• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

charbong

I'm not a great traveler, but I've seen similar things on France and Italy.

Do you mean "La boqueria"?

Yes, that's the place. THAT should be one of the wonders of the world, and I do not exaggerate.

I find that Italy really appreciates good food and they make great food in their homes, but not so much part of the culture to eat out like the Spanish. I remember in Barcelona, the lunch places were jam-packed with locals. It was quite a scene. The quality of the French food I found to be extremely high. I mean, you could get a sandwich out of a vending machine there and it would probably be the best sandwich you ever ate. Apparently the French citizenry is very demanding when it comes to food. But there again, the eating out scene for lunch seems to be nowhere close to Spain. They did however have some amazing open local markets.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am currently in the Charleston, SC USA area. They say we have great food here. It is rare to find any. My childhood was spent here & in Austria, Italy & Germany. In the last 20 years or so, Guam, Saipan, Republic of Korea, Japan & China. My American grandmother could cook very well (she was from Appalachia, a region in the Great Smokey Mountains of the USA). I think that we are getting some decent cooking & farmers markets but I think the magazines are really hyping it up. Their are many better food culture places in the world than where I am, it doesn't begin to compare with other countries. It is sad that they have managed to brainwashed the people here into to thinking we have a lot of great food here.

Last edited:

wacomme

An egg and veggie mix.
41930133-0B7E-4A85-AB08-A072CDC863C3.jpeg

charbong

I am currently in the Charleston, SC USA area. They say we have great food here. It is rare to find any. My childhood was spent here 7 in Austria, Italy & Germany. In the last 20 years or so, Guam, Saipan, Republic of Korea, Japan & China. My American grandmother could cook very well (she was from Appalachia, a region in the Great Smokey Mountains of the USA). I think that we are getting some decent cooking& farmers markets but I think the magazines are really hyping it up. Their are many better food culture places in the world than where I am doesn't begin to compare with other countries. It is sad that they have managed to brainwashed the people here into to thinking we have great food here.

Yeah, kind of sad that we've lost the connection to our past with regard to food, but great that people are showing an interest in getting back to it in the US. Appalachia is such an interesting place. I like watching the food and music traditions on youtube. The book "Our Southern Highlanders" was excellent.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's the place. THAT should be one of the wonders of the world, and I do not exaggerate.
Open markets in Barcelona come from the last years of the XIX and modernism period, made of bricks and specially of metal, in a french stile, so to speak. In recent years they are being renewed, like santa caterina or sant antoni, which is now far better than la boqueria, which needs to be renewed to keep up. Generally they keep the old metal structure and add some floors underneath.
I remember in Barcelona, the lunch places were jam-packed with locals.
That's the best criteria to find a good place to eat, like Chinese restaurants where Chinese people use to go.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We're on the fringes of Appalachia. There's AMAZING food here, but not at restaurants- it's just not a restaurant culture. My long-time cooking partner is moving here in the next few weeks, and we're hooked up with some local purveyors of top quality produce, meats, and cheeses, so we'll see if there's actually a demand for it. It seems a natural since we're bordering on arguably the best cool-climate wine region in the world.

Last edited:

charbong

My long-time cooking partner is moving here in the next few weeks, and we're hooked up with some local purveyors of top quality produce, meats, and cheeses, so we'll see if it's there's actually a demand for it. It seems a natural since we're bordering on arguably the best cool-climate wine region in the world.

Hard to see how you could go wrong, barring a further, very serious degradation of the economy. For whatever reason, quality food and food craft has a deep and growing appeal to more and more people. It's also the one area where automation and corporatism haven't been able to get a foothold.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hard to see how you could go wrong, barring a further, very serious degradation of the economy. For whatever reason, quality food and food craft has a deep and growing appeal to more and more people. It's also the one area where automation and corporatism haven't been able to get a foothold.
Even then, this is a university town, and what happens in the economy has little effect on the locals. I think that if we make this destination dining, we’ll weather whatever happens.

Speaking of which, we just got a delivery of the last peaches of the season, the first heirloom tomatoes, and some heirloom lettuce varieties from my favorite organic farm. My challenge will be creating something worthy of these great ingredients. And when I say “great,” it’s not an exaggeration.

They also do beef and pork, but that’s my partner’s responsibility.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I start with Indomie Mi Goreng Hot & Spicy instant noodles, stir-fried with whatever vegetables/tofu/protein that I have on hand, and top with a fried egg, sambal oelek chili sauce and more crispy fried onion. Letting the egg yolk coat the noodles is trick! In the USA, the noodles can be had from Kroger-affiliated shops and elsewhere.
I like the Mi Goreng Hot & Spicy and the Mi Goreng Fried Noodles from Indo Mie, my favorite junk foods. My daughter and I buy it by the case. Nice job in dressing it up!

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chicken legs Moulin Rouge:facepalm:. Smoked low & slow with Jack Daniels smoking barrel chunks
IMG_20220729_165913.jpg
IMG_20220729_171920.jpg

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Simple, easy meal for 5: lamb loin chops from the butcher a block away (simple marinade of salt, pepper, olive oil, rosemary and cooked over indirect heat on the grill before searing) on laffa bread, roasted broccoli and tomatoes, labne made in house at a local mid eastern grocer

EB4BD629-D0A7-4FFA-9C54-0A6370B3B683.jpeg

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Restaurant food comparison photo! Same local eatery, same dish (chirashi, a sort of sushi bowl).

April 29, 2021:
IMG_0568.jpg

August 26, 2022:
_DSC2348.jpg

Was thinking it wasn't a good sign that the previous sushi chef wasn't there, and that chirashi was no longer listed on the menu. But the chef seemed really, really keen for me not to walk away empty handed, so against my better judgement, I let him improvise. And the result may have been a valiant effort, but at $35, I no longer felt that I was getting real value for my money, as I got generous amounts of lightly pickled cucumber, shredded daikon (Japanese radish) and not a lot else. Even the rice and tamagoyaki (egg) seemed kind of ordinary. There were no other customers present during my stay, and I suppose that should have been another warning.

Top Bottom