• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks for pointing toward this study.

I get up early...;)

You guys seem to be ahead of the curve in lots of ways. I hope that between testing advances, treatment improvements, ramped up production of vital equipment, and continued participation from the private sector all around the world (Dyson, Musk, others), we can cherry pick the very best to minimize the damage from myriad missteps from all corners moving forward.

Between the 5-15 minute max on site test that's just about to roll out from Abbott Labs and immunity tests (once shown reliable obviously), hopefully we can do much better at keeping it within the capacity of the health care system.

Thomas H

You guys seem to be ahead of the curve in lots of ways.
I don't see that in the published numbers so far, although I was in the city on Saturday and it was deserted. Same for our "Autobahn": typically it is "wartime" when I drive to work on Monday and back on Friday, currently it is a pleasure to commute. So, a lot of people stay at home, apparently. I will give it another week until improvement should slowly appear in numbers as well (hopefully). Good luck on your side of the pond, seems things are finally moving in the same direction as far as social distancing is concerned.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is it that this chart and 600,000 deaths per year are not as terrifying as CV19?

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

I suspect it is because CV19 brings with it a fear of the unknown and we are bombarded with fear evoking headlines.

Oh, not again...

Heart disease is "easy": eat less, eat better, smoke less, exercise more.

Bonus: your heart disease doesn't contaminate or kill your care-givers.

btw, IHME stats (IHME is the organization who provided the bed/ventilator stats used yesterday) - they do a lot of "burden of disease" analysis usually.

1585573488985.png

maty

Major Contributor
Del Seat León al respirador y del Nissan Navara a las máscaras de protección
[Spanish] https://www.elperiodico.com/es/moto...n-navara-a-las-mascaras-de-proteccion-7910371

From Seat Leon to respirator and from Nissan Navara to protective masks
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.elperiodico.com/es/motor/20200330/del-seat-leon-al-respirador-y-del-nissan-navara-a-las-mascaras-de-proteccion-7910371

de-fabricar-coches-a-respiradores-009-1585567537684.jpg

OxiGEN respirator, produced at the Seat plant in Martorell

1585567538647.jpg

Part of the windscreen wiper motor used in the respirator. / SEAT

1585567538656.jpg

Long-term test of the respirator produced at Seat Martorell. / SEAT

QMuse

Major Contributor
I live downtown next to my 24 hour store and they have changed the hours to 8-8. Thr store is jam packed and it’s impossible to maintain 6 foot distance between others when it’s that busy. They should keep it open 24/7 and only let 50 people in at a time using two security guards. I’m trying not to go to the store more than once every two weeks but if I’m going to get sick I think It’s going to actually happen because of others stupidity.

In my country government has introduced a law which forces food shops, pharmacies and gas stations to hire security personnel who takes care that only a certain number of people are in the shop at the same time (depending on the size of the shop) while others are waiting in front of the shop in the que 2 meters apart from each other. It works well. All other shops are closed.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Helmholtz Institute
Not related to COVID-19, but I'd like to highlight that Helmholtz' medical research was extremely important to psychoacoustics and understanding the anatomy and mechanisms of the ear.:)

maxxevv

Major Contributor

rajapruk

Forum Donor
The medical care takes very long time a doctor said, 2-3 weeks. It is a very slow disease.

Jess

But the reality is other, at least in Spain:

Casi el 90% de los españoles ha salido de casa en los últimos siete días
[Spanish] https://www.elespanol.com/espana/20200330/espanoles-salido-casa-ultimos-dias/478452570_0.html

Almost 90% of Spaniards have left home in the last seven days
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.elespanol.com/espana/20200330/espanoles-salido-casa-ultimos-dias/478452570_0.html

Coronavirus-Enfermedades_infecciosas-Infecciones-Estado_de_alarma-Espana-Espana_478463271_149337102_1706x960.jpg

Politica_478463272_149337134_640x360.jpg

Many go out just to buy a loaf of bread and, incidentally, have a coffee. Instead of buying sandwich bread that lasts for several days. The only one that comes out is me. The others, the balcony and the large terrace to walk and be in the sun.

La sociedad española aún no es muy consciente de la catástrofe que se avecina. Sanitario y económico. Habrá un antes y un después. Lamentablemente, tenemos gobiernos incompetentes en España, ya que los cargos por cargos sectarios y mediocres de partidos políticos están cubiertos. El Ministro de Salud es solo un filósofo, que ha vivido toda su vida desde la política, con eso todo está dicho. Los mejores jefes del país huyen de la práctica política.

Afortunadamente, el resto funciona, pero los responsables de la estrategia no están a la altura de la tarea y no le dicen a la población la dura verdad.

Guau. "El Español", periodismo de alto nivel. La encuesta es estúpida e inútil. ¿Quién sale a tomar un café? ¿Dónde? Eso es todo
cerrado. No sé sobre ti, pero no soy uno de los afortunados donde el asistente lleva comida a casa, lleva al perro a pasear y tira la basura mientras estoy en la piscina. No puedes construir el todo con una parte y concluir que las personas son estúpidas. Percibo que los españoles son mucho más disciplinados de lo que piensas. Bueno, parece que no solo hay gobiernos incompetentes en España a la luz de los datos ... ¿Es el Ministro de Salud solo un filósofo? Qué absurdo. Copiar y pegar, copiar y pegar. El sesgo es lo menos importante, ¿verdad? Después de la guerra, todos son generales en el ejército. ¿Tú también, Matty?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That makes some sense, although they were never operating for 16 hours (normal hours were 10a-8:30p) here - the problem is with the fact that they have consistently made horrible choices for everyone's safety throughout:
1) Kept the food court open... yep, I'm serious. It won't be open during their special "Senior Hours" but the rest of the time it will.
2) Made a "staging corral" where everyone has to congregate in order to get into the store - 20 at a time last I heard. The other 100+ people are all in a mass held in like a prison made of hundreds of shopping carts in a wall.
3) Pulled much of their foods from the website (now only in the warehouse) - although there's still plenty of Wagyu beef sets... so I guess we're gonna be eating some amazing steaks!

I could go on, but why. These decisions may (and I'm far from convinced) help protect staff from infecting other staff... but it does nothing to prevent the public from infecting the staff (and each other). But I'm sure their stock price is going up with some big posted gains in the future, so at least that part of the economy is saved. :rolleyes: About 5 years ago the grocery stores stopped being open 24hours (crime increase due to all the Californians moving here)... those were the days... now that we need less exposure and lower densities - 10 hours is all ya get.

Usually supermarket staff will need to put in some time before opening and some time after closing too. Not to mention their shifts need to overlap.
If the morning staff went in 2 hours earlier and the evening staff left 1.5 hours after closing, with an overlap of 1 hour between shifts, that would make for about :

10.5 (operating hours) + 2(pre-opening work) + 1.5(post-closure work) + 1 (shift 1 overlap) + 1(shift 2 overlap) = 16 hours, or 8 hours per shift.

maty

Major Contributor
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020/03/16/actualidad/1584379038_891570.html

Coronavirus cases in Spain by communities
Last update: Monday, March 30 at 11:30 a.m. with data from the Ministry of Health.

covid-19-positivos-CCAA-30032020.png

In Madrid 6.2%, País Vasco 5.5%, Navarra 6.7% and La Rioja 6.4% the outbreak started earlier. The national 8.1% is because other communities are still on the rise as Andalucía 15.4% or Galicia 18.6%. We are going better than I thought!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

The effect this will have on our various national psyches going forward with possible long term behavioural changes as a result.

One of the reasons Sweden has taken ”the recommendation” path instead of legal lockdowns of people is fear what will happen with people and health being in lockdown for months. Will see when all of this is over ...

maty

Major Contributor
The problem of being locked up is if there are many people in a small space, which I do not think is the case in the Nordic countries. It would be much more difficult for me to bear to go months without seeing the sun because it is cloudy or because of the fewest hours of sunlight.

If confinement had happened decades ago, it would have been harder and more unbearable, I say.

maty

Major Contributor
Lecciones de 1918: las ciudades que adelantaron el distanciamiento social crecieron más tras la pandemia
[Spanish] https://elpais.com/economia/2020-03...to-social-crecieron-mas-tras-la-pandemia.html

Lessons from 1918: Cities that advanced social estrangement grew more after the pandemic
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&from=&to=en&a=https://elpais.com/economia/2020-03-30/lecciones-de-la-gripe-de-1918-las-ciudades-que-adelantaron-el-distanciamiento-social-crecieron-mas-tras-la-pandemia.html

[ Study concludes that the biggest restrictions not only reduced mortality but also mitigated the economic blow of that U.S. flu outbreak... ]

[ All precautions are few: the world and the economy have changed, and much, since then. But the influenza epidemic at the beginning of the last century, according to researchers Sergio Correia, Stephan Luck and Emil Verner, also leaves some valid lessons to face the economic shock of the coronavirus. Among them, that the cities that were ahead in taking social distancing measures and were more aggressive in their application "not only did not perform worse, but grew faster when the pandemic passed." And that “non-pharmacological interventions [among them, the closing of schools, theaters and churches; the ban on public gatherings and funerals; quarantining the suspected cases and restricting business hours] not only reduced mortality, they also mitigated the adverse economic consequences of the pandemic," the researchers close, the first two from the US Federal Reserve and from the New York Federal Reserve and the third from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)... ]

Nango

Major Contributor
Lets look this way on Covid-19. Less people dying now due to better and less poluted air conditions than people dying on Covid-19. Mother nature is wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom