, of course, guitar pickups are also very low level and hi-Z. As a brass player I try to ignore the guitars (and vice-versa). :)

Top Bottom