• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What would you choose? Benchmark x2 or ATI Hypex based or Apollon Purifi / NC1200SL based

Derkkk

So I've been reading about amps a lot and for the longest time I was really really drawn to the Benchmark AHB2 amp. Mainly because I happen to be a pretty measurement focused buyer. It's just my belief and my ears usually agree most of the time. Now that I've been reading about how far class D amps have come its got me into a spot of confliction. While I realize I could easily go the DIY route with the Purifi or Hypex, I want something that has a nice enclosure like the Benchmark. Reading about some of the more questionable companies that are putting pre build's together I decided the quality of Apollon and ATI are more what I was looking for. The only difference between all three of these companies to include Benchmark, Apollon, and ATI, is the Benchmark would be around double the cost because the power I'm looking for would require two of the benchmark amps. Seeing how well the Benchmark amps measure, does anyone think one of these would be a better choice? Has anyone listened to all of them or examples of them and thought they sounded extremely similar? My next speakers I'm waiting to get ahold of are the Perlisten S7t towers that are 4ohm loads and 92db sensitive. I'm looking to get something that will get close to the 600watt recommended range these call for as I listen to stuff pretty loud and being the first towers that are THX Dominus rated I surely plan to stretch their legs a time or two. I know there's probably a lot threads asking about any of these amps but with this specific set of speakers and their abilities I thought maybe someone smarter than I am could shine some light on what may be a better way to go.

Just for note my current setup is Focal Aria 936's, McIntosh C47 preamp, McIntosh MC152 amp, and two Rythmik F12 subs.
Currently just using the internal DAC of the C47 for streaming but Id like to get the Okto dac8 Stereo if they ever get caught up with orders.

Thanks for any and all suggestions! I always welcome constructive conversation. No, i'm not in the McIntosh cult group lol, they were passed down to me and you have to give them credit because I wouldn't have ever gotten interested in the hobby if it wasn't for them. The Mc gear gave me my first taste of what was possible in this hobby. I have zero brand loyalty and always look for stuff that stands out so that has brought me here because of my first statement above.

Here's a photo for some eye candy. It's not for everyone but gosh darn i've fallen in love with them.

1121perl.promo_.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Reactions: JRS
OP
D

Derkkk

You can get an ATI class D nCore amp with 500 watts output as monoblocks or 2 to 4 channels.
Correct and when looking at their models I figured if I was spending almost $4-5K on ATI's mono blocks I might as well go with Mono Benchmarks. ATI's 2 channel 500W model though is around $3K so that's a very nice option. They look really well put together as well compared to some of the other pre built ones.

OP
D

Derkkk

Both the Benchmarks and the NAD Purifis worked really well with the S7Ts.
Awesome! I was actually nervous about the Benchmark being able to drive the S7t's because in mono mode they don't list a wattage rating down to 4ohms but they assured me this was because of how ratings are done and they drive 4ohm loads in mono just fine.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't go wrong with Apollon. Also consider boXem.

Having said that, there are new high power modules from Purifi coming out soon, if you can wait.

OP
D

Derkkk

Can't go wrong with Apollon. Also consider boXem.

Having said that, there are new high power modules from Purifi coming out soon, if you can wait.
Absolutely can wait. It isn't like im starting from scratch so I could easily wait a while. The Okto dac8 is well sold out right now as well anyway. That must be what i've been seeing on some of the sites saying "New Purifi coming soon". Does anyone know what they'll be? Double the power? Maybe just 50% more?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I currently have AHB2s, STR power amp, and March P701 monos. They all "sound" the same to me, i.e. transparent. I think you'd find one AHB2 would suffice, given the efficiency of the Perlistens, but you'd always wish you had more power, lol, and I know the feeling. So my suggestion is to look at the March P701 monoblocks. 400/700/1200 so you'll never be short of watts, and completely silent. On the other hand, buy one AHB2 and you'll know (from flashing lights) if the amp is clipping in which case you can buy another. Resale on the Benchmark will be much better than the small shops like Apollon, March, Nord etc. There is also the reliability and repair side which is dramatically in favor of the Benchmark IMO.
If you do get the Perlistens please share your experience.

DSJR

Major Contributor
From what I gather, the Mac stuff seems to perform rather better and more up to date than the vintage characterful look indicates. You may be chasing numbers really rather than a better sound, but I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy whatever you buy and have good musical-enjoyment fun with them.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Sorry if I am missing something, but wouldn't your current MC152 be more then enough for 92 db speakers? It also looks better then Benchmark and other amps you listed. Certainly has superior build quality. I would choose Mac in an instant over others...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those poor tweeter and midranges. Can’t imagine they will cope well with 600W of power, even if they’ll only receive a fraction of it, nor will they do 120dB. The midranges would need to do more than 2.5mm of excursion, which is a lot for such small devices.

Also note that the difference between 400 and 600W is very small. Probably not worth the extra investment.

Reactions: JRS
OP
D

Derkkk

I currently have AHB2s, STR power amp, and March P701 monos. They all "sound" the same to me, i.e. transparent. I think you'd find one AHB2 would suffice, given the efficiency of the Perlistens, but you'd always wish you had more power, lol, and I know the feeling. So my suggestion is to look at the March P701 monoblocks. 400/700/1200 so you'll never be short of watts, and completely silent. On the other hand, buy one AHB2 and you'll know (from flashing lights) if the amp is clipping in which case you can buy another. Resale on the Benchmark will be much better than the small shops like Apollon, March, Nord etc. There is also the reliability and repair side which is dramatically in favor of the Benchmark IMO.
If you do get the Perlistens please share your experience.
This is sort of what i've found as well. Many of these amps are so good that I often don't hear much of a difference. I've always found that speaker position and room treatment make a actual difference to my ears over everything else. With the price being half for the most others compared to two benchmarks it had me thinking is all. Plus I really wanna see what newer class D can do as I've never listen to any class D stuff. You do have a point though that one benchmark would likely be enough even for the most demanding listing sessions that I turn it up a bit.

So really what im gathering is with all of these amps being so accurate and so little noise I probably could flip a coin and be happy.

OP
D

Derkkk

Sorry if I am missing something, but wouldn't your current MC152 be more then enough for 92 db speakers? It also looks better then Benchmark and other amps you listed. Certainly has superior build quality. I would choose Mac in an instant over others...
I do like the mac stuff but have always longed to try the Benchmarks because of their stellar specs and reviews. This is what draws me to the Perlisten speakers. Somehow theyve managed to make speakers so crisp and clean sounding with so little distortion no matter how hard you push them the company rates them being able to push 117db (crazy loud) and even passed THX's rating of Dominus level which they must be able to hit 120db with very little distortion. If they can do that then lower levels of listening have to be sublimely accurate. Also, my current speakers are Focal arias 936 and they're 92db rated and the Mac 152 I can light up that red clipping light every now and again when I get carried away. Thats the reason I want more powerful amps. Not to go louder than that but to have that extra buffer on top so I can get to the level they provide but not sitting on the very edge of the amps capability all the time.

OP
D

Derkkk

Those poor tweeter and midranges. Can’t imagine they will cope well with 600W of power, even if they’ll only receive a fraction of it, nor will they do 120dB. The midranges would need to do more than 2.5mm of excursion, which is a lot for such small devices.

Also note that the difference between 400 and 600W is very small. Probably not worth the extra investment.
Well if they couldn't reach 120db with very little distortion then THX wouldn't have given them the Dominus rating. It does sound crazy though because really it is. They're the first towers to ever do so which is why im drawn to them. It just tells me that regardless of the level I want to listen at they will not only take it but they'll do it with very very little distortion. Would i listen to them at 120db? of course not that's seriously loud and uncomfortable but I know the levels my Focals can go and like I stated above I just want a little more head room so I dont have to worry about clipping at the level I listen to because the focals occasionally do when I get a bit carried away. I hope all this makes sense? Really the MC152 while rated for 150W per channel they often put out more than that and while just on the edge of clipping they put out just enough for me but again I just want that extra head room.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely can wait. It isn't like im starting from scratch so I could easily wait a while. The Okto dac8 is well sold out right now as well anyway. That must be what i've been seeing on some of the sites saying "New Purifi coming soon". Does anyone know what they'll be? Double the power? Maybe just 50% more?
Purifi 1ET7040SA

Output Power: 950W(2Ω), 500W(4Ω), 250(8WΩ)
Output Current: ~40A
THD+N: <0.00035% @ 200W, 4Ω, 1kHz
Dynamic Range: ~129 dB(A)
Output Noise: ~14µV(A)
Gain: 13dB
Output Impedance: <13µΩ @ 1kHz
Efficiency: 94% @ 500W, 4Ω, 1kHz
Idle losses (outpt stage): 2.8 W

Preview here

OP
D

Derkkk

Purifi 1ET7040SA

Output Power: 950W(2Ω), 500W(4Ω), 250(8WΩ)
Output Current: ~40
THD+N: <0.00035% @ 200W, 4Ω, 1kH
Dynamic Range: ~129 dB(A
Output Noise: ~14µV(A
Gain: 13d
Output Impedance: <13µΩ @ 1kH
Efficiency: 94% @ 500W, 4Ω, 1kH
Idle losses (output stage): 2.8 W

Preview here
You along with a few others in different threads have recommended the purifi regardless of me mentioning the Hypex based amps. Is it the general consensus that the Purifi is better than the Hypex equivalent?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You along with a few others in different threads have recommended the purifi regardless of me mentioning the Hypex based amps. Is it the general consensus that the Purifi is better than the Hypex equivalent?
Even the designer said it is past diminishing returns, but the difference is surprising... Whatever that means lol.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is sort of what i've found as well. Many of these amps are so good that I often don't hear much of a difference. I've always found that speaker position and room treatment make a actual difference to my ears over everything else. With the price being half for the most others compared to two benchmarks it had me thinking is all. Plus I really wanna see what newer class D can do as I've never listen to any class D stuff. You do have a point though that one benchmark would likely be enough even for the most demanding listing sessions that I turn it up a bit.

So really what im gathering is with all of these amps being so accurate and so little noise I probably could flip a coin and be happy.
performance wise, a definite yes. Kinda like streamers when you are using the digital output. The customer service, resale, reliability etc become the more important factors IMO. I think of the AHB2s as 911s, beautifully made, great performance, you enjoy the hell out of them and then move on, getting at least 70% of your cost back when you sell. It's all good fun, enjoy!

OP
D

Derkkk

performance wise, a definite yes. Kinda like streamers when you are using the digital output. The customer service, resale, reliability etc become the more important factors IMO. I think of the AHB2s as 911s, beautifully made, great performance, you enjoy the hell out of them and then move on, getting at least 70% of your cost back when you sell. It's all good fun, enjoy!
Thank you for your input! That's part of the reason my dad has stuck with McIntosh all these years, he enjoys the sounds (they do sound great) and the resale value usually is fantastic on Mac gear. Being he passed them down to me I don't plan to ever get rid of them. Its funny that you have the STR as well because Id be considering that one as well. I was at the Florida audio expo and one of the rooms that blew me away was the Paradigm room. They had their top of the line models and of course STR amp and It was absolutely fantastic to listen too. The STR seems like a beast of an amp and isn't crazy priced.

Top Bottom