• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whataya r-e-a-l-l-y need in a good power AMP?

gattaca

OK, with a bit of time on my hands (like many of us), I recently cast an open net and then a deeper dives across our "audio amp" world for state-of-the-art "Class D" amps. I found some which stopped me dead in my tracks. I'm posting the specs below - with no names displayed b/c I want to see if we can be objective by only looking at the specs and not (*@(@ on things maybe because we don't know a lot about them or maybe investigating things which might surprise you? I know - that may be a lot to ask... so let's have some fun without getting snarky. I'll post the name and link of the AMPS in ~ 24 hours from this post... if no one else figures it out. Amir is disqualified from answering with manufacturer b/c he has part of the answer in a recent PM. And no, I have not altered the specs beyond blurring identifying model #'s. ;)

BTW, these amps are not "Made in China" and the build quality appears excellent - from what I can discern. I do not own one - but am considering starting that quest.

Just examining the specs,
  1. Would you use these one to drive your heavy low-end sub loads - 18" + subs or tactile units?
  2. What about driving your mains?
  3. What's missing?
  4. What do you like?
  5. What don't you like?
FWIW, these are not playing in the stratosphere... some recent order able as new price ranges:
  1. 2 x 500 WPC= $900 USD
  2. 2 x 1000 WPC = $1100 USD
  3. 2 x 1500 WPC = $1300 USD
  4. 4 x 500 WPC = $1500 USD
  5. 4 x 1000 WPC = $1800 USD
  6. 4 x 1500 WPC = $2000 USD
APERF-AMP01-20200809.jpg

APERF-AMP02-20200809.jpg

Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This are pro amps with a 100v output? Do you need?

Edit says: and they have fans.
<0.5%THD thats not what i would call sota for the hifi enthusiast.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
For subs they are missing a low pass filter. Judging by the connections and dip switches they're pro amps. I really have no idea which manufacturer this is.

OP
G

gattaca

^^^
  1. Yes, that's why I'm considering it more for a sub amp - though that's not the manufacturer's target. There are many who would say most people cannot actually hear less than 0.5% - though there are some that probably could.
    1. No these are not a SpeakerPower AMPs. SP does not publish their THD....
  2. Yes, these are pro amps and they can operate in low-impedance ("normal" what most of us use) or 70V or 100V commercial modes. I would use them in "normal" mode.
  3. LPF would be ahead of their inputs but they do have an HPF for each channel if you engage it.
  4. There are some other models which I find interesting too but since we like to talk about state-of-the-art "Class-D" tech...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What about driving your mains?

My amps for the main home speakers.

The little ones in the series.

They are sufficient for my purposes.

1596998165731.png

A little better on the specified distortion, no fans, and more expensive MSRP, but bought used, and are 15 years old now.

Highest measured SPL peak was 116.9dB, as a momentary experiment, using a "calibrated" drum solo.

105~110dB peak SPL is normal if listening a little too loudly for a little while.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I not see for the money why they should be better for a home application than a 2502?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Distortion less than 0.03% from normal listening volume to max power.
Enough power for your need.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Distortion less than 0.03% from normal listening volume to max power.
Enough power for your need.
@JohnYang1997 - is Topping planning to put out a mains amp this year with better than those specs? I think I recall you mentioning this and that it wasn't a HPA. Thanks

Edit: No need to respond. I just saw the L30 review and comments mentioning the upcoming amp. And congrats on the L30!

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not seeing any acoustic noise spec.
I do like the FCC Class B rating.
Might like to see a graph displaying THD vs power output.
Not super-cheap, would like to also consider options like QSC PLD or Crown DriveCore.
Dunno about the use of Euroblock connectors on a 2U amp which should have plenty of room for Speakon?

OP
G

gattaca

^^^ I agree.
  1. Why they did not put the Speakon connectors on these is beyond me!
  2. This would make a really good home SUB amp where you need a lot of power to drive some huge 4 ohms and lower loads.
  3. In commercial setups, it would make a great long term amp.
  4. These are designed to set'm and forget'm.
  5. Yeah, on the THD. I do not get worked up as long as the THD is < 1%. My ears are just not that good anymore and with the average home background noise.. good luck hearing the delta unless you run a signal diff.

"You can operate two of CA 1.54s (6,000W total each) on a single 20-amp service!" So their engineers have done some impressive power engineering to get there...

So here's the mystery AMPs. Be aware this is Ashly which is Made in the USA vs Ashley which is NOT. Some of their other amps also look interesting...

-> https://ashly.com/ca-series-amplifiers/
-> Nice youtube drop ->

Stay safe, stay alive!

sgent

I wouldn't be interested. The standby power is 8-17 watts -- and I assume that is using a 12v trigger. No signal power draw is as high as 100 watts. Standby should be less than 0.5 watts if you want to leave them powered on all the time.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not my taste either.
Interesting point however is to see how Studio and Hifi get closer.

OP
G

gattaca

Yeah, the standby is near off while idle is on but no signal. In the main use case of commercial establishments, concert halls, churches, auditoriums, etc.. these would be left powered on in "standby" all the time so it's not bad for a 3000W amp - but I agree, and that's a good point, it could be lower. If I used these in my home setup, I would always switch them 100% off via a sequencer so that # goes to 0. I never leave anything switched on but idle outside of the main pre-amp which triggers the on/off sequence and cascade. Too many chances for crappy caps, lightening strikes, and other electrical issue to take out stuff and the meter is always counting! IDK about a 12V trigger..I think they are signal triggered with no independent 12V on the rear. I was more considering this design element of 20A circuits and the Leeds (which is a big, big deal commercially). My other big reason for posting these is that they are "Made in the USA" and while ASR has a wide "international" appeal and many WW members, it's always something to consider!

1597135545692.png
Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom