• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tell you what @amirm cancel my account here.
The best advice I can offer is you all go and join Mr Trump in a prayer meeting.
Good luck to you all.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Over in Hong Kong, I read that they were investigating the spread of the virus via sewage that had seeped through faulty pipes
Incoming "fluid systems" (water and natural gas) are sealed and pressurized, while waste drainage from sinks, showers, bathtubs and toilets are mostly non-pressurized except for down-slope buildings that have to pump effluent up to the gravity-drained sewers. (I lived in such a house in the steep hillsides above Oakland, California, and a coupling at the effluent sump and pump equipment in the crawl-space slipped off and sprayed me with effluent while I was watching the plumber work on it. Fortunately, it was almost all soapy water and not feces!)

See the diagram for a cold-climate 3-storey residence below.

Such non-pressurized systems are vented to the atmosphere to allow "sewer gas" to escape - look at the , and apparently in high-rise waste-plumbing systems (which I know nothing about), aerosols can escape and carry pathogens - including the corona-virus - with them to areas where people routinely go.

Plumbing wet vents.jpg

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Face masks also remind you not to touch your face and do stop water droplets.

I believe that is the most important aspect of wearing a mask. Touching one's face is involuntary, and almost impossible to avoid doing.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Such non-pressurized systems are vented to the atmosphere to allow "sewer gas" to escape - look at the , and apparently in high-rise waste-plumbing systems (which I know nothing about), aerosols can escape and carry pathogens - including the corona-virus - with them to areas where people routinely go.

My understanding is that the water in the traps act as a natural barrier to the gas, so the only route is out the top...when operating properly. Problems can arise when the vent is blocked, leading to enough back gas pressure to bubble up through the trap. Also, if the traps leak or evaporate or both, that barrier is also gone.

People that live especially in multiple unit housing should be sure they don't smell gas or gear gurgling or bubbling through the toilet or other drains...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There are a range of vaccines for the common flu virus. Each year the virologists pick a vaccine that they believe will work best for the virus mutation. So no, one doesn't have a vaccine against it. It's a best fit scenario with differing levels of success for various mutations.
That's right which is a heck of a lot more than we have for COVID-19:

1585517684883.png

You have nothing like this for COVID-19. With a flu shot and personal hygiene, I can sleep easy. Not so with COVID-19 which kills people at much higher rate than the flu.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I tell you what @amirm cancel my account here.
The best advice I can offer is you all go and join Mr Trump in a prayer meeting.
Good luck to you all.
You need to work on your emotional maturity. If you want to quit, just don't post. Saying to delete your account is an emotional appeal that we could do without. If you can't stomach discussions like this, you should not have brought the topic back up....

SemperUnum

There are a range of vaccines for the common flu virus. Each year the virologists pick a vaccine that they believe will work best for the virus mutation. So no, one doesn't have a vaccine against it. It's a best fit scenario with differing levels of success for various mutations.
So one has a vaccine with a high probability of working and the other has none?

Also please explain why hospitals all around the world are getting overcrowded by SARS-CoV-2 patients while this does not happen with the flu?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have received an annual flu vaccine every year since I was a child (I am now 61) and I have never had the seasonal flu so they must be doing something right.

Until last year (Medicare kicked in and to keep the "Welcome to Medicare" Doctor happy I said "Ok" so he could check all his boxes on his checklist) I have not had a flu shot since it became (assumedly) my responsibility to seek one out, and don't know if I had any before that. Definitely none since the Swine Flu vaccine fiasco in 1976 dissuaded me at that time.

Don't think I got one this season. I'd remember getting stuck. Haven't visited the Primary Care physician.

Also don't know if I've ever had "the flu" or not.

Maybe. Don't remember taking "sick days" at work (got paid for not taking them, remember that).

Illness I'll attribute to "food poisoning" a couple of times occurred... That might have made a sick day - bad sushi in LA..

My thanks to everyone else that got their shots, I suppose, but that's my opposite story.

QMuse

Major Contributor

There is no comparison between flu and Covid-19. Vaccine exist for pretty much every type of flu, you only have to pick it based on early patients in a new season (typically from China and other east countries). Cure also exist in case flu gets nasty - you will receive antiviral medication like Tamiflu, Relenza, etc. None of these antiviral meds work with Covid-19.

You should really search a web to see how unlucky folks who got it look like when they are attached to respirator while their lungs are filling with fluid. Trust me, it is not a pretty way to die. Maybe then you should stop making this silly analogy with flu.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am about to lose my shit very soon I think. My wife is a healthcare provider at a community health center. This is the front line - sick patients show up here and if they show the relevant symptoms, they can be sent to the hospital. My wife and others are reusing N95 masks due to lack of availability. They have a handful of test kits available. Even among the providers only those with serious symptoms have been tested. My wife has not been tested yet. US response to this outbreak is pathetic at best. At the very least the providers should be protected as much as possible. This is akin to sending our troops into a war zone with no armor or ammunition.

Every day my wife comes back from work, my stress level is super high. There is a general background stress all the time. I feel like I am looking for confrontation, some outlet for this.

I've already almost resigned to us getting infected. All I can hope for is that our symptoms don't get bad enough to need hospitalization.

ICUs are even worse:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People who think this is just like a the seasonal flu, just look at my post above and the video. Does this look anything like the typical flu? This comparison is almost mocking healthcare workers who putting their lives on the line. So many doctors have already died in Italy.

EDIT: And when I hear about people hoarding N95 masks, it upsets me. It took about 20 minutes to find the right fit for my wife at her clinic. They also do a sniff test. Without a proper fit, its not very effective and one may be better off wearing a face mask and leaving these N95 masks for providers. Hoard toilet paper all you want, but FFS, leave the masks.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am about to lose my shit very soon I think. My wife is a healthcare provider at a community health center. This is the front line - sick patients show up here and if they show the relevant symptoms, they can be sent to the hospital. My wife and others are reusing N95 masks due to lack of availability. They have a handful of test kits available. Even among the providers only those with serious symptoms have been tested. My wife has not been tested yet. US response to this outbreak is pathetic at best. At the very least the providers should be protected as much as possible. This is akin to sending our troops into a war zone with no armor or ammunition.

Every day my wife comes back from work, my stress level is super high. There is a general background stress all the time. I feel like I am looking for confrontation, some outlet for this.

I've already almost resigned to us getting infected. All I can hope for is that our symptoms don't get bad enough to need hospitalization.

ICUs are even worse:
Best wishes to you and everyone on the front lines. Please thank your wife on my behalf for her dedication. We have two parents in long-term care and the dedication of the staffs is inspirational. Mass is two or three days ahead of Illinois, so we're hoping you set a "good" example. Boston Strong!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a LINK to a COVID-19 graphical model for when U.S. hospitals will be overloaded based on their current preventative action program. The group doing the model seems well-qualified, and there are many endorsements of it. The below image is an example of a state-specific graphic.

Click on any state for a specific graph for that state. I clicked on them all, and all hell might break out in the U.S. between April 13 and April 27.

CoronaVirusActNowGraphic.jpg

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not commenting on the efficacy of the vaccines themselves, but one single case is not statistically significant. Also, correlation does not equal causation.

It is statistically significant to me. :) And yes I know that correlation does not equal causality; I may have just never been exposed to the flu and all those vaccines were for naught.

I also recently had my shingles vaccines after watching my father and father-in-law deal with particularly painful cases. I had chicken pox bad as a kid.

I am a strong believer in science and vaccination. Look at what we did to small pox and polio. To bad we have so many idiots in society that measles is making a comeback.

Martin

Zog

ICUs are even worse:
Healthcare workers should be the best protected - testing, masks ... whatever it takes. At this time they are the most important people on our island, The Earth.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The state-by-state predictor in a previous post has Florida running our of hospital beds on April 27. Florida is tied for #1 in percent of population 65+, and 2nd in number of seniors who are 65+ years old.

COVID-19-Florida.jpg

Population2017Florida.jpg

PopOver65.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom