• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's on your Black Friday / Cyber Monday (audio) list and why?

OP
Old Listener

Old Listener

Agreed. Eve seems to be one of the most transparent manufacturers out there, with a no-nonsense approach I like. Seems to me that they also price their monitors rather favorably, compared to some of the competitors at least.

Thanks, oivavoi for that lead. I sent a request to the US distributor for a list of SF Bay area dealers for the SC208.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Are you planning to buy something else instead? What?
No, they were for the tv room but Iv spent that money on other things. Shame as I was going to take them around to a few fellow Audio enthusiasts houses in a bit to turn them onto a different path.

If I find some cash down the back of the sofa I will look at dynaudio for the above purposes.

CuteStudio

I already splashed out big for a Black Friday mains cable, 1.8m of goodness with a special 'trick': a right angled connector.
It's brilliant, the amp now sits back a clear 20mm further on the shelf and the whole amp/shelf look is far more balanced and neutral.

One of the best £3.90s I've ever spent.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I already splashed out big for a Black Friday mains cable, 1.8m of goodness with a special 'trick': a right angled connector.
It's brilliant, the amp now sits back a clear 20mm further on the shelf and the whole amp/shelf look is far more balanced and neutral.

One of the best £3.90s I've ever spent.

They have Black Friday in the UK?

But without Thanksgiving?

CuteStudio

They even have one in Portugal too now. The US influence is such in Europe that last time I went to France for a civilian based airshow I could only find a hotdog stand and no decent food at all, it was just like being in the US again (although I actually found the food sold in US sports bars far better).
We even have halloween too for some reason, to annoy the Christians I suspect.

So no 'Thanksgiving', although we will watch 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' just for kicks.

fas42

Major Contributor
According to Wikipedia this infection has been around for a few years in Oz, but I've never noticed it before. This year, screaming out the words in TV ads has come across my radar ... hmmm ...

Wombat

Master Contributor
According to Wikipedia this infection has been around for a few years in Oz, but I've never noticed it before. This year, screaming out the words in TV ads has come across my radar ... hmmm ...

I got trick-or-treated by kids in full regalia f0r the first time(in Oz) this year. It was unexpected and the poor darlings seemed pleased to get a block of 85% dark chocolate - all I could offer.

I think I will be on their 'no visit' list next year. :rolleyes:

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
C5EF6C40-9B45-4967-A3C6-66A96D56C4FB.png
I got Powerbeats 3 today. I’ve tried several different in-ears for gym/running. These seem to work the best. I stream Apple Music straight off the Apple Watch 3; no phone needed. It’s a liberating experience. It reminds me of the first time I used a Walkman when I was a kid. I wish tidal had an Apple Watch app. I’m sure they won’t bother. They are good at losing customers.

The Powerbeats don’t sound bad for what they cost. They were pretty discounted on Amazon.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
View attachment 9604 I got Powerbeats 3 today. I’ve tried several different in-ears for gym/running. These seem to work the best. I stream Apple Music straight off the Apple Watch 3; no phone needed. It’s a liberating experience. It reminds me of the first time I used a Walkman when I was a kid. I wish tidal had an Apple Watch app. I’m sure they won’t bother. They are good at losing customers.

The Powerbeats don’t sound bad for what they cost. They were pretty discounted on Amazon.
I use these for work, it’s been liberating and they last all day.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps this could be of interest, given the talk about studio monitors in the thread: http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/now-hear-this-engineers-talk-about-their-monitors-of-choice/59152

It's an interview with different studio engineers about the speakers they use. What stands out to me, for most of these guys, is how cheap it is - comparatively. After all, this is their bread and butter, and they get by with monitors that cost less than an average audiophile cable! This implies to me that fairly cheap monitors actually can work well these days. The law of diminishing returns seems to kick in at a lower and lower price point. The one exception is the gal with focal and tubes. She also uses interconnects that costs 10000 usd. Oh well.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Perhaps this could be of interest, given the talk about studio monitors in the thread: http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/now-hear-this-engineers-talk-about-their-monitors-of-choice/59152

It's an interview with different studio engineers about the speakers they use. What stands out to me, for most of these guys, is how cheap it is - comparatively. After all, this is their bread and butter, and they get by with monitors that cost less than an average audiophile cable! This implies to me that fairly cheap monitors actually can work well these days. The law of diminishing returns seems to kick in at a lower and lower price point. The one exception is the gal with focal and tubes. She also uses interconnects that costs 10000 usd. Oh well.

Sorry, Piper, you are delusional - too far out in the normal distribution curve. Or, maybe an audio-savant. :rolleyes:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, Piper, you are delusional - too far out in the normal distribution curve. Or, maybe an audio-savant. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that among music professionals, mastering engineers are far more susceptible to magical thinking than others. Maybe it is because they view their work more as "art", whereas recording egineers have a more functionalist attitude? Recording engineers and mixers are concerned with "translation" - that their mixes should sound good on different kinds of systems. And they want their monitors to be reasonably accurate. They just need their stuff to "work", basically. But some mastering engineers - the high end ones at least - view their mastering work as being an art form. Really finding the right balance, really bringing out the soul of the recording... it gotta have a secret sauce, right. So that might make them more prone to buying gear in a personal, intuitive manner, and make them believe in stuff like overpriced interconnects.

Just throwing out some stereotypes. My apologies if I offended any mastering engineers reading the thread... :)

Last edited:
OP
Old Listener

Old Listener

Black Friday is behind us. Did you buy what you had on your list?

I did buy the camera that I mentioned earlier. No price break but 2 lenses and a camera bag that were included in the kit can be sold to retrieve some money.

The lens I wanted wasn't on sale so no need to buy it on Black Friday.

Thanks to good suggestions I have another candidate for powered speakers. I'd guess that it will be February at the earliest before I buy speakers.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I gave up on my quest for a new big knob and bought an RME ADI-2 Pro instead.

550325d1460046959-rme-announce-new-adi-2-pro-2-channel-converter-zoom_rme_adi-2_pro_38620.jpg

It will be serving as my main interface in my home office / mixing station, paired to a set of Dynaudio LYD 5.

It should arrive middle of next week.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have one here, I really like it, superb but of kit.
Keith

Top Bottom