• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Master Contributor

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It looks like in Washington we are transitioning to just treating this as endemic. Not sure what this means more generally, but could be we stop canceling things and return to normal life. If you’re at risk of serious illness, good luck.

https://www.evergreenhealth.com/coronavirus

What is the likelihood that my symptoms are an indication that I have contracted COVID-19?
As status of this virus continues to evolve across our nation, the following information is intended to provide context to the rate of infection for COVID-19:

• 1 person out of 200 people who are exposed to a COVID-19 positive individual, will become COVID-19 positive (0.5% transmission rate in the general public)
  • If you are in close contact with a person who is COVID-19 positive (such as living with a person who has tested positive), your likelihood of contracting the infection is 10%
  • 80% of the population may experience mild symptoms, such as fever or flu-like symptoms that they treat at home
  • 15% may seek medical care, such as visiting an Urgent Care or Emergency Department
  • 5% may require critical care, meaning being admitted as an inpatient
  • 1.6% of confirmed cases (confirmed cases representing between 5-10% of all infections in the community) will die
  • There is an incubation period of 2-14 days, meaning the period between exposure to an infection and the appearance of the first symptoms, the average case being 2-8 days
  • A vaccine is estimated to be developed in about 9-12 months

Where in the world did they pluck those figures from ? It sounds completely invented from what I have seen to date.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I could say that this could be more likely in the US but don't want to be seen as America bashing. :rolleyes:
Oh I see what you did there... :rolleyes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/06/arts/music/sxsw-cancelled.html
If you caught the virus at a organised event could you sue the organisers ?
Not likely as it's voluntary... however, on the other hand, if you were working the event and contracted it... you could easily have a worker's compensation claim of significant size and possibly a claim for hazardous working conditions. I think this is more what is leading organizers to cancel large public gatherings... well, that and it's just a good idea in general IMO.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where in the world did they pluck those figures from ? It sounds completely invented from what I have seen to date.
I agree. I’m also pretty shocked that the same hospital system where most of the deaths occurred would go this far out in a limb with these proclamations.

If accurate, perhaps it gives some cause for optimism.

Wombat

Master Contributor
What is the likelihood that my symptoms are an indication that I have contracted COVID-19?
As status of this virus continues to evolve across our nation, the following information is intended to provide context to the rate of infection for COVID-19:

• 1 person out of 200 people who are exposed to a COVID-19 positive individual, will become COVID-19 positive (0.5% transmission rate in the general public)
  • If you are in close contact with a person who is COVID-19 positive (such as living with a person who has tested positive), your likelihood of contracting the infection is 10%
  • 80% of the population may experience mild symptoms, such as fever or flu-like symptoms that they treat at home
  • 15% may seek medical care, such as visiting an Urgent Care or Emergency Department
  • 5% may require critical care, meaning being admitted as an inpatient
  • 1.6% of confirmed cases (confirmed cases representing between 5-10% of all infections in the community) will die
  • There is an incubation period of 2-14 days, meaning the period between exposure to an infection and the appearance of the first symptoms, the average case being 2-8 days
  • A vaccine is estimated to be developed in about 9-12 months

Depends on political policies/manipulation, I'd say. Caught with your ideological pants-down stuff. o_O

digicidal

Major Contributor
I agree. I’m also pretty shocked that the same hospital system where most of the deaths occurred would go this far out in a limb with these proclamations.

If accurate, perhaps it gives some cause for optimism.
Standard fare for cursory "experts" - look how long it took similar experts in Flint MI to stop saying there weren't any lead problems with the water supply - or at least that the problems were isolated and not a reason for concern. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Standard fare for cursory "experts" - look how long it took similar experts in Flint MI to stop saying there weren't any lead problems with the water supply - or at least that the problems were isolated and not a reason for concern. ;)

Then there was the Governor(aspiring POTUS) who wasn't pro-active, in the past, in addressing the HIV epidemic for extraneous reasons - no names please.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I could say that this could be more likely in the US but don't want to be seen as America bashing. :rolleyes:
Being facetious is not helpful either .

I was not asking for opinion on the merits of the legal system in the states just wether it could happen.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I definitely think politics is a factor, but I also think it's part of common human behavior. Denial isn't unique to a particular party, position, occupation, or even educational level. Sure as education level increases the amount of rational denial becomes more limited, but it's pretty much built in to our brains on some level.

How many of us as children (or potentially as adults) when getting a serious injury try to "walk if off" by saying "it's not that bad" or "it's OK" over and over... I know I did.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Being facetious is not helpful either .

I was not asking for opinion on the merits of the legal system in the states just wether it could happen.

Exactly. Whether it happens depends on the merits of the legal systems.

Let's wait and see. Hindsight can be clarifying.

dshreter

Let's wait and see. Hindsight can be clarifying.
Precedent is very important in law, and I’m not aware that event hosts are liable for contagious guests. Hell, I don’t even think cruise ship companies are liable when there are norovirus outbreaks. All bets are off when there is true negligence though.

maty

Major Contributor
[Spanish] Las medidas con las que Taiwán ha conseguido frenar el coronavirus
https://www.abc.es/opinion/abci-hua...-frenar-coronavirus-202003070249_noticia.html

ninos-colegio-taiwan-k3xH--620x349@abc.jpg

with https://translate.google.com/

The measures with which Taiwan has managed to stop the coronavirus

[ My name is Huang Ya. I was born in Taiwan, but I have lived in Madrid for nine years, where I live with my husband born in Spain.

I write this letter because of the concern I feel when contemplating the speed at which cases of coronavirus in Spain increase and I would like to share Taiwan's experience in this regard. Two months ago it was believed that Taiwan was going to be the second country in the world with more cases of coronavirus due to its geographical proximity to China and the high traffic of citizens between both countries. As of March 6, 2020 there are only 45 registered cases, much less than Italy, Germany, France and Spain. And all this taking into account that they were recorded infected weeks before in these countries. How are they getting to stop the virus? With a protocol that includes 124 measures among which are the following:

1. Specific protocols for the identification of cases, their containment and the allocation of resources to protect public health were rapidly mobilized and instituted.

2. The national health database was used and integrated with the immigration and customs databases to generate Big Data related to the disease and proceed to its analysis.

3. Citizens who presented a higher risk (people who had made recent trips to level 3 alert areas) were quarantined at home and tracked through their mobile phone to ensure they remained at home during the period of incubation.

4. An active role was assumed in the allocation of resources, including the pricing of masks and the use of government funds and military personnel to increase their production. On January 20, the Government had under its control a reserve of 44 million surgical masks, 1.9 million N95 masks and 1,100 rooms of negative pressure isolation.

Spain must take immediate measures to prevent the expansion of the coronavirus. Although its mortality is not very high, any avoidable death is a stain on the reputation of any administration. Not to mention the economic impact it can have. I think that the Spanish Government should seek reference to alleviate this crisis in countries like Taiwan. ]

Moral [by maty]: Democratic countries have the governing that their societies deserve.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Moral [by maty]: Democratic countries have the governing that their societies deserve.

Very true - we wanted goverments that we have, we voted for them (well, not maybe single one of us but majority did), so it is only fair to say we deserve them! :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Then there was the Governor(aspiring POTUS) who wasn't pro-active, in the past, in addressing the HIV epidemic for extraneous reasons - no names please.

Member @Wombat you seem to have ignored my pleas for non political content .

You are served with a permanent thread ban

carlob

Forum Donor
Yes , a bunch of schools and doctors surgeries are shut in Torquay thanks to Italy and their miss handling of this , and the Tenerife issues are Italian in origin.

I don't think there was any mishandling

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A coronavirus recession could mean a fearful reckoning

It’s impossible to imagine such a cataclysm not tipping the global economy, already slowing noticeably, into recession – and a recession of a particular kind. The workdays lost to illness, the disruption to global supply chains, prohibitions on transit, the sheer numbers of the dead: All these add up to a sudden, sharp reduction in the economy’s productive capacity, much as if one were to blow up a sizable number of the world’s factories. Economists call this a “supply shock.”

We’ve been here before: The OPEC-driven spikes in the price of oil in the 1970s were another instance of a supply shock. What constrains output in these situations is not a lack of demand, but of supply. Which means attempts to remedy them by traditional demand stimulus, fiscal or monetary, are not just useless – they make things worse. Boost demand, when the problem is really a shortfall in supply, and all you do is drive up prices; think of the housing market as a micro-example.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some observations today as I went out. In general, it is strange to go places and see a fraction of the usual population out and about. Fortunately that was not the case in the big box stereo store near one of our major shopping centers. Even more interesting was the huge number of the staff running around asking what people wanted.

What was fascinating is that they would keep 6 foot away from you. If I took one step forward, they would take a step back! With just one person currently confirmed with the disease in our county, I can just imagine what the situation would be if the virus spread out much more. Very strange to have people be afraid of you, sick or otherwise....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom