• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

maty

Major Contributor
#COVID19 Nuevo estudio sobre viabilidad del virus en superficies.
https://twitter.com/i/events/1244564187369570305

Stability of SARS-CoV-2 in different environmental conditions
[PDF] https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.15.20036673v2.full.pdf

covid-19-inactivation-70-degrees.png

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This evening’s news from the Civil Protection is positive.The growth in the total no of cases continues to slow and today rose by 4.1%. Today saw more recoveries (1,590) than on any other day since this crisis began. Some mild optimism looking at the following table. Here's the average daily increase in the number of admissions into hospitals+ICUs in the various regions. The numbers are improving and most regions are not at/near full capacity, even Lumbardy has still capacity.

View attachment 56371
I am continually impressed at the quality of the graphics developed everywhere bu the US. Ours are slicker but have less information. Like our ads, which are about everything except the product. The agencies believe (I know because they've pitched me this for years) that the smaller the logo the better the ad. Research says otherwise, but the creative directors want to pretend they're making Amy Poehler comedies instead of ads.
*rant over*.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I am continually impressed at the quality of the graphics developed everywhere bu the US. Ours are slicker but have less information. Like our ads, which are about everything except the product. The agencies believe (I know because they've pitched me this for years) that the smaller the logo the better the ad. Research says otherwise, but the creative directors want to pretend they're making Amy Poehler comedies instead of ads.
*rant over*.

You need to watch some of the very best Thai TV ads. So good, you have no idea what is being advertised until the message logo is shown at the end for many of them ! :D

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=thai+advertisement&sp=CAM%3D

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The agencies believe (I know because they've pitched me this for years) that the smaller the logo the better the ad. Research says otherwise, but the creative directors want to pretend they're making Amy Poehler comedies instead of ads.
The less effective the ad is the more you will need to buy, they are not dumb.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CDC considering mandatory mask wearing in public.

Where’s that quote about wearing one once the medical profession aren’t in short supply?

maty

Major Contributor
Italy's coronavirus deaths could be underestimated in data: official
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...estimated-in-data-official-idUSKBN21I250?il=0

[ ROME (Reuters) - The number of deaths from coronavirus in Italy could be underestimated in the official figures, the head of national health institute ISS said on Tuesday.

“It is plausible that deaths are underestimated. We report deaths that are signaled with a positive swab. Many other deaths are not tested with a swab,” Silvio Brusaferro told reporters.

He confirmed that official coronavirus data did not include deaths of people who died at home, in nursing homes and all those who may have been infected by virus but were not tested. The vast majority of tests have only happened in hospitals... ]

maty

Major Contributor
La OMS califica de "extraordinario" el hospital de Ifema: "Los madrileños deberían sentirse muy orgullosos"
https://www.europapress.es/madrid/n...n-sentirse-muy-orgullosos-20200331180840.html

The WHO describes the Ifema hospital as "extraordinary": "Madrid residents should feel very proud"
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.europapress.es/madrid/noticia-oms-califica-extraordinario-hospital-ifema-madrilenos-deberian-sentirse-muy-orgullosos-20200331180840.html

fotonoticia_20200331180840_640.webp

[ "As soon as I entered, it immediately reminded me of China, of that gigantic facility that they set up very quickly. But this is different because there the patients were mild and here complicated patients are being treated and that is very difficult," he said. to the hospital that was built in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province... ]

The first days there were problems of organization and lack of material. ICU beds were still not working due to lack of respirators.

maty

Major Contributor
Sebastián, el político que sí lo vio venir: "La soberbia europea dijo que era algo de chinos"
[Spanish] https://www.elconfidencial.com/espa...navirus-soberbia-europea-cosa-chinos_2526312/

Sebastián, the politician who did see it coming: "The European pride said it was something of the Chinese"
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.elconfidencial.com/espana/2020-03-31/miguel-sebastian-coronavirus-soberbia-europea-cosa-chinos_2526312/

[ A little context. On February 26, a group of energy experts meets in Madrid to discuss climate change. Miguel Sebastián, Professor of Economics at the Complutense, former Minister of Industry and former director of the Moncloa economic office, arrives in shock. He blurts out to his colleagues on the journey that it is absurd at this point to speak of renewables when the country is bound for confinement. The rest look at it without understanding very well what this is about. So, the coronavirus was a Chinese matter, but Sebastián, born in Madrid 62 years ago, is alarmed with the contagion figures... ]

ta240

Major Contributor
CDC considering mandatory mask wearing in public.

Where’s that quote about wearing one once the medical profession aren’t in short supply?

I can't even get co-workers to stop getting 1 foot away from me when they want to tell me something. And these are people that are exposed to dozens of different people a day in their jobs and then go get together with friends on the weekend still.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't even get co-workers to stop getting 1 foot away from me when they want to tell me something. And these are people that are exposed to dozens of different people a day in their jobs and then go get together with friends on the weekend still.

Show them this graphic of what's involved with getting a virus test: . Maybe that's enough to make them want to step back from you.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here in Beijing some people have returned to work (government employees I think) but restaurants are closed; neighborhoods are still blocked off with no visitors allowed, and schools are still giving classes online. It has been like this for two months. Down on the farm they are allowed to work in their fields without masks, but if they go into town they must wear them. One lesson learned from all of this as I have gazed at the photographs of heavily laden plates of food taken by my son is that the possession of a self-sufficient farm (sustainable and organic) in dire times is true wealth.

esp. for a great cuisine like in Sichuan!

maty

Major Contributor
Information and FAQs on Performance, Protection, and Sterilization of Masks Against COVID-19
https://utrf.tennessee.edu/informat...tion-sterilization-of-masks-against-covid-19/

N95-Figure-1.png

[ Sterilization using radioactive such as gamma rays has the potential to decompose the PP materials, using alcohol will erase the charges. However, charges are retained by exposing the masks in the hot air at elevated temperatures such as 70C for 30 minutes, which kills the coronavirus according to a report. But be sure to suspend the masks in the hot air without contacting or being too close to a metal surface because the metal temperature is much higher than that of the hot air leading to a severe charge decay or to the damage of the masks... ]

[ Polymer PP has a surface energy of 35 dynes/cm, a hydrophobic material, much lower than the surface tension of room temperature water, 71.2 dynes/cm. Alcohol has a lower surface tension, 20 dynes/cm, than PP. Alcohol will penetrate into the MB PP fabric and erase the charges. Therefore, face masks cannot be sterilized using alcohol because the charges are erased by either liquid or vapor alcohol. The testing standards to test a filter efficiency after erasing the charges by alcohol include ASHRAE 52.2 Appendix G, EN 776, and EN 16890... ]

[ Q2: Can the masks be treated using alcohol?

A: No, face masks cannot be sterilized using alcohol because the charges will be erased by either alcohol liquid or its vapor as described in a previous section.

My friend, Dr. Cai, a retired filtration testing scientist, had experimental data conducted in February 2020 as in the below table that support my above results in the past.

Treatment using alcohol or soap water Experimental
Initial Filtration Efficiency (3-fold medical mask) 93.2%
After Immersion in medical alcohol 67.0%
After treatment with saturated IPA vapor (ISO) 47.4%
After washing by hand with soap/water for 2 minutes 54.0%

The first web link in Q3 had the similar results of charge decay in sterilization using alcohol. ]

[ Q4: Can the masks be reused after hanging dry?

A: Not sure. According to a study published in New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), The COVD-19 can survive in the air for three hours, four hours on a copper surface, 24 hours on a cardboard, two-three days on a stainless or a plastic surface. It is reported from CDC that the possibility of infection from a package being shipped for a few days from China is very slim, which is a similar result as in the NEJM. PP is a hydrophobic plastic material with zero moisture content. The virus needs a host – a cell – to survive. A respirator can get dry in less than two-three days in a dry air environment. Based on the above reports, three-four respirators can be numbered, let them get dry, and reuse in the numbered sequence. ]

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
Show them this graphic of what's involved with getting a virus test: . Maybe that's enough to make them want to step back from you.

egad! The audioholics guy did say it felt like they were trying to scrape his brain.

It is just frustrating that if people did the simple things they were supposed to do it would shorten how long this whole messed up thing lasts.

maty

Major Contributor
In short, after spraying it with alcohol and letting it dry, my FFP3 mask is a little worse than one of the simple, unworn ones!

I will do the test. Oven at 70 ºC, oven paper and the current mask on top to check if there is any problem. At that temperature, presumably not.

On the other hand, our washing machine now works at 60 ºC and with a little bleach. Next value is 90ºC -> you can not wear colored clothes at this temperature!

Willem

Major Contributor
The Dutch prime minister just gave a press conference. The decision is to extend the current measures with another three weeks until 28 April. This means people work at home if they can but those in e.g. industry or construction can still go to work, most shops are open but under strict rules about keeping 1.5 meter distance from each other, but restaurants, schools etc remain closed. We also keep a safe 1.5 meter distance from others at all times, etc. We are still allowed to go for walk or a bicycle tour. So it is not the complete lock down that one sees elsewhere. Thus far the secret ingredient is that people are very disciplined, so more invasive measures would add nothing. Shops are still brimming with food.
Current measures are slowly beginning to have an effect on new infections, but only slowly, so we need more time. In the meantime intensive care capacity is being more than tripled this week to 2400 because it was found that corona patients on average need 23 days of intensive care compared to the normal IC duration of about 10 days, so that does not look particularly good for the 'survivors': they will be in horribly bad shape. Within about two weeks testing will be increased from the current 4000 a day to about 29000 a day. The latter will allow us to not only test hospital staff and incoming patients but also staff in nursing homes, etc etc. Large scale population sampling is under way to test for antibodies to find the level of infection in the population at large, and to see which proportion is already immune. Corona data are also being connected to a large existing "lifeline" database of more than 100000 people whose health is being followed during their entire life. This will help identify which people were particularly prone to getting the disease, let alone die from it.
Nobody really expects this to be over very soon, so the consequences for the ecnomy are increasing, even with all the government measures like the state taking over salary payments for hard hit businesses, extension of credit lines by banks etc. What worries me most is the hit that many brick and mortar shops are taking. Online shops are thriving, but if this lasts a long time many shops in our town centres will not survive, leaving us with the kind of barren down town that I know from many regions in the US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom