• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veri

Master Contributor
I wouldn't want to look like Boris if that's your point ;)

maty

Major Contributor
Spain

It is official, from Monday only essential activities will work for 15 days.
"During the days of paid leave they will receive their wages normally and when the crisis is over they will recover the hours spaced over time. In this way, the movements and, therefore, the congestion of the ICUs will be limited" Pedro Sánchez

Tomorrow the details will be known.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to have to click on every random link without a better idea of what's in it.

A random link with no information is less useful. That's fine...i can skip them.

I don't want to have to waste time digging out what just might be relevant to every random hominid on the internet. But I do post only relevant information in this thread.

I also filter out some research articles which, while of interest to me, I suspect are not interesting or not comprehensible to laymen.

maty

Major Contributor
I believe that, in addition to reducing ICU overload, there is a desire to avoid permanent, not just temporary, mass layoffs. Subsidies would be unaffordable by the State given the magnitude and non-aid of the EU thanks to Netherlands and Germany governments.

Many Spaniards and Italians will take note. Many others EU citizens too.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Panama continues to be aggressive in working to slow the spread of the coronavirus. Emergency overflow medical facilities have been set up in preparation for a possible large patient load. We are not under martial law, but troops HAVE BEEN deployed in Panama City to help "keep the peace" - to prevent looting and to discourage the possibility of riots. There is no standing army in Panama, a provision that was put into the Panamanian constitution specifically to prevent a military coup. These agencies are peacekeeping forces.

We have a police checkpoint about 10km south of Boquete on the only highway into our closed valley town, and an increased police presence on the streets. All non-essential businesses are closed, and the 2-hour per national ID number group is keeping traffic down and has eliminated crowds.

Troops in Panama City.jpg

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:

The police rely on Senan and Senafront personnel to guarantee public order in the capital. Vandalism attempts were recorded last night in El Chorrillo.

Some of the main streets in the country woke up this Saturday, March 28, with the presence of several agents from the National Naval Air Service (Senan) and the National Border Service (Senafront). The objective, according to the Ministry of Public Security, is to guarantee public order, and avoid breaking the rules decreed by the Government to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus that has already left 14 dead.

There are agents on Calle 50, on Vía España, at the height of the Santa Fe Hospital on Avenida Nacional, among others. On the Twitter accounts of some of these security agencies, there is information on the subject.

Official sources reported that the Security Ministry has asked Senan and Senafront to support the National Police at checkpoints. This is due to the fact that in the last few hours messages have been spread threatening looting and public disorder. On the night of last Friday, March 27, vandalism attempts were recorded in El Chorrillo. Authorities do not rule out that community leaders are inciting riots.

In several videos released through social networks, citizens of El Chorrillo were observed burning tires. While in Samaria, in San Miguelito pailas sounded. Some have questioned the fact that a total quarantine was decreed without the government guaranteeing access to food for people with limited resources. However, last night, they began to distribute bags of food that are part of the Panama Solidarity program that the administration of Laurentino Nito Cortizo devised to help those who live in the informal sector.

Public Security Minister Juan Pino reported that 18 men who make up the Panamanian security forces are across the country guaranteeing order in the streets and that the provisions of the health authorities are met to contain the pandemic.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
...We have a police checkpoint about 10km south of Boquete on the only highway into our closed valley town...

You may have mentioned it before, but how far are you from a hospital should you or anyone in your town need one? How big an area does it serve?
Hopefully if/when it gets to your corner of the world, they will be as prepared as they need to be.

Thoughts with you down there.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may have mentioned it before, but how far are you from a hospital should you or anyone in your town need one? How big an area does it serve?
Hopefully if/when it gets to your corner of the world, they will be as prepared as they need to be.

Thoughts with you down there.

Thanks Woody. Because of the lack of a coherent, organized national effort to deal with COVID-19 in the U.S., I am more worried about my friends in the U.S. than I am for myself and my friends here in Panama.

My little adopted country is only about 0.06% of the world's population, but important for the Panama Canal, and its function as a regional finance and banking center. I live in Provincia de Chiriquí, the westernmost province on the border with Costa Rica. Boquete, the town where I live, is in a valley on the slopes of Volcan Baru, the dormant volcano in the picture below. At 11,400' (3,475m) elevation, it is the highest point in Panama. We are 350 miles west of Panama City, and the population of our province is 462,000. The people who live here are called "Chiricanos." (When I got my permanent residence visa here in 2012 as an "extranjero", I qualified to be able to call myself a "Chiri-gringo." :cool:)

A big, new regional public hospital (picture below) and two smaller private hospitals are 40km/25miles down the mountain via a straight new four-lane divided highway, then a short hop to the west on the Pan American highway.

hospital-regional-Chiriquí.jpg

A free public ambulance is available in Boquete if no paramedics are needed, or it costs $250 for the private ambulance with a paramedic. Construction was completed on the new triple-building expansion of Centro Hospitalario Especializado Dr. Rafael Hernández de la Caja de Seguro Social (LINK) within the past two years. The two smaller private hospitals are available to those with money and/or private insurance. My three appointments per year with my cardiologist at one of those private hospitals - including a quick EKG - cost $65 cash per visit.

Here in Panama, we are prepared for COVID-19, and quite frankly, I'd rather be here than in the U.S. at this point in time!

maty

Major Contributor
Tarragona province,

Tuesday: 197
Wednesday: 272
Thrusday night: 353 positives (verified just now)
Friday night: 404 positives

Rate: 51/353 -> 8.1%
[Spanish]https://www.diaridetarragona.com/ta...virus-y-llega-a-21-muertos-20200328-0039.html

[ The sum of positive cases for Covid-19 in the province is already close to 500 (491). There are 414 distributed in the municipalities of Camp de Tarragona and 77 in the towns of Terres de l’Ebre.

Of these 491 total positive cases in two weeks of confinement, 227 people are admitted to the demarcation hospitals and the rest are quarantined in their homes or residences...

Of the 227 hospital admissions, 60 patients are in the ICU, further saturating these critical hospital units... ]

No death data.

New positives: 87/404 -> 8.2%

ICU patients / hospital admissions: 60/227 -> 26.4% :(

If I remember correctly the Chinese data, only 50% of those who enter the ICU survive -> 13% of those hospital admission will die! :( :(

30/491 -> 6% of positives cases will die :( :(

Spanish letality at March 27 is... 7.9% -> 31 deaths vs 491 positives

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
A big, new regional public hospital (picture below) and two smaller private hospitals are 40km/25miles down the mountain via a straight new four-lane divided highway, then a short hop to the west on the Pan American highway

That's good to hear... I worry about actual physical access for some parts of the world, more than the quality of the care once they get there. Likely misplaced worry, but I think there's a lot of that going around. ;) I'd rather hear of people's possibly misplaced concerns than hear their barely contained glee at the sufferings of others.

My brother was on vacation in India with his family about 10 years ago when his youngest son dove into a shallow resort pool and broke his neck, instantly paralyzing him face down in the pool. The 9 hour ambulance drive through the night on some of the worst roads they've ever encountered to get to the major hospital in Mumbai was likely the longest night they will ever have. My brother is a Head and Neck surgeon, so was both able to be of help to keep him stable during the 'ride', and to be terrified of the possible outcome.

Anyway, happy ending to the story as he has since recovered fully (his son I mean...my brother hasn't!), but it was a long way to go. It's likely there were closer medical centers, but given his injury that was where they needed to go.

I have no doubt of the overall quality of care around the world, but think of those who may not be able to take a quick ride down the road like most of us.

I hope it being so close never matters...let's put it that way.

Stay safe.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No this is true , our PM and health secretary are pretending to have it to throw us off the scent.
Now I Know the world is ending - DEAR MODERATOR made a post with political implications.

gikigill

He gets the ladies ..., I know it's a bloody mystery to me too

A half a million pound yearly gigs over your lifetime will get you quite far.

An acquaintance of mine is similar in this regard as he is almost 40 years old and about to marry a 23 year old PYT with dangerous hemlines.

He also owns multiple accounting practices so that might have something to do with it......

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, with all this going on, this site with all the reviews has been a welcome distraction. Thanks @amirm for keeping it going and @Thomas savage for maintaining sanity by filtering out political conflicts.

Meanwhile, Here is Bill Gates on Covid response:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A half a million pound yearly gigs over your lifetime will get you quite far.

An acquaintance of mine is similar in this regard as he is almost 40 years old and about to marry a 23 year old PYT with dangerous hemlines.

He also owns multiple accounting practices so that might have something to do with it......
Reminds me of the question on this.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a little math:

Americans in their fifties: Approx. 42.9m x 70% infection x 14% hospitalization rate = 4.2 million hospitalizations and with 2.3% mortality = 690,000 deaths. In just one 10-year age group. I don't think he's thought this herd immunity thing through.

Edits: Using latest age-group statistics from Spain as proxy for US results.
If/when the mass testing kits to check who has had it start rolling out informed decision making will hopefully be possible, until then any such move would be a big gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom