• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What you need to know about the virus in China "2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Many youtube doctors said insufficient data a week ago
Many are just sorry after seeing the "data" on one night shift a week later

but then it's already too late to talk about any preventive measures
too little too late, because we're so obsess with numbers and data that we couldn't let go, wouldn't believe or accept without seeing

we all are have our learning curves of course, such as expensive lesson, I can't even tell what's worth and what's not.

of course, micro makes macro, it always helps doing your own part.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The percentage that contract the virus isn't what's important. The important statistic is the percentage that survive, not the percentage that die.
Many will contract the virus and not even register in the statistics. There isn't a health service imaginable that could cope with every case of contraction.

Important to what? The percentage of people who contract the virus is important to understanding whether or not mitigation and containment methods are working. But ultimately, to most of us, the most important concern is the number of people who die.

maty

Major Contributor
https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-03-25/cinco-crisis-sanitarias-en-una.html

IFEMA, field Hospital

covid-19-IFEMA-active.jpg

maty

Major Contributor
Més de 500 morts a Barcelona i àrea metropolitana
[Catalan] https://societat.e-noticies.cat/mes-de-500-morts-a-barcelona-i-area-metropolitana-129932.html

More than 500 deaths in Barcelona and metropolitan area
https://translate.google.es/translate?sl=ca&tl=en&u=https://societat.e-noticies.cat/mes-de-500-morts-a-barcelona-i-area-metropolitana-129932.html

[ Mortalities by health region:
- Central Catalonia: 71
- Lleida and the Pyrenees: 20
- Girona: 37
- Tarragona: 8
- Terres de l'Ebre: 1
- Barcelona: 535

Serious cases:
- Central Catalonia: 56
- Lleida and the Pyrenees: 33
- Girona: 58
- Tarragona: 38
- Terres de l'Ebre: 8
- Barcelona: 828 ]

0.3.- DISTRIBUTION OF HEALTH SERVICES ACCORDING TO THE CURRENT HEALTH MODEL
Distribution map of the 7 health regions in Catalonia

Catalunya-regions-sanitaries.png

Last edited:

pastorbarrett

Important to what? The percentage of people who contract the virus is important to understanding whether or not mitigation and containment methods are working. But ultimately, to most of us, the most important concern is the number of people who die.

Indeed, I find similar faults in my own disposition; I'm less likely to think of magnetic fields and electrons whilst listening to music, more likely to meditate on the fairer sex perhaps. Such is the folly of feeling...

Data and a macro views give perspective and afford potential for widespread betterment, but both for me are a poor salve for familial or friend loss.

maty

Major Contributor
Trump intenta conseguir materiales médicos de países de Europa y Asia, incluida China
[Spanish] https://www.abc.es/internacional/ab...asia-incluida-china-202003261026_noticia.html

Trump tries to get medical materials from countries in Europe and Asia, including China
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&from=&to=en&a=https://www.abc.es/internacional/abci-trump-intenta-conseguir-materiales-medicos-paises-europa-y-asia-incluida-china-202003261026_noticia.html

[ The coronavirus crisis has unleashed a real crusade in the world to achieve at least three things to help combat it: treatment, a vaccine, and the medical supplies needed to cope. And it looks like Donald Trump is at the forefront of that quest. If a few days ago it was known, thanks to a publication by the Welt am Sonntag newspaper, that the US president had tried to convince German laboratories to advance research into a lost fund vaccine in exchange for patent rights, to guarantee the exclusive right of it for the AMERICAN giant, now the British The Guardian has revealed that he has done the same but with the search for medical supplies.

Although Trump has publicly defended his country's strength to fight the pandemic by arguing that "we should never rely on a foreign country for our own survival" and that "the United States will never be a begging nation," on the other hand, has tried to have its European and Asian allies sell it supplies, such as test kits and other medical teams in the face of its country's scarcity and the scale of the threat it faces... ]

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/2...ises-restricciones-espanoles-coronavirus.html

World map of the countries that impose restrictions on Spain due to the coronavirus (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

Mapa-mundo-paises-no-entrada-espanyoles.png

Amir will have to wait a while for me to go hug him and kiss him :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/26/spain-coronavirus-response-analysis

by Giles Tremlett https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Tremlett

[ The main reason for the quick spread through Spain may be completely mundane. It has been an unusually mild, sunny spring. In late February and early March, with temperatures above 20C (68F), Madrid’s pavement cafes and bars were heaving with happy folk, doing what Madrileños like best – being sociable. That means hugging, kissing and animated chatter just a few inches from someone else’s face... ]

I believed that The Guardian was a serious newspaper and not a yellowish pamphlet.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This is what I retain from what I have learned so far.

This virus is very efficient at infecting people thus perpetuating itself. It can very quickly affect a very large number of people. If containment or other measures are/were not enforced and strictly, the rate of infection could/would rise above 60%. Worldwide, planet wide ... About 5 Billions of people... Assuming a conservative mortality rate of just ... : 0.7% that is 35,000,000 persons that will cease to live in a short while.
Those are staggering numbers and can explain the draconian, primitive but so far effective measures taken. Will we become wiser and start treating our planet and our fellow human beings differently? My hopes are not high, seeing how the profit motive remains at the forefront ... of even those initiatives to save ourselves, the Human race. Some have even declared a "war" to/on the virus ...:rolleyes: ...

Last edited:

Shadrach

Currently.
China, population 1,396,164,036
Deaths attributed to Covid-19 3,278.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not getting overly philosophical but here I go.

In the face of this new menace, our response has been Social Distancing and it has worked..
Herd Immunity is a real phenomenon. It is not easy to control but it does happen and throughout our history as a race, we became immune to microbes and/or their mutation, it is a dynamic ever changing, highly complex and poorly understood process. The simplistic notion of distancing ourselves of all human physical contacts stems from our view that ALL microbes must be eliminated, thus you have people calling themselves "germophobes" and cleaning everything in their household with Lysol and/or bleach .. producing in the process superbugs that wreck havoc with their health .... We have a rather poor and limited understanding of our relationship with the microbes ... When one realizes that we have about 10 trillion cells composing our body and at any given time 100 trilions microbes living on, in us .. I am not sure the viruses are counted in these else the number could well be 1000 trillions microbes on each and every human beings ...
Herd immunity works when elements of the herd transmit their microbes and their immune response to the individuals in herd via microbes ... So far it is not via telepathy or even the more plebeian electronic virtual presence ... body fluids have to mix somehow for this to happen or at least physical proximity so the organisms can "jump" from one person to the other ...

So people better find a way to treat this thing and resume our human interactions .. Our conversations , our gatherings, our protest marches, our being Humans

Being on a small rant ...
Much has been said about them Asians with their proximity with animals ... while we, the thoughtful non-Asians. kiss our pets, play with our pets, take them to the veterinarian, visit our pets stores ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

To Health!

Shadrach

What you need to know about Covid-19 is it’s a flu type virus. It doesn’t really matter any more where it came from, or even how it infected humans.
We get viruses every year; each one different from the last. They mutate.
Each year millions get infected by such viruses. Some are more virulent than others.
Each year hundreds of thousands of people die who get infected by such viruses; many die due to compromised immune systems rather than through the effects of the virus alone.
Many other species get viruses.

It would seem that the media, some individuals and politicians have ramped up a considerable amount of hysteria to this particular flu virus. Many will contract the virus and not even be aware of it. Many others will contract it and have flu like symptoms for a couple of weeks. Some with compromised immune systems will die if they contract the virus. Most will not die from the virus.

Look at the numbers compared to other diseases and other pandemics. Work out percentages and you'll feel safer.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/

We are being manipulated.
Here is an example of how.
I keep chickens (now they do have an extermination problem) They call me Bucket Boy.

“Bucket Boy, will the virus kill me.”
P3052753.JPG

Mashcky

Forum Donor
We are being manipulated.
Here is an example of how.
I keep chickens (now they do have an extermination problem) They call me Bucket Boy.
This is very interesting. Can you please provide more insight into the source and motive behind the manipulation beyond making analogy to your birds? (as enlightening at that is!)

OP
A

andymok

I hope doctors in the frontline, their stories, feelings, words that spit out of their mouth were "mediated" as well.

No one asked for a quarantine, they literally did. At least that's what happened at my place.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What you need to know about Covid-19 is it’s a flu type virus. ... Many will contract the virus and not even be aware of it. Many others will contract it and have flu like symptoms for a couple of weeks.

"In the emergency room on Monday, Dr. de Souza thought she saw a familiar face. A patient was coughing so hard he could barely speak. The young man was one of their own, Dr. Yijiao Fan, 31, an oral surgery resident with no prior medical issues who had tested positive for the virus. He had been in isolation at home all week and thought he was getting better, but began coughing blood that morning." Just the flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom