• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What wire to build my own RCA interconnects?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think that an echo will show up in a frequency response sweep, assuming the echo is a constant, at multiples of f = 2/t where t is the echo time, because of constructive and destructive interference.

Yes it will but only far above the audible band or zoomed in tremendously in time.
I don't think it will show up visibly in a plot using 10Hz to 50kHz or so.
It's what the speaker cable guy (that never came through for Amir) spoke about and what Don showed in that thread.
And ... as Krunok mentioned, it would disappear after a month or so never to return again.

zalive

Which current would that be and how would a current charge the dielectric ?

Voltage, not current, my mistake in description.

As for the rest, I wouldn't know. But the signal (its voltage) will charge the dielectric and this electrical charge from dielectric will eventually discharge back into a conductor. And the time delay is inevitable. It's physics. It should be measurable. For the prerequisites how it should be measured, which measurement used, equipment, parameters, don't ask me, I wouldn't know.

If real scientific minds were present here instead of engineers, they would think how to try to capture this instead of thinking how to justify their attitude. But I see you've done some steps in this direction at least and I appreciate this.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If real scientific minds were present here instead of engineers, they would think how to try to capture this instead of thinking how to justify their attitude. But I see you've done some steps in this direction at least and I appreciate this.

Apparently, my 40 years as a working scientist specializing in the electrical properties of materials is outranked by speculation based on ad copy.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Voltage, not current, my mistake in description.

One charges a capacitor using a current when applying a voltage.

As for the rest, I wouldn't know. But the signal (its voltage) will charge the dielectric and this electrical charge from dielectric will eventually discharge back into a conductor.

When is eventually ?

And the time delay is inevitable. It's physics. It should be measurable. For the prerequisites how it should be measured, which measurement used, equipment, parameters, don't ask me, I wouldn't know.

Time delay in a cable is quite easy to measure.

If real scientific minds were present here instead of engineers, they would think how to try to capture this instead of thinking how to justify their attitude.

Why hasn't it been captured by any engineer nor scientist yet.. Don't you think at least cable manufacturers wouldn't have tried ?
There are no reports showing the effect. If it were real wouldn't cable manufacturers proudly present peer reviewed evidence ?
Would it still be a topic that can be debated when there would be irrefutable evidence ?

The easy way out would be to state that with current technology we can't measure this yet.
That would be weird as the same engineers design the stuff and cannot prove/measure how it works.

zalive

So if I put a very short pulse in a wire I will see a pulse at the end trailed by a second pulse.
Well that's actually true because when we do not load a cable properly (impedance matching) on both ends we will see reflections.
The trouble here is that this will be the case after 1 second of usage and 100 years of usage.
That does not change.
Someone with a TDR could do an experiment with a new cable and repeat it after it has been DeMagic'ed for a month.

Do you expect to see a difference ?

Signal reflections are AFAIK something else, this is not it.
We need to have an idea about duration of charge-discharge, for starters. It's something that physics should answer.
If it's only a small fraction of time involved, the measurement should be appropriate.
For example, how short the fall time of the pulse? If the pulse still didn't fall to zero when spur arrives, what will you capture?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The easy way out would be to state that with current technology we can't measure this yet.
That would be weird as the same engineers design the stuff and cannot prove/measure how it works.

See, that's your problem- you refuse to closely investigate things that don't happen. If you had a real scientific mind, you'd always be on the lookout for brain lint coming from people reading the ad copy of hucksters.

Krunok

Major Contributor
See, that's your problem- you refuse to closely investigate things that don't happen. If you had a real scientific mind, you'd always be on the lookout for brain lint coming from people reading the ad copy of hucksters.

LOL :D

Krunok

Major Contributor
We need to have an idea about duration of charge-discharge, for starters. It's something that physics should answer.
If it's only a small fraction of time involved, the measurement should be appropriate.
For example, how short the fall time of the pulse? If the pulse still didn't fall to zero when spur arrives, what will you capture?

Your taste in music is quite specific if you listen to music that contains 1GHz pulses, but ok, whatever rocks your boat..

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's something that physics should answer.

It does, you just want a different answer than what Nature provides and, unlike an actual scientist, you are unwilling to discard incorrect notions when they don't accord with experiment.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Signal reflections are indeed something else ... they are real, repeatable, very measurable and answers to laws of physics.
It also won't change the first 100 hours or so. It is always the same.

Why hasn't physics answered it ? Did nobody try ? Did nobody care ?

Instruments can easily measure femto seconds ... how small would you like to measure ?

You will capture a distorted signal as the pulse and reflection would add and change the waveform.
This is visible and measurable.

It looks like you have a theory yet have no idea about the duration, the levels involved and how after a certain amount of time (hundreds of hours) the effect diminishes, drops below audible levels or disappears.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Your taste in music is quite specific if you listen to music that contains 1GHz pulses, but ok, whatever rocks your boat..
Sergei seems to.

Reactions: SIY

Krunok

Major Contributor
It does, you just want a different answer than what Nature provides and, unlike an actual scientist, you are unwilling to discard incorrect notions when they don't accord with experiment.

But why stop at IC cables affecting how DAC sounds? I would question DAC power supply cable as well..

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But why stop at IC cables affecting how DAC sounds? I would question DAC power supply cable as well..

Really ? Did you have to go there ? There will be no end to this... why don't we hear about the PCB traces .. Oh.. there are already audiophile PCB's I understood.

zalive

Why hasn't it been captured by any engineer nor scientist yet.. Don't you think at least cable manufacturers wouldn't have tried ?
There are no reports showing the effect. If it were real wouldn't cable manufacturers proudly present peer reviewed evidence ?
Would it still be a topic that can be debated when there would be irrefutable evidence ?

IDK solderdude.
If I didn't hear anything I wouldn't be participating in this discussion at all.
However, in a given example - IC made out of Neotech solid core silver, the second day sound was practically faulty. I think the cheapest IC would sound more natural lol.
I'm not here to defend a cable industry or especially their ridiculous markups. There's nothing hidden on my side.

Top Bottom