• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Everyone on this list is paying attention to HCQ and hoping for it to be found effective. What people here seem to be tired of is someone belaboring the same point over and over again, like a record skipping in place. Pick up the cartridge and move the needle to the next groove.

I'm an advocate of field usage of HCQ due to the severity of the crisis, and have been before Trump recommended it as a cure. But I wish we could table the HCQ discussion on this list until we have some more clinical research.
Lol, I was "moving the needle to the next groove" as you typed!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From AAAS's Science For survivors of severe COVID-19, beating the virus is just the beginning

Description of the health issues that people who spend time in the hospital will confront after leaving, and the additional burden this will put on health care systems after the outbreak is over.

For example,

After any severe case of pneumonia, a combination of underlying chronic diseases and prolonged inflammation seems to increase the risk of future illnesses, including heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease, says Sachin Yende, an epidemiologist and critical care physician at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. His team reported in 2015, for example, that people hospitalized for pneumonia have a risk of heart disease about four times as high as that of age-matched controls in the year after their release, and about 1.5 times as high in each of the next 9 years. COVID-19 might prompt “a big increase in these sorts of events,” he says.

Patients who spend time in an ICU, regardless of the illness that put them there, are also prone to a set of physical, cognitive, and mental health problems after leaving known as post–intensive care syndrome.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
What will the world learn from all of this if each and every country is imposing the same measures?

Good @Thomas savage ?
Ha ha , that's fine
To the best of my understanding there's so many variables involved , comparing one country with another might not show a accurate picture.

I am sure it will happen as I'm sure it will suit some people's agendas to try and score points and make capital out of this.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What will the world learn from all of this if each and every country is imposing the same measures?

Good @Thomas savage ?

It will be a long time before we will be able to look back and figure out what the fuck happened...especially since it's still happening...but I'm with you. I hope we can learn from each other.

At this point we are all worried about our families, our countries, our leaders, our friends...from all over the world. I believe, despite the vast political differences represented on this forum, that not a single one of us would wish this horrible plague on anyone else here, *simply* because we may profoundly, passionately disagree with their leader or their personal politics. At least I hope not. But we are all on a different edge than the normal edge the forum carries...seems to me.

I agree with you...i hope the world can assemble everything it can from every different approach out there, put it in a big spreadsheet, and send it to @Thomas savage so he can process it properly and get everyone sorted out...

OP
A

andymok

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2169-0

Accelerated Article Preview

Identifying SARS-CoV-2 related coronaviruses in Malayan pangolins

Abstract
The ongoing outbreak of viral pneumonia in China and beyond is associated with a novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-21. This outbreak has been tentatively associated with a seafood market in Wuhan, China, where the sale of wild animals may be the source of zoonotic infection2. Although bats are likely reservoir hosts for SARS-CoV-2, the identity of any intermediate host that might have facilitated transfer to humans is unknown. Here, we report the identification of SARS-CoV-2-related coronaviruses in Malayan pangolins (Manis javanica) seized in anti-smuggling operations in southern China. Metagenomic sequencing identified pangolin-associated coronaviruses that belong to two sub-lineages of SARS-CoV-2-related coronaviruses, including one that exhibits strong similarity to SARS-CoV-2 in the receptor-binding domain. The discovery of multiple lineages of pangolin coronavirus and their similarity to SARS-CoV-2 suggests that pangolins should be considered as possible hosts in the emergence of novel coronaviruses and should be removed from wet markets to prevent zoonotic transmission.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about wet markets in general?
Sounds like bats are first and then other intermediate animals to human?

MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) through camels

SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) through civet cats

JIW

[...]
An interesting note about Sweden, if it is true, I heard a report that fully 50% of the population lives alone. That seems astounding to me, and I wonder if they have a population sustainable birth rate.

According to scb (Statistics Sweden), as of 31 December 2019, 1,879,405 persons in Sweden were living alone while the total population is 10,327,589 giving a share of 18.2 pct. Source (xlsx-file).
Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 02.37.39.png

The total fertility rate for 2019 is 1.70 children expected born to a woman. Replacement rate is 2.1 or thereabout (depends on maternal and child mortality which is low is Sweden).

However (from the same source), Sweden's population grew by 0.95 pct. in 2019. This is in part due to the crude birth rate being 1.11 pct. while crude death rate is 0.86 pct. giving 0.25 pct population growth. Most of the rest stems from the immigration rate is 1.13 pct while the out-migration rate is 0.47 pct. giving 0.66 pct. population growth. How the discrepancy of 0.04 pct. comes about, I have no idea.

Further, the total fertility rate (Barn per kvinna) for foreign born women (Utrikes födda) is higher than that of women born in Sweden (Födda i Sverige) and above the replacement rate.

Source (in swedish): https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/scb-svenska-barnafodandet-minskar
I have tried to translate it to english, but get an error.

So in the short to medium term Sweden's population will likely not decline even if the birth rate among native Swedes is below the replacement rate.

Source for more population statistics for Sweden: https://www.scb.se/en/finding-stati...population-composition/population-statistics/

JIW

39% are single households in Sweden. Two reasons:
1. People/kids move out from parents/home between age 19-21.
2. Elderly people.

As can be seen in my previous post, scb's data put the number of single/single-parent households at 2,216,437 corresponding to a population share of 21.5 pct. The number of persons in single/single-parent households was 2,408,015 corresponding to a population share of 23.3 pct.

To your explanation I'll add late marriage/child birth (avg. age for first birth in 2015 was 29 yrs) and fairly high divorce rate.

Prana Ferox

1586402813100.png

Also, the IHME model was updated again. For the US:

-# of total deaths projected decreased from 81,766 to 60,414
-Projected total bed shortage decreased from 34,654 to 15,852
-Peak hospital usage went from 4/15 to 4/11, peak daily death toll went from 4/16 to 4/12
-Under 200 deaths a day moved from 5/18 to 5/16

Robert R

Forum Donor
My wife has been making masks from old duvet covers and blue Jeans. An internal pocket holds a panel of HEPA material cut from vacuum cleaner bags. I bought this particle counter to test effectiveness.

Here a pic of a baseline measurement in our dining room. I used a kitchen funnel over the collection pipe in order to have a surface onto which to mount the mask.
Copy of before.jpg

So for the submicron level you see a count of 25000 units per liter.

Here is with the mask:

Copy of after.jpg

Now we're down to 4742, an 81% reduction. Not too shabby for a DIY. Notice the 2.5micron level dropped from 90 to 10 (88%).

Up next is my modded full face snorkle mask with a HEPA filter from aRoomba (not used of course, that would be gross!)
Copy of snorkle.jpg

But my ultimate plan is to mod a Bain mask:
Copy of bain.jpg

I think that will get me to the front of the line to get into Whole Foods...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think that will get me to the front of the line to get into Whole Foods...
I have a 3M powered respirator (for woodworking and dusty yard work) and love to wear it but I fear people think I am either severely infected or from CDC! It is the same kind used in hospitals:

3m-520-03-73-respirator-blower-battery-charger-4022016.jpg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wore the mask my wife made for me to the hardware store. I was one of only two people wearing them. I was amazed how many people were in the store! Some were staring at me likely thinking I am infected or something. One bad social side-effect is that people can't see you smile and acting polite and nice. I had to use my hands more to wave people to help me and such. Was sad that they employees were making NO attempt at keeping their distance from me....

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I have a 3M powered respirator (for woodworking and dusty yard work) and love to wear it but I fear people think I am either severely infected or from CDC! It is the same kind used in hospitals:

That's called a fetish where I come from.

OP
A

andymok

How it's gonna look like

d7M6Af3.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
These may finally find their market:

1586419426923.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom