• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Travel Ban extended to Europe... But not UK...

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Meanwhile, in foreign news...

http://www.xinhuanet.com/2020-03/04/c_1125660473.htm

2020-03-04 10:45:32

(translated) "If China retaliates against the United States at this time, in addition to announcing a travel ban on the United States, it will also announce strategic control over medical products and ban exports to the United States. Then the United States will be caught in the ocean of new crown viruses.".

FT has an interesting article about the “decoupling” of economies:

— Coronavirus is speeding up the decoupling of global economies — Beijing’s opacity in handling the epidemic highlights the risks of doing business in China

https://www.ft.com/content/5cfea02e-549f-11ea-90ad-25e377c0ee1f

gikigill

My company just laid off 30% of the staff, including me, because our clients have cancelled or postponed ALL of their events. In a matter of a week we went from a regular March and April to ZERO gigs.

A friend is the stagehand union steward in Seattle and she has ONE gig to book for the rest of the month.

This is killing the live event world. If things pick up in a couple months, I'll make it through just fine. Anyone who survives this market will do VERY well when the work returns.

Christie events?

gikigill

Meanwhile, in foreign news...

http://www.xinhuanet.com/2020-03/04/c_1125660473.htm

2020-03-04 10:45:32

(translated) "If China retaliates against the United States at this time, in addition to announcing a travel ban on the United States, it will also announce strategic control over medical products and ban exports to the United States. Then the United States will be caught in the ocean of new crown viruses."

Wiki: Xinhua News Agency

Formerly
Red China News Agency (1931–1937)
Founder Communist Party of China
Headquarters Beijing, People's Republic of China
Owner People's Republic of China (state-owned institution)
Parent State Council of the People's Republic of China
Subsidiaries Reference News
Xinhuanet.com
CNC World
Website www.news.cn/english (in English)

Xinhua News Agency (English pronunciation: /ˌʃɪnˈhwɑː/[1]) or New China News Agency is the official state-run press agency of the People's Republic of China.

Too many maybes in the article.

China will be smashed if it stops imports of medical products.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actor Tom Hanks and his wife got infected with the Chinese flu in Australia. Since he has type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and he's over 60, it makes him a high risk. Maybe the first celebrity to die of the Chinese flu (that's how it should be called, as in the 1918 Spanish flu). He's a liberal Trump-hating democrat, so honestly, I don't feel sorry for him...

I think this kind of politically-loaded remarks is totally uncalled for. Particularly the forum admin has repeatedly asked not to do so...

OP
A

andymok

Just saying

Hong Kong is not even a country, and it's often compared to other regions or countries.

No it's just a 8M cities with a avg. population density of 7k per km^2, max. 62k.

If there's anything bad happen, Hong Kong is going to hit hard and be the worst cases demo you could find. So sensitive it serves like a leverage and magnifies to make things visible. And somehow the world compares this and that to a city but still not realizing and learning from it.

Good luck guys, I don't see how it can end if not doing more than we did.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New study out. Public transportation and airplanes are looking like a really bad idea now

For the study, scientists used a nebulizer to spray the coronavirus into the air in a manner similar to a cough. The virus could be detected in the air up to 3 hours later. Researchers also placed samples on a variety of surfaces. They found the virus could survive for up to 4 hours on copper, as many as 24 hours on cardboard, and two to three days on plastic and stainless steel.

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/20...hours-on-surfaces-for-2-3-days/8121583963038/

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actor Tom Hanks and his wife got infected with the Chinese flu in Australia. Since he has type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and he's over 60, it makes him a high risk. Maybe the first celebrity to die of the Chinese flu (that's how it should be called, as in the 1918 Spanish flu). He's a liberal Trump-hating democrat, so honestly, I don't feel sorry for him...

View attachment 53919

View attachment 53919
Watch the political commentary. I don't care what party someone belongs to. No one deserves to die from such a disease.

Hemi-Demon

View attachment 53919

You are an asshole for a comment like that, and that should be enough for a ban.

McFly

CONTROVERSIAL. Wheres the dislike button haha. Really no need for the politics..

LumbermanSVO

Christie events?

No, a much smaller regional company. The thing that sucks is at the beginning of the year I moved from a permanent install LED video company to this one because I wanted to get back into live events.

Yeah, this industry hasn't seen something hit it this hard and fast, possibly ever. It's uncharted territory, and no one knows what to do. I think a lot of people won't financially survive and will permanently move to a different industry. That'll be good for those who can stomach it, but man it's looking like this year is going to be TOUGH.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Superbestaudiofriends is like the only forum I’ve ever been on anywhere on the internet with a dislike button. If I find a post distasteful I’ll ironically like it instead ;)

OP
A

andymok

yes (Hong Kong) extremely close proximity to the source of the outbreak (via XRL), most densed city in the world, somehow doing better than most of the so called first world. Social distancing and reduced mobility do work but many refuse to acknowledge this

A comment from a friend. I'd like to keep trying my very best to remind you guys, my friend. Brace for impact, you gotta work so much harder to protect yourself now.

Do not wait. This is the time to ask what you can do for your friends and people now.

Last edited:
OP
A

andymok

Bringing useful advices / insights back up

I haven't read the preceding 33 pages of this thread, so apologies in advance if some or all of that stated below is repetitive. This is an email my trial lawyers group received a few days ago:

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom