• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What volume should be used for Room Correction reading/calibration?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Just read that this has digital out without down rez. Do you use the digital out? What DAC? I just installed DAC from Trinnov digital out to the Okto.

No, using the DACs in the box.

tomeh

Do different Room Correction technologies expect different volumes or should all readings for all RC tech be done at the same volume?
I have a Trinnov and have been using -18db for reading, although my listening volume is -25db.
I was told to increase volume for testing, but unsure if that is true?
Based on how finicky this forum is about volume tech, I thought I'd try calibrating at -25db yesterday so calibration & listening are one & the same.
Subjectively, I thought it sounded better with -18db reading. So now I am unsure.

Also, my room is a library. With the -18db reading I hear noises (resonances?) coming from the shelves during readings, while the -25db I don't hear noises. Should I take that into consideration?
I want it effective at the most critical area that I'll be mixing and mastering, 85 db spl, C weighting. Therefore I measure and calibrate everything for this. See Bob Katz explanation of calibration and the "K System." Search for An Integrated Approach to Metering, Monitoring, and Levelling Practices by Bob Katz, Digital Domain, Inc.

Top Bottom