• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What type of speaker do you prefer? And why?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
3 way active monitors as in sig below, before that I’ve had 2 way active monitors since early 2000’s - I don’t see the point in passive speakers other than wanting to play around to get the sound that actives have to start with.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Coaxials like Kef or Genelec.

They provide a "compact" sound, making sound feel that it all comes at you in one block and at the same time. I guess the technical notion to describe it is "single point source".

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Whatever I can afford. Right now, it's an old par of Infinity Primus 250s with a "Son of Sub" sub from Sonance.

Maybe a bit much for a small room, but it does sound fab, seems to suit the room well.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
2 way with 500Hz crossover point. Most of the signal is coming from one driver which has a lot of benefits.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Active 3 way plus subs.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
2 way, cross at 180Hz

Like these.

Turns out they have pretty low room interaction, a nice (to me) "in your face" quality at the prime listening position.

Bought in 1998, haven't seriously worried about other speakers since.

1066954-baa772ec-martin-logan-request-speakers.jpg

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I presume, any speaker with the BBC dip. My 1990 ish Spendor S100's sound "perfect", and indeed "perfecter", since the subs were added

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
2 way with 500Hz crossover point. Most of the signal is coming from one driver which has a lot of benefits.
Is this a DIY, or a commercial speaker? (or just an ideal?) Wondering what drivers perform really well from 500Hz up..... There is that corundum Peerless tweeter that Spatial Audio uses from about 575Hz upward, but I've never experimented with it.

YSC

Major Contributor
simple 2way with a sub, perfect for man's cave music listening in full range (almost, in room goes down to 26hz flat following harman target curve) as well as gaming use

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm constantly toying with idea of in-wall speakers but the thought of unique calibration, DSP, power connection, wall/cabinet rigidity, LF response etc and the dearth of test data keeps me away. The expense and construction disruption are the least of my concerns.

Midwest Blade

I have been a bookshelf aficionado mainly due to downtown/condo living. I have a pair of Quad ESL’s at the weekend home, these were in storage until we finally had a place to get them up and running. Just to add, condo is 100% streaming while the weekend place is all via cd.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Is this a DIY, or a commercial speaker? (or just an ideal?) Wondering what drivers perform really well from 500Hz up..... There is that corundum Peerless tweeter that Spatial Audio uses from about 575Hz upward, but I've never experimented with it.
Full range horn commercial speaker.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Is there a compression driver out there that can play that low? I don’t think such a think exists.
It is a compression driver; this is routine for these types of drivers.

Sokel

Master Contributor
As I read more and more these days in order to final decision,a combination of wall to ceiling arrays going 20 - 200/300 Hz and two-way(?) for the rest of the FR.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Top Bottom