• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What wire to build my own RCA interconnects?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Science changes their views every while once stronger and different evidence arrives. It has happened, it is happening, it will happen. Current scientific views mean little to me, to stick solely to current scientific views seems like a religion in my eyes, A different church but the same style of worshiping.

Yes. I know it's anecdotal but I had to mention this.
Such a shame those guys don't have spare time to discuss here - though I'm not sure they would have the desire even if they did. They prefer practicing to discussing.

Well, this is a science oriented forum. If you want to practice some other "philosophy/religion" I suggest you find yourself a more appropriate "cult". ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would think that your situation was discussed long enough (cost me quite a few hours) and cables have been discussed at nauseam in other threads.
Also consider that Amir has said he would test cables (new ones and 'burned in' ones) as well.

You gave no 'numbers' nor suggested meaningful tests and have no references to any research showing the effect (in particular widely adopted Teflon as an insulator). There is nothing 'technical' about any of it, merely a theory you have based on an anecdote.
Perhaps you seek validation here ?

It's a good thing you don't trust all that is said here. It also means 'we' can extend the same courtesy and not trust your findings based on our findings and experience is it not ?

Last edited:

zalive

Well, this is a science oriented forum. If you want to practice some other "philosophy/religion" I suggest you find yourself a more appropriate "cult". ;)

You really believe forums should be attended solely by members sharing views? Aren't the most intriguing part in opposing arguments and views?
Don't worry, I won't stick for long, there's too little for me here. I don't like the fact that technically knowledgeable here are one-sided, I know the intersection here and the reality are different.

Perhaps you seek validation here ?
No. Why would I expect validation here?

It's a good thing you don't trust all that is said here. It also means 'we' can extend the same courtesy and not trust your findings based on our findings and experience is it not ?

There's no 'we', each person may have his own, specific viewpoint on this. 'We' belongs to imagination.
But otherwise, I'm aware the most HC objectivist who completely dismiss subjective experience whenever opposed to current scientific views, will dismiss completely any 'anecdotal subjective experience'.
However there are like 10 readers at least to each active participant in discussion and their views might cover the full spectrum from the objective to the subjective, with any ratio in between. And even some of participants don't share a dominant view here.
I consider it fair for the other side to be heard and taken into account, even if it's anecdotal. And I don't see how can it be different with subjective impressions.
Yet, it's the subjective impressions how we perceive music (sighted as well), how we enjoy it and why we all entered into the hi-fi sphere. I think it's a good to remind ourselves of this, from time to time. It sheds a different light to value of subjective experience. .

Krunok

Major Contributor
You really believe forums should be attended solely by members sharing views? Aren't the most intriguing part in opposing arguments and views?

No, not sharing views, but sharing common ground, like science. I'm not interested in your views if they are not based on science but on your subjective impressions.

eliash

Nylon body fits tightly just as it should so no problem with this, it's a quality connector.

I read meanwhile the plastic material is POM. This means higher accuracy in manufacturing and probably stiffer than Nylon as well...
The only thing which makes me worry is the electrical shielding of this type of connector since the missing grounding of the metal sleeve on the pics, or is there any hidden contact?

The ones I am using, have a printed "dynavox" on the cap ring, they look alike to Furutech ones, but less expensive, some 4-5bugs in the bay...

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I consider it fair for the other side to be heard and taken into account, even if it's anecdotal. And I don't see how can it be different with subjective impressions.
The problem with that, is that it's subjective. I do not have your ears/brain but only my own. So the subjective impression is not relevant for me. I might not experience the same as you. That's why we here try to use science to explain differences.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

I am all for hearing from and debating with 'the other side'. But not so much if it is only anecdotal unless clearly expressed it is.
But I know what I hear, don't worry. This happens, this is real.
Makes it sound like its a fact... it isn't really. It is an observation made by you which originated from an incorrect test method.
I presented you alternative test methods which you reject based on the fact you made up your mind... its real because you heard.

You are very welcome here (speak for myself) and can debate, ask and mention a lot of things. Just be prepared to get some flak when you make unsubstantiated claims.

Here (ASR, 'we' a lot of 'us' at least) are likely to ask questions or you may be asked to explain it or present evidence in some form.
There are a few members who will just take your word for it. There are more of them in other fora.
Trying to educate 'us stubborn engineers that only see numbers' is only possible when you come with real evidence. Anecdotal and sighted won't cut it.

Last edited:

zalive

I read meanwhile the plastic material is POM. This means higher accuracy in manufacturing and probably stiffer than Nylon as well...
The only thing which makes me worry is the electrical shielding of this type of connector since the missing grounding of the metal sleeve on the pics, or is there any hidden contact?

The ones I am using, have a printed "dynavox" on the cap ring, they look alike to Furutech ones, but less expensive, some 4-5bugs in the bay...

There's no shelding indeed on this one. it's a plug really similar to Eichmann Bullet. Everything is pretty much shown at this pic:
p1010479_721.jpg

I see there's a version with a metal jacket but no experience from my side with that one.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I am inspired to find a forum on medical science and start telling them about homeopathy and balancing of humors.

LOL :D

No need for that, our good doctors already have such a cross to carry on, I believe it's called "anti vaxxers".

eliash

There's no shelding indeed on this one. it's a plug really similar to Eichmann Bullet. Everything is pretty much shown at this pic:
p1010479_721.jpg

I see there's a version with a metal jacket but no experience from my side with that one.

That´s even more interesting, to me it looked like a metal sleeve. Maybe plastic is better in terms of electrical pickup than a non-grounded metal sleeve. On the other hand the cable clamping screw´s plastic thread has to be handled with care, when clamping a thick cable or a wrapped thin one...

The "dynavox" look like this, they have 2 cable clamping screws and a slotted inner pin, which can be adjusted a bit:
1561555876468.jpeg

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I proposed a different DBT. Having two systems, A and B, but without X. A same music sample is being reproduced to the listener twice, only he doesn't know if it was played through the same system both times (either A or B) or through different systems (possible combinations: A then B, B then A, A then A, B then B). A listener has to answer a question whether he listened to the same system, or to different ones. No recognition element, pure focus on spotting whether there is a difference in sound. No three reproductions so making things as simple as possible, which isn't the case with the ABX.
Can't you follow your method during a standard ABX test? For example, ignore B and decide only if A=X.

zalive

Can't you follow your method during a standard ABX test? For example, ignore B and decide only if A=X.

If you unferstood what I tried to explain, with the ABX it's about three 'samples' and about recognition. Which is ok if difference is big enough to recognize it. However the sensitivity of discerning sounds difference in my proposal is just better. No recognition element, solely discerning whether tjere is an audible difference, plus it's really easier for the memory to deal with two 'samples' than with three of them. So it's mainly about sensitivity, the accuracy of result, when difference is tighter.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You might want to reread what Hammer Sandwich said, but a bit more slowly until it sinks in.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given how short audio memory is, at least mine is, I much prefer AA, AB, BA, BB testing as ABX has too long between tests for me to remember what went before. With AA, AB etc testing, it's only necessary to choose same/different, and if there's no gap between samples, it's exquisitely sensitive to small differences. Level matching has to be very accurate, as even a small level difference can skew results, so I try to match to 0.1dB or about a needle's width on my meter. It's not then difficult to analyse the same/different choices for guessing or if indeed a difference is audible.

S

zalive

You might want to reread what Hammer Sandwich said, but a bit more slowly until it sinks in.

Ok, now I understood it.
Yeah, if I pick not to listen either A or B then I make it as simple as my proposal. It's true.
But will I do it this way without having the idea on my mind to make it as simple? Of course I won't. I'll listen to all three of them, because I can.
So my comments fully apply nevertheless.

Last edited:

dweekie

It kept bothering me that people kept using the word "science" as the antithesis to subjective opinions. It's like hearing people call the computer case the "CPU". It bothers you like nails on a chalkboard, but you just accept it. If we replaced the word "science" with "audio physics", it makes a little more sense to me, but I'm still not sure they would be the best words to use... Hmmm... Am I the only one?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's OK, it bothers me that people keep using the word "subjective" to mean "arrived at without any controls."

Krunok

Major Contributor
It kept bothering me that people kept using the word "science" as the antithesis to subjective opinions. It's like hearing people call the computer case the "CPU".

Now that's an interesting analogy. :D

I believe the situation is relatively simple, it is opinions backed by science (in our case audio physics, electroengineering and often psychoacoustics) vs opinions backed by personal impressions. Quite a dilemma, isn't it?

Top Bottom