• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Continuing the theme, lettuce wraps.
15CD3B88-2801-42F4-8275-D0D251ED78D8.jpeg

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks great! If you want a bit more of that Hawaii vibe, try dishing out the mac salad and rice (white sticky rice works best) with an ice-cream scoop!

Did you know that it's possible to grow your own pineapple plants from the top which normally gets discarded? The ones my mom grew produced smallish fruit but almost orange in color and super-flavorful.
No denying it looks better with sticky rice and distinct scoops. I need to make some sticky mac salad that holds the shape and get some proper scoopers now.
20210623_121907.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Looks great! I make my own chilli oil also; I cook Szechuan style food fairly often. My chilli oil tends to be a bit nuclear though.
Yeah, I make it a point to have Szechuan pepper in high concentrations for the numbing, otherwise the heat is unbalanced.

antennaguru

These are smoked Jalepeno Poppers. The Jalepenos are halved and then the seeds are scraped out into the sink, the empty halves are filled with cream cheese and topped with a Frito corn chip before being wrapped with a 1/2 slice of bacon. A toothpick holds it together while they are smoked indirect over natural lump charcoal and fruitwood chunks.
ATBs.JPG

raindance

Major Contributor
I typically make bacon wrapped bananas as an appetizer, but they get grilled with direct heat. I'm not sure about smoked bananas :).

izeek

These are smoked Jalepeno Poppers. The Jalepenos are halved and then the seeds are scraped out into the sink, the empty halves are filled with cream cheese and topped with a Frito corn chip before being wrapped with a 1/2 slice of bacon. A toothpick holds it together while they are smoked indirect over natural lump charcoal and fruitwood chunks.
View attachment 137107
Daaayyyuuummm!

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a great-looking dish. I'm someone who hates summer, but the one upside to it is getting vegetables like this.

The quality of it depends entirely on the quality of the ingredients. Preparation is easy and only the peeling phase is a bit tedious. The idea is quite simple: put some vegetables in the oven, 30 - 40 min for each side depending on the temperature and the oven. Once the peel is toasted or a bit burned (don't be afraid, the inner parts aren't burned, but otherwise you won't be able to remove the peel), remove it (with your hands), also remove the seeds, break into long pieces and dress it with a good quantity of strong unsweetened vinegar (Jerez vinegar is the best for it, don't use modena), olive oil (the best you can find) and a bit of salt. During the peeling process you will notice that the temperature has had the effect of making the vegetables exude a lot of juice. Don't throw it away! It's a crucial part. Stir it for a minute until the oil, the vinegar and the juice of the vegetables are completely blended. The resulting mixture doesn't taste as vinegar, so don't be afraid of using a good quantity of it. If you prefer to be cautious, just start with little and keep adding until the taste of bare cooked vegetables gets masked. You will see that it requires a good deal of it, more than you would use in an ordinary salad. The most common vegetables used, the ones in the picture, are: red pepper (thick ones), onions (entire, to avoid burning them) and eggplant. It is often combined with bread and anchovies.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The quality of it depends entirely on the quality of the ingredients. Preparation is easy and only the peeling phase is a bit tedious. The idea is quite simple: put some vegetables in the oven, 30 - 40 min for each side depending on the temperature and the oven. Once the peel is toasted or a bit burned (don't be afraid, the inner parts aren't burned, but otherwise you won't be able to remove the peel), remove it (with your hands), also remove the seeds, break into long pieces and dress it with a good quantity of strong unsweetened vinegar (Jerez vinegar is the best for it, don't use modena), olive oil (the best you can find) and a bit of salt. During the peeling process you will notice that the temperature has had the effect of making the vegetables exude a lot of juice. Don't throw it away! It's a crucial part. Stir it for a minute until the oil, the vinegar and the juice of the vegetables are completely blended. The resulting mixture doesn't taste as vinegar, so don't be afraid of using a good quantity of it. If you prefer to be cautious, just start with little and keep adding until the taste of bare cooked vegetables gets masked. You will see that it requires a good deal of it, more than you would use in an ordinary salad. The most common vegetables used, the ones in the picture, are: red pepper (thick ones), onions (entire, to avoid burning them) and eggplant. It is often combined with bread and anchovies.
See, this is exactly the kind of cooking I love to do: something which shows off the textures and flavors of great ingredients.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to make some sticky mac salad that holds the shape and get some proper scoopers now.
Best Foods / Hellman's mayo is the Hawaii standard, though I've been away for awhile and have become a Kewpie believer myself.

OP
Helicopter

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got my Hawaiian style scooper, and I am making pro rice portions... on top of the file gumbo I made with grilled chicken, andouille from a local farm, roasted chicken stock, and Patagonian pink shrimp.

20210702_181449.jpg

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Got my Hawaiian style scooper, and I am making pro rice portions... on top of the file gumbo I made with grilled chicken, andouille from a local farm, roadted chicken stock, and Patagonian pink shrimp.

View attachment 138761
Oh man I love a good gumbo.

My current favorite, since Avery's sadly closed, is probably still Herbsaint. Other than the pheasant, quail, and andouille gumbo at the Fest - that one wins in my book.

Top Bottom