• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's a realistic expectation for bass performance?

muskrat

I had a wood frame house that drove me nuts. No low bass no matter what. I set up my satellites in my fiance's house house. It had a walk out basement with a concrete floor and 3 out of 4 walls mostly concrete. I could rattle the windows, in the front wall, with those 5" woofers. Maybe your house is absorbing the bass.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I'll play with that, I'm curious why the energy from the woofer is so much greater, I didn't adjust the gain on the mic or output volume, it was the same.
I’ve heard pros and… not pros(?)… to the concept of vertically spreading your bass, no different than on the horizontal plane.
Personally, I have not played with the concept.
So YT douche-head videos and seemingly defunct subwoofer companies aside…
The only thing that sucks is moving subs and lifting them. ;)
Anecdotally, some of the guys that play around with multiple Devastators have reported having good measurements by turning one upside down with ports firing at 4-5’ above the floor and the other with the ports on the floor.
So same basic concept.

OP
M

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I experimented with raising a sub up, and keeping one on the floor, the low end below 90hz is very smooth, but I still have a huge suck out in my mains from 100 to 150. I raised the speakers up to what is likely an impractical height and they sound but better and the hole is filled.

I speculate I'm dealing with a vertical plane issue, would a tower speaker or driver module with drivers to the floor help alleviate this?

D

Deleted member 46664

I've noticed that I seem to prefer the sound of the towers in full range vs. with xover and sub. Is there any validity in preferring everything coming from the same speaker?

FWIW ... I've never used subs in my home setup. I have a pair of decent towers and get more than enough bass out of them.

The time to add sub-woofers is if you don't get adequate bass from your mains.

OP
M

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't need more bass, its good, my problem is now the issues with what the mains are doing. I will probably just make a new thread for advice on that.

Top Bottom