• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What would you buy with £3000?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How much are those these days? Yeah, those look like SPEAKERS and my recollection was of a clear sound, might be considered bright by some but not offensive to me.
I've seen them going for up to USD $3K for pristine examples.

Jayesh

I usually sit in an office chair or walk around,
If you are walking around, have you thought about investing in a center speaker so you can have a stable center image when you are walking around? Some might think it's sacrilege listening to a stereo signal in a 3.0 or 3.2 setup but It's almost a necessity if you are off axis.

Harryharryharry

If you're in the UK I would seriously consider Wharfedale EVO's, Linton's, or Monitor's in Silver or Gold. Saves a good chunk of your budget if you want multi-way, theater, or more amp options. Digital amps are the rage right now- there are a fair number of companies taking the Purifi and Hypex boards and putting them in cases, giving you easily 250W/channel or more to drive pretty much any speaker you want. Currently using one from VTV in the US that I paid $650 for that puts out an ultraclean ~200W into 8ohms and 350+W into 4 ohms using a Hypex NC502MP board.
I just swapped the Wharfedale Evo 4.4s for Kef R3s (less money second hand) and the Kef's are a bit step up so I wouldn't recommend the Evos at this budget

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just swapped the Wharfedale Evo 4.4s for Kef R3s (less money second hand) and the Kef's are a bit step up so I wouldn't recommend the Evos at this budget
well, used speakers definitely opens the choices up a bit, but could also move up-line in Wharfedale's product series just as easily.

Zvu

No, but i tried to wake Amir's or Erin's curiosity numerous times given that it is american manufacturer and could be contacted for a measuring sample - without success though.

tktran303

Forum Donor
I think the best way is to engage directly with KRK. But they already have established market with amateur and working musicians, selling in big numbers; no perhaps Gibson see no need for a review. Eg. The 5G4 is a top seller @Thomann.

10”/4.5”/1” active 3 way is a winner IMHO. There’s little that can go wrong in terms of DI or distortion or frequency response.

It’s just that few consumers want a speaker 12.5” wide in this modern age.

Sometimes there’s DIY and sometimes you just want a night off… at $500USD retail it’s hard to beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zvu

YSC

Major Contributor
What would you get with £3000 limit? That would be total for speakers & amplification. Bigger is better with respect to woofers and I'd prefer a warmer rather than analytical sound. I think I'd prefer a speaker I can put on stands, as I usually sit in an office chair or walk around, so that rules out floorstanders. Potential list so far is pretty short:

Genelec 1032a/b/c
JBL 4312G
Neumann KH310

Will be running sans subs at least for the time being, so should be able to hold their own without them. I think a 3-way setup might be better, I always feel the midrange is a little recessed with a large woofer 2-way speaker. Any other options available?
Any of the 3 you mentioned will do but at your budget and requirement I personally would go for buchardt A500.

It digs deep enough and more home friendly.

For sound signature with my own exp it’s just all about in room sound, with preset EQ in say the Genelecs you could make the boomy part reduced significantly. If your room have high boost in mid-upper bass likely you got to think it’s muddy and boomy but if you have a big null probably the highs just stood out and become too analytical. Accurate speakers with some ply around with room and EQ would serve the best imo

Willem

Major Contributor
Sonos AMP
Elac DBR62
Four subwoofers such as KEF Kube10b, or whatever fits the budget.
Minidsp 2x4HD
Multi Sub optimizer
Umik-1

Zvu

Sometimes there’s DIY and sometimes you just want a night off… at $500USD retail it’s hard to beat.

It's scary how similarly we are reasoning. I have a pair of "i'm tired" loudspeakers. I can be so satisfied with sound that i realize that i don't diy for the sake of sound but for fun and good sound is just a beautifull bonus.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Nothing, CSS 1TD and keep the rest. Maybe I would experiment with a Crown XLS Amp but people say you don't need to bother when you only run 2 speakers on a 100Wx2 AVR.

jae

Major Contributor
KH310A for sure .
I would personally prefer brand new KH150 over KH310 if they are going to be around the same price. Since I don't believe I'd need the extra SPL, new tech + DSP + better performance + playback over network at the expense of ~5hz LFX seems worth it. I think I would make that choice regardless if I was getting a subwoofer or not.

Tangband

Major Contributor
For 3000 dollars theres no excuses not to go dsp active, because the sound will be much better in many says.
I recommend the Genelec 8340 on a pair of stands from custom design rs304 or rs303 , 63 cm high .

Im biased in this choice, because this is the speakers I have, after measuring and listening to many speakers before buying . I havent found other speakers below 3000 dollars that are sounding better, and goes as low in the bass . The Kef Meta or wireless mkII is nowhere near the sound of 8340 in my opinion. The GLM option can you use as room correction, and also as a toole for making the loudspeaker sound as you wish , manually in GLM you can make them sound warmer if you want.
The frequency response , for real , is flat from 38 - 20000 Hz . This covers the deepest bass tone from an electric bass, the tone E.
AF482387-1342-4F51-A622-411DD732ED4D.jpegD731D8E0-BF5C-4615-AF6F-DB5FF81AED13.jpeg

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would personally prefer brand new KH150 over KH310 if they are going to be around the same price. Since I don't believe I'd need the extra SPL, new tech + DSP + better performance + playback over network at the expense of ~5hz LFX seems worth it. I think I would make that choice regardless if I was getting a subwoofer or not.
Nope. The audible advantages of a 3-way over a 2-way (IMD and multitone HD) cannot be fixed by DSP.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Nope. The audible advantages of a 3-way over a 2-way (IMD and multitone HD) cannot be fixed by DSP.
There are good twoway speakers thats better measuring and sounding than bad threeways. But everything alike, a good three way have some technical advantages.
A good dsp doing the crossover and roomcorrection is mandatory for really good sound, 2 or 3 ways doesnt matter…

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A good dsp doing the crossover and roomcorrection is mandatory for really good sound, 2 or 3 ways doesnt matter…
There exist many superb loudspeakers without DSP crossover so its nice to have but not mandatory for really good sound.
(Personally I would in many cases rather have a good 3-way without it than a good 2-way with it).

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2 of these
1 of these got to have Dirac
1 of these (SB-3000)

Top Bottom