• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whatcha think about "pro" amps from Crown, QSC, etc?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
My Crown amp (sold now) would not light off the clipping light with music going to my Martin Logan speakers. I would have had to blow the panel clean off the speaker to get it to clip. My Crown had watts to spare and had no hiss at all. I might have been lucky with the hiss, but usually I'm not lucky.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
My Crown amp (sold now) would not light off the clipping light with music going to my Martin Logan speakers. I would have had to blow the panel clean off the speaker to get it to clip. My Crown had watts to spare and had no hiss at all. I might have been lucky with the hiss, but usually I'm not lucky.
Hiss where it happens is more likely to be a gain issue.... too much at the preamp and not enough at the power amp... so it is amplifying noise from the pre .

I have not experienced any Hiss from mine either.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have never experience any kind of indicator (it have lots) so far on my 1200as2.
And believe me,I have push it very hard,even with passive cheap sub to see.
But it's useful to be there nevertheless.

D

Deleted member 48726

Hiss where it happens is more likely to be a gain issue.... too much at the preamp and not enough at the power amp... so it is amplifying noise from the pre .

I have not experienced any Hiss from mine either.
Wouldn't it be the other way around? I mean a too low source gain with too high amplification to cause this?

D

Deleted member 48726

I have never experience any kind of indicator (it have lots) so far on my 1200as2.
And believe me,I have push it very hard,even with passive cheap sub to see.
But it's useful to be there nevertheless.
Well, that's also kind of in the extreme end of the home stereo scale, don't you think? :) I mean, I sure as hell hope that you don't push 600 watts at 8 ohms into any pair of floor standers. :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Well, that's also kind of in the extreme end of the home stereo scale, don't you think? :) I mean, I sure as hell hope that you don't push 600 watts at 8 ohms into any pair of floor standers. :)
That number is for 2 or 3 90 seconds according the specs,it's more like 2X300 but this is only the low amp of my active set-up,I also use 300a2 (the Edge version) hooked up together (by the hanger provided) for the mid-highs.
But no,i think I never get close to these numbers it's nice though to have all that control and information about the status of the amps.

Edit: in extreme occasion I have measured 35V in lows,but it was only for testing.

D

Deleted member 48726

That number is for 2 or 3 90 seconds according the specs,it's more like 2X300 but this is only the low amp of my active set-up,I also use 300a2 (the Edge version) hooked up together (by the hanger provided) for the mid-highs.
But no,i think I never get close to these numbers it's nice though to have all that control and information about the status of the amps.

Edit: in extreme occasion I have measured 35V in lows,but it was only for testing.
Oh, well didn't read the spec sheet on those in detail. :)

Most voltage I have measured on the amp terminals to my floor speakers is 27 V peak with music. It doesn't really say anything the power without a simultaneous current measurement but assuming different resistances it could be anywhere between 90 - 300 W. I didn't dare raising it further. -It was way too loud without hearing protection. :oops:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Oh, well didn't read the spec sheet on those in detail. :)

Most voltage I have measured on the amp terminals to my floor speakers is 27 V peak with music. It doesn't really say anything the power without a simultaneous current measurement but assuming different resistances it could be anywhere between 90 - 300 W. I didn't dare raising it further. -It was way too loud without hearing protection. :oops:
When I put them in their final case with the A an V meters (they support monitoring in real time straight into meters scaled(X 0.12 gain) ) I'll have a better view.

D

Deleted member 48726

When I put them in their final case with the A an V meters (they support monitoring in real time straight into meters scaled(X 0.12 gain) ) I'll have a better view.
Which meters are you using?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Which meters are you using?
At this time none,I have to decide a couple of things first,like same case or different ones,etc.
But it's really easy to use any decent basic meter in the market,tested it with the multimeter and it shows everything just fine,the outputs are ready (behind speaker terminals on the board)

Top Bottom