• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is it time to panic now?

1583376500402.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

gikigill

I am staying on point. I put it into proper perspective and pointed out the selective paranoia that is running rampant.

It's not paranoia if it's not easily preventable or has a cure or vaccine. You can be infected unknowingly even if 1 person is infected in a closed space.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Someone hack the map ??? The 2.6M isn't showing up in the other data or graphs.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Darned Italians!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
From discord:

Hello! We are testing new features in the #Covid_19 dashboard. It may look weird for a while. No panic and be patient. Thanks! u/JHUCaSE u/JohnsHopkins #coronavirus #COVIDー19

No appears to be completely broken, so someone probably pushed some bad code. Stand down red alert!

digicidal

Major Contributor
If we're only in the the low millions of confirmed cases by the apex of the outbreak, I'll be very happy... I'm more worried that by the end of the month they'll be changing the map to display the number of uninfected for simplicity sake. OK, I'm not completely serious in that... but now that we're actually going to broadly test here finally, it will be interesting to see how problematic the initial CDC testing restrictions were. I'm going with "extremely disastrous" as an initial estimate. :confused:

WA Secretary of State:

View attachment 52882

That's good... now the bigger question is how often they disinfected the polling machines where everyone coughs all over them and pokes them with their unwashed mitts. Never you say?!?! Great... Well, at least primary voters aren't predominantly at risk elderly... oh wait... :rolleyes:

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Carnival Cruise Lines is having a trouble streak.

Another Princess Cruise Ship Is Caught Up in Coronavirus Outbreak

SAN FRANCISCO—Another Carnival Corp. cruise ship has become embroiled in an outbreak of Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus—this time in a West Coast-based liner called the Grand Princess where health officials say at least one former passenger has died after a recent cruise.

The ship, on a voyage to Hawaii with a stop in Mexico, has been ordered to return to port in San Francisco. The vessel has a capacity of 2,600 guests and 1,150 crew.

Gov. Gavin Newsom said late Wednesday the cruise ship won’t be allowed to come ashore until state officials appropriately assess the passengers and the vessel. “It’s a dynamic situation,” Mr. Newsom said in a press briefing.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Carnival Cruise Lines is have a trouble streak.
You have to assume that the majority of the people on the ship boarded despite awareness of the other cruise ships' situations... so I guess "it couldn't happen to us" played a major part in this. I hear a ton of older people saying things like "well, I can't worry about it... I've been through worse and survived." At least initial indications regarding the nearly linear correlation to patient age seems to indicate that the number of "worse things you've gone through previously" is a significant factor in how brutal the COVID-19 symptoms will be - and how likely they are to kill you.

Naturally, preexisting conditions play a major role, but how many times you've had a cold (certainly pneumonia) in your life seems to be a factor also, likely due to triggered immune responses which largely ignore this version apparently.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...se-infection-from-colds-to-deadly-pneumonia1/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4125530/

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/04/two-scenarios-if-new-coronavirus-isnt-contained/

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'd like to see:

Statistics on how this virus affects two groups:

1) Those that got a "flu shot" every year
2) Those that didn't (me)

North_Sky

Major Contributor

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Say, assuming one worse case scenario (there could be worst), and that this rate doesn't go down (it will go down); 70% of the global population infected (70% of 7.8 billion is 5.460 billion), that includes babies, children, adults and elders (pets, no, bats, no, pigs, no, chickens, no, snakes, no, dogs and cats, no) ... 3.4% of 5.460 billion is 185,640,000 or over 185 million people gone...closer to 186.

Say the mortality rate is half of that (1.7%) and only 40% of the global population is infected; 40% of 7.8 billion is 3.120 billion, and 1.7% of that is 53,040,000 or over 53 million.

I know, it's only assuming and assumptions never materialize in real life.
Or that would be the day. Wash your hands real good, don't take a chance ...
And watch movies on 4K Blu-ray or on Netflix to get your mind out of the blues and the news. Life's too short to worry and stress out about Coronavirus and death.
Unless, you cannot escape the news every single day or so for the next nine months or so ...

Whatever you do check your travel agency before you decide to go on vacation somewhere you think it's safe and secure. ...Antarctica? ...Alaska? ...Argentina? ...Sahara? ...Down the basement in your home theater? ...In your dedicated music listening room? ...Putting on a pair of cans plugged to your laptop and going through a headphone amp/DAC combo? ...Jump in your car and go grocery shopping in a town full of zombies? ...Like in the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom