• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

DKT88

1580861395964.png

EB1000

Is it safe to order stuff from China these days? I've just received a box from Genthaudio with XLR cables in the mail. Since the box was most likely to have been handled by Chinese postal workers, and this virus can say alive for up to 5 days, should I open it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it safe to order stuff from China these days? I've just received a box from Genthaudio with XLR cables in the mail. Since the box was most likely to have been handled by Chinese postal workers, and this virus can say alive for up to 5 days, should I open it?
Good Question deserving a proper answer... Can we get the virus from old deposits?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is from the US CDC 2019-nCoV FAQ :

Capture2.JPG

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It is rather sad that the Internet is always full of misleading information.

Maybe you could apply for work at The Ministry of Truth

1580864594852.png

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I figure anything from a Bio-Weapons lab would be a whole lot worse than corona virus. Coming from a guy that had the near deadly swine flu in the late to early 70's and other nasties including catching TB from immigrants.

Unless they were trying to modify the virus to make it even more deadly. After all, it has a long incubation period, which could make it a good weapon.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unless they were trying to modify the virus to make it even more deadly. After all, it has a long incubation period, which could make it a good weapon.

Don't want to kill the host off too quick, else it will burn itself out.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't want to kill the host off too quick, else it will burn itself out.

I wonder what the period is of being contagious before coming down with significant symptoms? That's the big question given the long incubation period.

I assume the CDC will have some estimate of this within the next few weeks.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Most strains of flu only live 24-48 hours on surfaces. I see no reason to believe why the Corona virus would buck that particular trend. I would not order directly from China via overnight delivery. Or, if you do, you should wait an extra 48 hours before opening the item. But normal mail from china is 3-5 days, at which point it should be safe to interact with your items.

OP
A

andymok

Attachments

• 13.png
    13.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 135

raif71

Major Contributor
Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah yes, Reddit, the greatest source of truth in the world. ;)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The WHO stmt. is based on coronaviruses in general. How is it certain that this CV has not evolved a protective coating?

OTOH, I'm not worried...

g29

I wouldn't want to be quarantined on the floating petri dish. New cases just doubled. (aka The Diamond Princess).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom