• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the benefit of Bypass Capacitors?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Ken Newton

That's a great find, Ray. Thanks, for posting it.

Jesus, I didn't remember he owned so much expensive gear.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
"Dream/nightmare." I think that captures it. A large portion of audiophiles seem perfectionist by nature, often, to a fault. If not obsessing over 'perfecting' an audio system they would be obsessing over 'perfecting' something else. It's simply in their nature. Audio gives them a constructive, if expensive, outlet for their obsessive nature. There are others, however, who seem to experience an therapeutic benefit from tweaking/fiddling with their HiFi. Doing so seems to function as a healthy diversion from life stress. The act of fiddling about with their systems is fun for them.

I recall long ago reading an audio magazine interview with Fabio, remember him, he of the long blonde hair? It turns out that Fabio is an audiophile (who knew?!), and reported enjoying the activity of simply changing the expensive cables of his expensive system. I don't recall whether he claimed to hear any difference though. Apparently, he simply liked to toy around with the devices and equipment. I've no ridicule for him though, as I suppose that's no different from someone who enjoys the activity of working on automobiles, for example. In both cases, for them, the journey is at least as enjoyable as is the destination. :)

Based on that, I don't think I qualify as an audiophile.

I certainly tweak things, but I do it in the recording mix, where the levers and differences are much larger.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The most preposterous item in that preposterous gear list is the Infinity IRS-Vs being used for surround duty in his main system.

You're right. They're a terrible timbral match for the ML surrounds and ML fronts.

He should have just ditched Infinity speakers and gotten more MLs.

Ken Newton

Exactly. Everyone knows that segmented line sources don't work well with quasi-planar sources. :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've no ridicule for him though, as I suppose that's no different from someone who enjoys the activity of working on automobiles, for example. In both cases, for them, the journey is at least as enjoyable as is the destination. :)
Quite a bit different actually. I'm a car/motorcycle guy and the results of my tweaking were always directly measurable in its success or failure. From dyno runs to determine horsepower and torque, to drag strip passes, there's very little that's based on a subjective impressions.
But I do know of the audiophool types that do things like exhaust or tuning mod's that get impressed by the "sound" of the engine after tweaking. They do get a bad awakening when I strap their rigs down though.

Top Bottom