• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This evening’s news from the Civil Protection is positive.The growth in the total no of cases continues to slow and today rose by 4.1%. Today saw more recoveries (1,590) than on any other day since this crisis began. Some mild optimism looking at the following table. Here's the average daily increase in the number of admissions into hospitals+ICUs in the various regions. The numbers are improving and most regions are not at/near full capacity, even Lumbardy has still capacity.

FerdiGiugliano_2020-Mar-30.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, the article sounds OK for me, the head line is click bait though.

Putter

Forum Donor
Take a guess folks. But trust me, you really don't want to find out first-hand..

View attachment 56343
My first thought was that it reminded me of sickle carried by the Angel of Death which based on the video from Dr. Duc Vuong a few posts below it is uncomfortably close to reality in that the data shows that almost 50% of inubated patients die.

QMuse

Major Contributor
My first thought was that it reminded me of sickle carried by the Angel of Death which based on the video from Dr. Duc Vuong a few posts below it is uncomfortably close to reality in that the data shows that almost 50% of inubated patients die.

Correct. Here is how it is used:

Capture.JPG

Patients who need intubation are ones with serious issues, so no wonder their mortality rate is high. Stay home.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sensationalism on the cover of The New York Times:(

Agony in Italy and Spain

The headline seems to indicate that it is the whole of Spain, the entire Spanish population. After specifies hospitals, as if all hospitals were about to collapse.

Maty, I regret to inform you that 90% of Americans have never heard of Catalonia.

Lao Lu

This.
It is the response that will determine the death rate; not the virulence of the disease, not it's exponential growth, no matter to what power that growth is.
A recent example of dealing with a virus in another species can be seen in the measures taken against Newcastle's disease that effects chickens.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...virus-infections/newcastle-disease-in-poultry
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/newcastle_disease_info.html

While afaik the Chinese didn't cull the Covid-10 infected population,;) they did quickly lock down the center of the epidemic and attempted to contain it, with if we are to believe the reports, with considerable success.
The problem here in Spain and Italy and the UK is the they didn't lock down early and they didn't test. This is what is going to cause a higher than necessary death rate in the USA and has in Spain and Italy and from what I've read, other countries.
It seems the US government will lie to hide poor planning. They literally had months to stock pile basic things like face masks, but didn't and now want them all for those on the front line (which I understand now that they stupidly let a shortage occur).

However, if we all wore masks, this would greatly reduce the number of cases in the US. People can show no symptoms and still cause spread; imagine if those people were masks? Face masks are known to be highly effective at reducing spread when contagious people wear them for a virus such as this. All we hear from doctors and officials is that healthy people have no benefit from face masks. Wrong, we all would benefit if we required everyone to wear them.

Face masks also remind you not to touch your face and do stop water droplets. The countries who have beaten this virus, all seem to wear masks too. Are we really just hoping for herd immunity and willing to spend $6 trillion instead of making and distributing $1.50 face masks?!? Look at how many of the Asian countries beat this virus, they all wore face masks. For whatever reason, all the countries getting hammered by this right now don't wear face masks.

See below. This is a log plot for Czech Republic, note slope is decreasing. They recently added requirements for everyone to wear a face mask (3/2?).

Hong Kong also requires a face mask:

South Korea? Yep, they wear face masks and beat this virus too. I'm not going to include China because I don't trust their numbers, but Taiwan beat this virus and their government even took control of manufacturing face masks to ensure there were enough. The US government only knows how to print money and devalue my savings.
I am here in Beijing (since 2003) and my wife and children are 1200 miles away down on the family farm in Sichuan. In my Wechat circle of friends I have over a 1000 contacts (I have been a teacher all these years) and aside from asymptomatic cases I believe that the numbers from China are most likely reliable. I was advised by my school to return my tickets (I had a later start planned for the Chinese New Year) and have been, like hundreds of millions of other people, totally isolated and only going out once a week to the grocery store (everyone wearing mandatory masks). I have a good friend in Hubei province and asked him if he knew personally of a single case and he answered in the negative. Another friend, a graduate of UPenn, is in Wuhan and also has no personal knowledge of a single case. Within my circle of contacts of students and teachers I do not know of a single case. As I stated previously, posts in Chinese critical of the initial mistreatment of the doctor who tragically died at such a young age were NOT removed. New cases in Beijing are announced by the distict, and in some cases, by the neighborhood of occurrence. As soon as a connection was identified between returning travelers all international flights into the capital were rerouted to other cities to effect mandatory quarantine. Six miles away from where my family is there was one case (a visitor from Hubei) that was completely sealed off; each village in those mountains was , like my building complex in Beijing, barricaded and restricted to residents only who are allowed to go out for grocery shopping, and whose temperature is taken at several points of ingress and egress. All countries, China included, have their positive and negative attributes, all of which are best evaluated from a socio-historical context. In their efforts to control, and moreover, to treat the victims of this virus, China has taken decisive and effective measures that involve enormous costs.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monday, March30, 2020: Latest coronavirus news from Panama:

Panamanian health authorities stated on Monday afternoon, March 30, that 27 deaths have been registered in the country due to the new coronavirus, and a total of one 1,075 cases have been confirmed, of which 888 are in home isolation. There have been 24 deaths and 36 people are in critical condition)

In addition, the Minister of Security, Juan Pino, said that beginning on Wednesday, April 1 at 5:00 am, an absolute quarantine for 15 days will begin. During this time period, women can only leave their residences on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, while men can only leave on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. On Sundays all Panamanians are asked to stay in their homes.

-------------------------

Two [Panama] Canal pilots carry out humanitarian transit for the cruise ships Zaandam and Rotterdam:

The Zaandam transported the group of tourists, in addition to four corpses of passengers, two of whom died from coronavirus and the other two from other causes, confirmed the administrator of the Canal, Ricaurte Vásquez.

The two vessels entered Canal waters the night of Sunday, March 29, after remaining in Panamanian waters for several days. They completed the crossing by the interoceanic route at 5:00 am today, March 30, at the Agua Clara lock, in the Atlantic sector, this Monday. The pilots boarded the boat with the protective implements. Masks, gloves and special costumes. As a security measure, the two pilots in the operation of the two ships were quarantined for the next 14 days.

The transit operation took place after the Ministry of Health authorized the crossing of both ships under strict planning between the Panama Canal Authority and the Union of Practices of the Panama Canal (UPCP), so that both vessels transit in a manner safe and expeditious.

In addition, it was coordinated with a team of pilots, who were from different points in contact with their colleagues in command of the navigation of Zaandam and Rotterdam.

Vásquez emphasized that this was an exceptional case and the decision to not allow the transit of vessels carrying people with symptoms of coronavirus remains.

Zaandam Cruise Ship.jpg

DarthVince

In their efforts to control, and moreover, to treat the victims of this virus, China has taken decisive and effective measures that involve enormous costs.

Unfortunately, the cost has been far greater to other countries!

I can't help but feel that China may have keep the extent of the outbreak under wraps for as long as possible so that they could amass critical supplies. The Chinese government directed private companies to conduct a mass raid on the much needed medical supplies of small countries like Australia as early as January. A friend living in a small coastal town in Australia witnessed this first hand when a bus packed with (fake) tourists pulled up outside their small community store and emptied their shelves of gloves, toilet paper, cleaning products and so on. The manager was present at the time and was able to promptly kick them out empty handed. Nearby towns reported the same.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...s/news-story/d5324e3676d38af509d5ac25c56e7cec

digicidal

Major Contributor
Hmm ... Maybe not if Walmart & Co. pays its employees an average of $26 an hour x 6 hrs. instead of the average of $13 x 12 hrs .
That's not what the local grocery stores are doing - at least not yet. They're cutting hours but not increasing wages. As a result I expect they will find many of their employees quitting now that they can collect unemployment benefits (possibly in excess of their wages) by applying under the "fear of a dangerous work environment" classification. I don't know about Costco however, they might be increasing wages as well.

Maty, I regret to inform you that 90% of Americans have never heard of Catalonia.
I'd wager that although most have heard of Spain... probably less than 30-40% could find the country on a map (without using their smartphone). Geography stopped being a required course long ago unfortunately - it was woefully inadequate when I was in school... and things haven't gotten better in the past 30 years. :( I'm sure 85%+ could tell you what Kim Kardashian was wearing yesterday however. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Monday, March30, 2020: Latest coronavirus news from Panama:
During this time period, women can only leave their residences on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, while men can only leave on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Is there a reason why they decided to make it the men and women segregated on specific days of the week? Is it the easiest way to divide the people or some sort of societal traditional reasons?

raif71

Major Contributor
During this time period, women can only leave their residences on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, while men can only leave on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Is there a reason why they decided to make it the men and women segregated on specific days of the week? Is it the easiest way to divide the people or some sort of societal traditional reasons?

Perhaps easier to identify people that violate the rules ? It'll be easier to identify men amongst women and vice-versa.

astr0b0y

That is interesting. Maybe it’s a safety precaution? With limited people out, women may be in more isolated situations with men (and therefore risky).

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding Panama's latest quarantine restrictions - my first reaction to a message from a friend on WhatsApp was "yet more fake news" - but then I saw the confirming tweet from el Presidente Laurentino Cortizo.

NitoCortizo.jpg

Here is a LINK to the official notification at the website on MINSA, Panama's ministry of health. (View with auto-translate in Chrome if you don't read Español.)

Edit to add a note from MINSA:
Panama began the implementation of the containment measures on the 9th day of the start of the outbreak, unlike other nations, whose strategies began 30 days after their confirmed positive. This has allowed the national health system to prepare for the care of people affected by COVID-19.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom