• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Westerdam ship remains a developing story. All but 236 passengers and a crew of some 700 had left on Friday. Other than the Dutch group, I have seen no news. It's not clear if there was a retest of the 85 year old woman. the Japanese government is taking flack for how they handled the Diamond Princess. Chartered 747's to bring Americans home landed in Tokyo a few hours ago. I wonder how many of these detained passengers are losing their jobs. Increasing numbers of cases in Singapore lead me to believe it is in the community there.

OP
A

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those recovered could still tested positive for virus presence and could still be contagious

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
As of 15min ago:
1581919803392.png

1581920440407.png

And then a follow-up:
1581919888761.png

The previous paper I read was from a group of researchers who mentioned incubation period was up to 24 days (source).
Are they implying that the incubation can be up to 94 days???
How is that possible? So they got infected on Nov 14, 2019?
First case reported was on Dec 1, 2019, as per wikipedia.

UPDATE1:
The first tweet is certainly believable.
My opinion is that second tweet is "attention grabbing" and "unofficial".

UPDATE2:
The website GlobalTimes is unreliable and has posted fake news before, as per BNONews

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
First case reported was on Dec 1, 2019, as per wikipedia.

If he was diagnosed on Dec 1 he already must have been seriously ill by then so must have come in contact with it about 2-3 weeks before that ?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Riddle me this one...

As of 10min ago:
1581922820255.png

Official notice given:
1581922784432.png

Let me get this right...
1. Over 300 passengers are flying back to US, evacuating from the "Diamond Princess", most were tested 'negative' prior to boarding
2. 14 of those passengers are been tested 'positive' for the virus right before the scheduled flight
3. They are keeping those 14 passengers on the SAME AIRCRAFT in a "specialized containment area"?
o_O

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Riddle me this one...

As of 10min ago:
View attachment 50535

Official notice given:
View attachment 50534

Let me get this right...
1. Over 300 passengers are flying back to US, evacuating from the "Diamond Princess", most were tested 'negative' prior to boarding
2. 14 of those passengers are been tested 'positive' for the virus right before the scheduled flight
3. They are keeping those 14 passengers on the SAME AIRCRAFT in a "specialized containment area"?
o_O

If its a 747 Jumbo, the 1st class cabin is a great isolation zone for such things.

dshreter

Riddle me this one...

As of 10min ago:
View attachment 50535

Official notice given:
View attachment 50534

Let me get this right...
o_O
Assuming any sick passengers must be transported by a healthy crew, solving for a robust isolation method was a requirement whether or not the other passengers were on a plane with them.

The whole thing is very scary, but I see the need to be expeditious as people continue getting sick.

g29

Riddle me this one...

o_O

It appears petri dishes float and fly ....

flying petri dish.jpg

Last edited:

HemiRick

I saw a picture of the 747 on the news, a bunch of seats were removed and in their place was a large white container, that was sealed from the rest of the aircraft....this is where the 14 were.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I saw a picture of the 747 on the news, a bunch of seats were removed

It's a cargo plane - seats were added.

No windows. No interior except what they bolted in for this charter.

Porta-potties, seats, the isolation booth, etc.

I suppose they did this kind of charter so they could empty and disinfect the whole thing afterwards.

1581939895617.png

1581939848449.png

Generic 747 cargo setup:

1581940220851.png

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
World Economic Forum: The economic effects of the COVID-19 coronavirus around the world

• China’s economic growth expected to slow to 4.5% in the first quarter of 2020 – the slowest pace since the financial crisis, according to a Reuters poll of economists.
  • "Global oil demand has been hit hard by the novel coronavirus," says the International Energy Agency.
  • Factory shutdowns are slowing the flow of products and parts from China, affecting companies around the world, including Apple and Nissan.

The Harvard Gazette: Coronavirus likely to infect the global economy

Business School's Shih expects disruptions for nations trading with China and for manufacturers dependent on it for components for electronics, consumer products, and pharmaceuticals

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Tourism dollars from Chinese tourists alone will leave a big dent in many areas of the world.

Not gonna look pretty for 2020's economic report.

And this is assuming that the current state of things remain in control and within China. If it somehow spawns a cluster in some major Western city undetected for over a week, its going to be mayhem .....

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Be careful when reading anything. The more generalized a statement is, the more likely it isn't reliable. A lot of sources and reporters are shooting from the hip. If the claim sounds incredible, it's probably not accurate. In particular, I am having trouble with predictions of doom.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Choose quality news sources. Misinformation is worse than no information.
One person's "quality news source" is another persons "fake news".

Choose many news sources and try to discern your own truth somewhere in the midst of conflicting information.

"There are three sides to every story; your side; my side; and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently."
- Robert Evans

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

g29

North Korea's reporting on the cornoavirus with subtitles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom