• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemperUnum

Not exactly. NL is the 2nd largest exporter of "Agricultural Products". So flowers drives up that total dramatically, not food. But it also include Re-exports. So the actual net food exports is fairly low, as to be expected from NL's relative size. https://humboldt.global/top-agricultural-exporters/
Almost correct, only of the fruit is 75% processed and re-exported. And that total fruit export only accounts for about 7% of all agricultural exports.

Most of the rest is NL grown/produced.

Flowers take a top place by around 10% in those agricultural exports.

One big example: NL is the biggest onion exporter, having a worldwide 20% market share.

So your assumptions of NL only having a low nett food export is incorrect.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with your post, just need to make one clarification. Viruses do more than multiply. Even though SARS-CoV-2 has only 18 genes, it appears to affect the production of over 400 proteins in human tissue. So the disease is more than a viral overload, a lot of bad things are happening at the same time. Thought that would be useful to know.

Indeed - we have several other benign pathologies with high coronavirus viral loads. So the load or overload isn't the critical issue.

Roughly speaking, this coronavirus is dangerous because, in severe cases

- it messes up vascular permeability in the lungs
- some people have a very severe non-specific immune response
- the disturbances it introduces in other cell cycles doesn't help the development of a specific immune response

Non-severe cases, or asymptomatic ones probably have a more adequate response, which is incidentally why the serum of healed patients and the specific immunoglobulins it contains can probably help severe cases, as an "assist" for the later stages of the immune response

A good video here, possibly confusing if you don't have the adequate background, but at least realistic

stalepie2

Major Contributor
ok, bats

* Bats do have a couple of characteristics which aid in disease propagation. They are often highly social and often live or congregate in caves, which are highly suitable for the growth of fungi and bacteria, not to mention persistence of active viruses.

In this video about cooking bats, the cook explains at about 3 minutes in that she uses a lot of herbs and spices to make it smell good:

The narrator then explains that bats hang upside down a lot of the time, and then they urinate and excrete over themselves, so they are dirty. It seems like that is part of the reason that diseases often come from them.

There is also a CDC in Wuhan which studies horseshoe bats. I don't know if it has been discussed already in this thread, but Tucker Carlson at Fox News brought up a paper that said this virus came from intermediate horseshoe bats being studied:

It seemed like it would not necessarily have to be "engineered" as a "bioweapon," as has been dismissed, but perhaps it accidentally spread from being studied, rather than from wet markets. Others have suggested that lab animals are later sold on the wet markets, but the Fox News video says horseshoe bats aren't eaten in Wuhan markets.

An article...
How the coronavirus outbreak likely started with a bat - Vox
https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...onavirus-china-bats-pangolin-zoonotic-disease

laowhy86 on YouTube claims to have "found" the source of this virus... I don't know about that, but it seemed interesting him showing that a bat researcher disappeared after this virus broke out. Again, may have already been covered. Sorry if this breaks the no politics rule. I'm posting about the researcher, not opinions about communism/China.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
ermm.. NO! I won't eat a bat that looks like some sort of burlap bag stuffed rag doll with fangs. :facepalm:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seemed like it would not necessarily have to be "engineered" as a "bioweapon," as has been dismissed, but perhaps it accidentally spread from being studied, rather than from wet markets. Others have suggested that lab animals are later sold on the wet markets, but the Fox News video says horseshoe bats aren't eaten in Wuhan markets.

^This

Who could blame them for studying SARs viruses after the 2002 outbreak? If they were, and how it got out? We'll, we likely will never know.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh no!!!

stalepie2

Major Contributor
^This

Who could blame them for studying SARs viruses after the 2002 outbreak? If they were, and how it got out? We'll, we likely will never know.

This article for instance is headlined, "The coronavirus did not escape from a lab. Here's how we know."
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html

but goes on to talk about engineered viruses or "purposely manipulated." But a virus that an animal already had, used for study, would look the same as one that "escaped" from a market vs one that "escaped" from a lab. The scientists have to use protective gear when studying these infected animals. It is probably dangerous work.

One of the comments under the article shares my thoughts, perhaps says it better than I can:

shortgrass lab virus.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... all corona virus issues aside. I went for some chocolate and a quart bottle of rye and am back at home all washed up and ready for more days of isolation. :D sigh* Life could be wayyy worse...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Based on current thinking, IF I was not staying in place, I would choose to use a mask.

The defining studies are still pending, simply put - it can't hurt.

Conclusion

Epidemics of novel infection in humans are inevitable and no single strategy alone can control an outbreak successfully. When facing a public health emergency with limited empirical evidence, mechanistic and analogous evidence and professional judgement become important. In high-risk regions like China, widespread, proper use of facemasks, when coupled with comprehensive health education campaigns and other personal and environmental hygiene measures, may help to mitigate the COVID-19 epidemic, but may not be necessary nor cost-effective in low-risk areas where sustained human-to-human transmission is yet to occur. Instead of dismissing the potential value of facemasks based on the lack of evidence, further RCTs and cost-effectiveness studies should be conducted swiftly to clarify the controversy.

digicidal

Major Contributor
This article for instance is headlined, "The coronavirus did not escape from a lab. Here's how we know."
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html

but goes on to talk about engineered viruses or "purposely manipulated." But a virus that an animal already had, used for study, would look the same as one that "escaped" from a market vs one that "escaped" from a lab. The scientists have to use protective gear when studying these infected animals. It is probably dangerous work.

One of the comments under the article shares my thoughts, perhaps says it better than I can:

View attachment 56949
Yep, that would be my exact comment as well.
Sure, I think we can conclusively state that it's not an "accidental bioweapon release" - it's far too elegant for our limited abilities at the present time... not to mention that there's a pretty limited application to a weapon you can't even inoculate yourselves against. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, accidents happen everywhere, and the less funding and strict protocols... the more likely they are. Science is critical in extending and preserving life... but in that pursuit we sometimes need to make things worse (or think we do) before making them better. It's not like we haven't had a number of stupid mistakes here that could have been catastrophic. Everywhere in the industrialized world this happens on an almost weekly basis.

The fact that this happened in China is coincidental - the only aspect of the pandemic that can potentially be laid at their feet is if there was a concerted and intentional coverup by the CCP early on which exacerbated the spread. If this was caused by an unintentional spread - which how likely is that with asymptomatic carriers and a long incubation period? Get infected, but feel fine... go get lunch at nearby market 4 days later, then get sick 4 days after that - and the cat's already long out of the bag. Could have happened anywhere, and likely would have had the same result - but we'll never know for sure I think.

It's our reality now anyway... doesn't matter all that much exactly how it happened - other than taking even greater steps to try to avoid it happening again... which it will eventually I'm sure. :(

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom