• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

gikigill

I,m just stocking flour, rice, canned tomatoes, UHT milk, TP, ginger-garlic paste, tea, salt, sugar, olive oil and lentils.

Nothing serious, just 1 months worth of supply of non-spoiling food just in case.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No issues with toilet paper stock here in Canada... where do you guys live that such a thing is sold out?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Soap is generally good enough , 60+ percent isopropyl alcohol sanitisers OK, but anti-bacterial products(most common retail products) are next to useless for Corona Virus prevention.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I've been "ahead of the game" I guess, in that my wife and I both hate shopping in general (especially for essentials) so when we do go, we go big. I might only have 36 rolls of TP or so in reserve - but if survival-only food situations occur... we'll be using a lot less of that anyway. ;) As far as everything else, I'm pretty well stocked for at least a few months... although what life looks like at the end of that would definitely not be what I would call "quality" either. Some weight loss would be a good thing really, so silver lining and all.

Went to Costco to pick up prescriptions (a year's worth) and yep... not a single TP roll or container of water visible. Checker commented that their door count was significantly higher today than the 23rd of December (normally their busiest day) - 763 people in the first hour! On the one hand, I think it's a bit ridiculous... on the other hand, I'm comforted in the fact that these people will hopefully reduce the numbers really going nuts if things actually get bad. I can almost guarantee if the stories of the stores in Hawaii hadn't been blanketing the morning news - the stores here would look exactly the same as they did last week. :rolleyes:

Despite the fact that I know we have some undiagnosed cases walking around (we have to, statistically speaking) there hasn't been a single case in the state yet... but the day the video of a store ~2,600 miles away (and much closer to the epicenter) gets heavy rotation - everyone cleans the local store out completely. Not surprisingly, non-Costco stores didn't have the same occur... Target looked almost dead and I could have purchased all the TP I would need for the rest of the decade had I wanted to!

OP
A

andymok

ta240

Major Contributor

This, at first, sounds like it should ease the fears of the new virus except the numbers I've seen list the coronavirus as having nearly twice the spread rate of the flu and something like 10 times the fatality rate. People also tend to have some immunity built up to even the new flu varieties based on exposure to past versions of the flu. If we extrapolate the numbers above based on the early numbers on the coronavirus that gets pretty ugly.

g29

This, at first, sounds like it should ease the fears of the new virus except the numbers I've seen list the coronavirus as having nearly twice the spread rate of the flu and something like 10 times the fatality rate. People also tend to have some immunity built up to even the new flu varieties based on exposure to past versions of the flu. If we extrapolate the numbers above based on the early numbers on the coronavirus that gets pretty ugly.

Another perspective to ponder: HAIs (Heathcare Acquired Infections) kill more people in the USA (pop: 327M) every 12 days than the coronavirus has killed Worldwide (pop: 7.7B) in 3 months.

Meanwhile, the MSM on HAIs.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Went to Costco to pick up prescriptions (a year's worth) and yep... not a single TP roll or container of water visible. Checker commented that their door count was significantly higher today than the 23rd of December (normally their busiest day) - 763 people in the first hour! On the one hand, I think it's a bit ridiculous... on the other hand, I'm comforted in the fact that these people will hopefully reduce the numbers really going nuts if things actually get bad. I can almost guarantee if the stories of the stores in Hawaii hadn't been blanketing the morning news - the stores here would look exactly the same as they did last week. :rolleyes:

Despite the fact that I know we have some undiagnosed cases walking around (we have to, statistically speaking) there hasn't been a single case in the state yet... but the day the video of a store ~2,600 miles away (and much closer to the epicenter) gets heavy rotation - everyone cleans the local store out completely. Not surprisingly, non-Costco stores didn't have the same occur... Target looked almost dead and I could have purchased all the TP I would need for the rest of the decade had I wanted to!

Personally, I'm glad so many Costco shoppers are loyal paranoid reactionaries. Costco stock is still at 96% of its all-time record price thanks to these folks, and I'm heavy into COST. I'll gladly stop by Target to pick up TP if I have to. :cool:

sonci

Why when there's a talk about the new coronavirus, everybody speaks about the common flu.
Those who die from common cold are only in statistics, do you know anyone who died from the sesonal flu?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I just opened the world news channel.
I don't know where to start, which country.

There are just too many articles from everywhere to post here, all directly related to Coronavirus. It would take all day to post only 10% of them, and by the end of the day there would be many more new articles about shows cancelled, running out of paper towel, schools closing, Los Angeles emergency course of actions, New York, etc.

Oil consumption fell off a cliff...OPEC is in a danger zone of losing global black gold control; that's terrible.

The experts told us and they were right. Even James Bond's new flick, No Time to Die has been delayed till November. It was supposed to play next month...April.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Personally, I'm glad so many Costco shoppers are loyal paranoid reactionaries. Costco stock is still at 96% of its all-time record price thanks to these folks, and I'm heavy into COST.
I was at Costco yesterday behind a guy with a cart that 6 foot tall with water, rice, etc. He took forever to check out. Once he left before I could say anything, the cashier rolled her eyes at these people collecting all this stuff. I commented that it would be good for Costco though. She say no, they return everything they buy later, down to bread and perishable stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom