• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What would be wrong with Buy, Review, Return?

asruser2020

@amirm I understand that the majority of the reviews come from two scenarios: (1) a user already owns a product, sends it to you for review, and then you send it back; or (2) a user purchases a product online, has it directly sent to you for review, and then you send it to the user. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why can't you (Amir) just purchase a product, review it, and then return it? I know there are restocking fees, but Patreon money will likely cover it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm I understand that the majority of the reviews come from two scenarios: (1) a user already owns a product, sends it to you for review, and then you send it back; or (2) a user purchases a product online, has it directly sent to you for review, and then you send it to the user. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why can't you (Amir) just purchase a product, review it, and then return it? I know there are restocking fees, but Patreon money will likely cover it.

Would retailers like that if not agreed beforehand?They would fairly soon realise sales to him are not sales at all. Then they find out without too much digging what is happening.

OP
A

asruser2020

I agree that doing this repeatedly with one retailer would not look good, but if you spread this process across multiple retailers, then it shouldn't be a problem. What do the retailers care if you return an item with a restocking fee?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that doing this repeatedly with one retailer would not look good, but if you spread this process across multiple retailers, then it shouldn't be a problem. What do the retailers care if you return an item with a restocking fee?

Not massively ethical either.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

North_Sky

Major Contributor
xfhpiynk-1402042571.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qcw_teHFA9.jpg

3KP8.gif

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why can't you (Amir) just purchase a product, review it, and then return it?

Because you would be acting fraudulently. You fully intend to use the product and then return it for no valid reason that would entitle you to a refund under consumer law. You are attempting to return an opened and used product that is not faulty, fit for purpose, same as sample shown/advertised and of merchantable quality.

Retailers of course can offer you additional return policies additional to consumer law, but they are not required to, and can terminate such additional policies anytime they think they are being abused.

I'm sure the US would have equally similar legislation as ours (Australia) in that regard.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I just bought a new condo. I found out after few months that it's leaking.
I can't return it but I can try selling it to another sucker. I feel bad, real bad...I just have too much conscience...way way more than the bozos who sold me the condo in the first place.

Life is hard and then you die. You don't come back, you don't ever come back from death...only in the movies, or in Russia.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't return it but I can try selling it to another sucker. I feel bad, real bad...I just have too much conscience...way way more than the bozos who sold me the condo in the first place.

Life is hard and then you die. You don't come back, you don't ever come back from death...only in the movies, or in Russia.
Man alive... In the early 80's when I was a young buck I worked construction in Vancouver. That was the era where many of the leaky houses and condos where built. They where slapping them together and hiring anybody with a crappy cotton work pouch and hammer that would work for cheap. The banks where squeezing the home owners, the home owners squeezing the builders and there was very little budget left for building the stuff. We walked off a job site because of the rubbish that was going on and never returned to that builder and we where not paid for 3 houses we completed. The one brother filed for bankruptcy and the next week his other brother was the new builder like nothing had happened. I feel for ya man. Leaky condos is near chronic at the West Coast.

smallricey

I think that's why you have insurance bro.

I think this is an unethical suggestion and abusing the return policy.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I was simply giving an example ... with the condo. Yes it happened in the Vancouver area.
And that's wrong, very very wrong. Life is not fair.
_____

Back to the OP's comment ...

8360617.gif

Reactions: PSO

Tks

Major Contributor
A bit off topic but Amazon had a return policy for CPUs where if you claimed it wasn't working. They would send you a new one. Except you didnt have to return the old one as small electronics simply didnt make sense for Amazon to restock as used.

You can imagine how much scum that attracted.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
We all have read stories of people buying front projectors for the super bowl and returning them after. ...30 days no question asked. Then they are open box front projectors. The retailers are losing money. Cars, and what else ...

If you buy something you follow the law...30 days. Or if it's broken you get it fixed within the warranty period. If it can't be fixed you get a replacement. If the replacement is also broken you get something new of equal value and not broken. If not satisfactory you get your money back.

You can also buy extra warranty...5-6 years to cover failures, defects, etc.
It's the way the world works...we follow the laws of the lands.
It's the law man, the rules are the rules and we abide by them, or else ...

Amir is in no way into this sheet.

Top Bottom