• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What would you donate for us to test speakers?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As I have noted in the other thread, the right gear is just waiting for us to start testing speakers at a very professional level. And done right, we should even be able to predict listener performance based on those measurements.

The challenge is the cost which currently is north of $50,000. I am willing to fund good bit of it myself but can't go this high.

Question is, how much would the membership be willing to fund? So how about posting what you are willing to donate toward this cause. Or if you prefer, send a message to me privately. I am just trying to get a sense of order magnitude. No commitment is being asked at this time.

The idea of asking for money from member as it is now is to keep our independence at very high level without sponsorships, ads, etc.

Thanks in advance.

GaryS

Forum Donor
Amir,

I am just the new guy to the forum and to the hobby, but I really find this to be the only meaningful site that I have found. I have no problem with a quick $250 with no second thoughts.

I was thinking that this hobby/interest may have suffored over time by the lack of transparency in the industry. Maybe folks have given up after being mis-informed for the money that they have spent. Most people dont like to be lied to. Especially when it involves their wallet.

Gary

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know ' ASR bought to you in association with Blue Ribbon ' , somehow strikes me as fitting.
How about Alpo.
https://www.purina.com/alpo

We find the dogs in the audio world.

1563523639140.png

Wombat

Master Contributor
No donation. I have keepers.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
I think you are getting into an area where you need a business case - even if it is not for profit. :cool:

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I'm good for $250.00 or $20.00 per month till we have achieved our target.

Either way I would recommend the monies donated remain in a trust account until the target is achieved. A date should be set and if not achieved then funds are to be returned.

Or you could do this as a crowdfunding project.

I have keepers, since 2004, however I'm not deluded into believing that they reproduce the absolute.
I would welcome better scientific data on a variety of speakers.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are getting into an area where you need a business case - even if it is not for profit. :cool:
Do you mean like some sort of non-profit.

The Center for Audio Performance Transparency which works to offer third party independent measurements of audio gear for an informed audio buying public.

Hemi-Demon

$200 I have my speakers set, but I'll support the cause. As long as the forum stays non corporate, count me in.

That testing system is very finicky, so make sure you factor in the maintenance/repair costs. I don't have one, but I have watched a few folkstest on that system for car audio and tower speaker design.

quorzar

By the way, this would be the first "project" I would pay money for, even monthly. 100$ if its like kickstarter etc. or monthly 10$. Or maybe an other model: 10$ for the "Test Article for Speaker XY" and 25$ for the "Test Article for Speaker Z" etc.
The monthly money I would pay depend on the speakers that would be the tested. Then I even would pay more money, or less :)

I hope youll get the money. The thought to see the usual high quality measurements and tests, blows my mind!!! Thank you for that.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I have noted in the other thread, the right gear is just waiting for us to start testing speakers at a very professional level. And done right, we should even be able to predict listener performance based on those measurements.

The challenge is the cost which currently is north of $50,000. I am willing to fund good bit of it myself but can't go this high.

Question is, how much would the membership be willing to fund? So how about posting what you are willing to donate toward this cause. Or if you prefer, send a message to me privately. I am just trying to get a sense of order magnitude. No commitment is being asked at this time.

The idea of asking for money from member as it is now is to keep our independence at very high level without sponsorships, ads, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Does ASR have its own legal personhood? I think it may be necessary to get tax advice before seeking donations on this scale.

That said, I'd put in at least $100.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does ASR have its own legal personhood? I think it may be necessary to get tax advice before seeking donations on this scale.

That said, I'd put in at least $100.
Yes ASR is a legal entity ("LLC" or Limited Liability Corporation). According to US law, all of its revenues and expenses get blended into my own person tax return (it is a legal/liability shelter, not tax). In this case the donations will be taxable but the equipment purchased will be depreciated against it. I declare even tiny donations made to the forum outside of this effort.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$100 would not be a problem, but I wonder if you can get there if this would be typical. I would do this maybe not every year, more likely every other year a few times? Don't know if you could front us a lot of it and trust you get most back over time?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Have to think on it, "something" I am sure. Frankly I'd rather go for a load box to stress-test amps since that seems to be a gap in most datasheets and reviews.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I must be old fashioned. I just don't get the modern way of begging for money that seems to be in fashion these days. Everything from 'influencers' wanting free stuff, to people wanting their followers to pay for their overseas holidays. It doesn't sit right with me.

I question why membership should be asked to consider bankrolling expensive test equipment for the site owner to test loudspeakers, when the only benefit they may possibly get is when they open their wallet yet again, to buy another pair of speakers.

It is not, after all, the membership getting speakers to play with, whether they are loaned, gifted, returned or sold for a nominal amount. Without ongoing and updated disclosures of any commercial interests, gifts, etc. (which to date, there are none I can see, despite it being raised a few times), I think I'll just regard my carefully considered contributions to the forums and threads as sufficient at this stage.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must be old fashioned. I just don't get the modern way of begging for money that seems to be in fashion these days. Everything from 'influencers' wanting free stuff, to people wanting their followers to pay for their overseas holidays. It doesn't sit right with me.

I question why membership should be asked to consider bankrolling expensive test equipment for the site owner to test loudspeakers, when the only benefit they may possibly get is when they open their wallet yet again, to buy another pair of speakers.

It is not, after all, the membership getting speakers to play with, whether they are loaned, gifted, returned or sold for a nominal amount. Without ongoing and updated disclosures of any commercial interests, gifts, etc. (which to date, there are none I can see, despite it being raised a few times), I think I'll just regard my carefully considered contributions to the forums and threads as sufficient at this stage.
In the old days, Amir, Thomas et al. could have published a technical journal and sold subscriptions to fund purchases of measurement equipment. Measurement equipment costs money, and in general, the old business models of periodicals that test things no longer work.

I think donations are a reasonable alternative.

Top Bottom