• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What was the equipment upgrade you are most happy with?

TheWalkman

C8E95DFB-7CDF-44C4-9781-EE9AD567F7B9.jpeg

The Panther got this right. All I can say is, “Wow.”

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Room correction, anechoic correction and my own ADAU1467-based DSP.

MAB

Major Contributor
Speakers. Just having the right speakers for my various spaces over the years has been the biggest factor. Speakers with subwoofers has improved sound and my ability to integrate into a space. And if taken as a whole, speakers/subwoofers with DSP for room correction and crossover has made me happy beyond any other component in my system. The fact that many DSP software interfaces are pretty easy to use (even fun and informative) adds happiness.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MacBook Pro/OSX/iTunes + AirPort Express. The first reliable, elegant, user friendly, and good looking way to store and play digital files wirelessly from the couch.

Dirac Live Bass Control - we would probably not have a set up main system in this house without it.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Adding 12 rigid fiberglass homemade panels to specific walls in my room. Best money I ever spent.

Gary_G

2922 decided to build a system.

Parasound A23+
Parasound P6
Focal Aria 926

Still need a music streamer.

itz_all_about_the_music

On an IMPROVEMENT/COST ratio basis,.my SECOND SUB-WOOFER (B&W ASW-675).

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
A $14 Febsmart 2 port USB card to locate at the bottom of the case and finally have a silent noise floor for the DAC.
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Genoflesh

I remember a couple of years back, when I was just about to make my first audiophile purchase. I put in a lot of time and effort to decide which to. It then when I came across the ASR forum. I pulled the trigger on Schiit Magni Heresy and AKG K712 Pro. Together they make a purchase that puts a smile on my face everyday.
The other one is Etymotic EVO. It is my daily driver.

Anonamemouse

Loudspeakers for sure. Bigger is better.
And if you have the know-how and capabilities to build them yourself you can save on A LOT of money.
I also think moving on from a very expensive Sovereign Director pre to a much less expensive Benchmark LA4 was a serious step up for me.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, generally speakers. But it’s not always an upgrade per se; I just like having different speakers. I don’t change much else in my system. (I’ve had my amps for instance for 20 years)

The one major exception is having upgraded my turntable 5 years ago. (And from which followed going down the vinyl rabbit hole). I can’t think of any single purchase I’ve made in many years that has given me such consistent joy.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That one time when you upgrade part of your system and you were beyond joyful and get your money worth every penny, what did you replace ? ;)

speakers. headphones, new music.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Room.
Double the size,already half-treated so "big" sound.
(Not as big as I hear in bigger rooms/bigger gear by we'll get there :))

Scytales

Forum Donor
Change of loudspeakers for better ones.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
OK guys, guys, make sure to state which speakers you upgrade from, and to, and how do you "Feel" it ;)

Top Bottom