• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best mic/sofa positioning to EQ with?

sendu

I've got a pair of FLR speakers which I'm running full-range for 2ch music (and also for a surround setup with movies, but that's not so important).

I want to EQ them with Audyssey, and possible also with their built-in ARC calibration for the bass, and probably also with REW to generate filter impulse responses to use in Roon's DSP. Audyssey and ARC have their own mics, and I have a UMIK-1.

My seated listening position is on a reclining sofa, and my ears are virtually touching the headrest, just under the top of it.

My main question is how to position the mic and sofa when taking measurements?

Should I simulate the reality and have the mic right up against the headrest, and then EQ out whatever reflections and absorptions the mic mics up in that position?

Or should I fully recline the seat so that the headrest drops down more, leaving the mic in more free space while it is still at listening position height?

Or move the whole sofa well out of the way even?

I've done trial measurements and the results of the headrest being up or down make a big difference across the higher frequencies.

When confirming the results of Audyssey with my own measurements, and then going back in to the app to tweak the curve to fix things Audyssey didn't get right, should my confirmation result be an average of my own measurements taken at multiple positions around the MLP, similar to what I did during the Audyssey process? Or how else would you do this?

Any other tips?

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Software needs to have a calibration file for the mic. You get this calibration file with the mic or from the makers website. Equipment with their own mics may well have a calibration file installed already. This means if you use another mic you will have to change the calibration file. Apart from that there's no reason not to use another mic of your choice as long as it fits the criteria for room measurements (omni directional) and has suitable connectivity (which includes a suitable source of power).

Regarding the sofa and headrest, if your sofa is leather it will reflect the high frequencies a lot more then a fabric covered one.

Generally measuring is always a guide and never spot on accurate. For example, when you listen you sit in the chair and your body will have some effect on the sound (as can wearing glasses for example). The most important thing is to be consistent in your measuring. Always measure from the same spot with the mic pointing in the same direction and using the same methodology. That way if you measure after making EQ adjustments you know the changes are shown in the new measurements. Don't get too obsessed with accurate measurements, EQ and perfectly flat frequency responses. The final decision on whether you've got a good sound should be you listening to your favourite music.

I use a fabric covered recliner and use it reclined. It doesn't have a headrest although I've got a head cushion to support my neck. I listen on my own so only need one centred sweetspot. Therefore I place the mic (using a full mic stand) exactly the height of my ears when sitting reclined in the chair. If I'm measuring one speaker at a time I place the mic where my left ear would be (for the left speaker), pointing at the speaker. If I'm measuring both speakers I place the mic between my two ears pointing at the mid point between the speakers. Some say point the mic upwards.

If I listened with others on the sofa I might employ the Moving Mic Method (MMM) or some averaging system but I see no need for my circumstances.

In your case I would simulate reality and if you find the reflections a nuisance either remove the headrest or get a less reflective one.

There was a question asked about this subject before:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-with-or-without-chair-occupied-or-not.13586/

My post 6 shows some experiments I carried out.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The mic calibration : five mics with theirs calibration file will give five different results

Top Bottom