• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What wire to build my own RCA interconnects?

eliash

Now that's an interesting analogy. :D

I believe the situation is relatively simple, it is opinions backed by science (in our case audio physics, electroengineering and often psychoacoustics) vs opinions backed by personal impressions. Quite a dilemma, isn't it?

I don´t see it necessarily binary like this, since personal impressions should automatically lead to the desire to base them on above named scientific foundations. Most scientific discoveries were made on personal impressions (e.g. the world is not a disc - made from vinyl???), but insisting on personal impressions without questioning, arguing or discussing them is the real problem.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't think so. There are many ways to test but as SIY stated it should be with rigor and bias removed. The bias part is knowing. There is no question about that.
This is always what every 'objective' vs 'subjective' debate comes to combined with misconceptions about hearing and test methodology.
Furthermore not everyone is 'subjectivist' or 'objectivist'. I think everyone secretly is an 'inbetweenivist' based on personal experience and 'conviction'.
I tried to have fun with this word here and is the reason my website uses the color grey.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
That's OK, it bothers me that people keep using the word "subjective" to mean "arrived at without any controls."
It's just audiophiles re-purposing a word.
While Toole & Olive (and others) do real subjective listening tests.

zalive

Now that's an interesting analogy. :D

I believe the situation is relatively simple, it is opinions backed by science (in our case audio physics, electroengineering and often psychoacoustics) vs opinions backed by personal impressions. Quite a dilemma, isn't it?

It's not a dilemma, it's two worlds. Impression is not even an opinion.

but insisting on personal impressions without questioning, arguing or discussing them is the real problem.

You can question them but you can't define them. Two worlds.

This is always what every 'objective' vs 'subjective' debate comes to combined with misconceptions about hearing and test methodology.
Furthermore not everyone is 'subjectivist' or 'objectivist'. I think everyone secretly is an 'inbetweenivist' based on personal experience and 'conviction'.
I tried to have fun with this word here and is the reason my website uses the color grey.

It would be a tragedy if it wasn't so. Extremes are not good. And bias is impossible to get rid of since eventually we'll all know what's reproducing music in our system. Ideal blind listening would be in idealistic situation we never know what's actually in our system. It's impossible.

Cocoloco

a 7 pages thread for a 1.5 feet rca wire LOL... o_O you guys are cracking me up :cool: this is why I'm here...

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Slightly OT, I got zero points.... but I'm a tech educator in pursuit of knowledge with simple tastes.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can't be the only one who freezes their wires then boils them in a kettle.. , really cuts down burn in time .
Anyone tried the microwave?

I lend them to my Dad. He plays 100% classical music through them for a few months and they always come back with more culture, detail and an enormous sound-stage.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
To the OP's question: "What wire to build my own RCA interconnects?"

The best wire is Kotanga, a very special New Zealand made wire.

1561708621924.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I lend them to my Dad. He plays 100% classical music through them for a few months and they always come back with more culture, detail and an enormous sound-stage.
I never thought of that , got to love ASR I'm always learning new things .

Can I send him mine after i microwave them?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I can't be the only one who freezes their wires then boils them in a kettle.. , really cuts down burn in time .

Anyone tried the microwave?

Yes, I did for fun while I worked at Technics Panasonic. We put all kinds of things in still operational microwaves that were written off.
Light bulbs, CFL etc. are fun as are other components as well and non electronic stuff also has great effects in a microwave :D

CD's are particularly fun.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
We also use Kotanga wire in great quantities on our vehicles for superior car radio reception:

1561708989687.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
bias is impossible to get rid of since eventually we'll all know what's reproducing music in our system. Ideal blind listening would be in idealistic situation we never know what's actually in our system. It's impossible.

I don't really agree with this part when comparing anything between the source right up to the speakers.
Amplifiers and DACs could be a potential problem when one can see which is active or one hears certain clicks or tell tale signs.
Everyone can think of easy ways to circumvent this.
One can test all of this and still remove bias even with normal usage of the equipment and situation.
No need for test conditions or instantanious switching nor blind folds.
No idealistic circumstances are needed at all.
Only the knowing part needs to be removed and someone else needs to be involved that does not communicate about what is changed (or not changed and merely said they may or may not have changed something).
There really are ways to remove the knowing part.
All outcome is valid to me unless level differences are obvious (which is never the case with cables)

Testing this way has given more insight than any published article or research papers and is quite do-able. It is the most valuable audio education I got over the years.

dweekie

To the OP's question: "What wire to build my own RCA interconnects?"

The best wire is Kotanga, a very special New Zealand made wire.

View attachment 28484

You're late to the game, it's already been done.
http://anticables.com/interconnects/analog-rca-interconnects

I actually had the speaker wires from when they first launched back in the day. They were far stiffer than coat hangers though; I should have used them to hang my clothes instead. They were functional, but I couldn't do any sort of cable management; it just looked like a 1950's science experiment. I have nothing bad to say about the sound though - there's nothing wrong with solid copper conductors.

Top Bottom