• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What type of smartphone do you use for the purpose of photography

What smartphone OS do you use for the purpose of photography?

• iOS

• iPadOS

• Android

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What type of smartphone do you use for the purpose of photography if you take photos on a smartphone?

• iOS means an Apple iPhone
  • iPadOS means an Apple iPad
  • Android means any device that is running an Android OS. Examples are Samsung, Google, LG, etc.
  • Other can include but not limited to Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Symbian, Palm OS, Nokia Maemo, & even Linux (LiMo, KaiOS, etc.)

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What smartphone OS do you use for the purpose of photography?
The least you could have done would've been to cast the very 1st vote!;)
I can't vote as I am one of those ~7% of the population who doesn't see the need to lead a leashed-life!
It is a bit trick(y) question to answer, though: smartphones are NOT like PCs, where you can exchange OSs or multi-boot, etc.
You have no choice in "smartphone OS" for photography.
WYSIWYG!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't vote as I am one of those ~7% of the population who doesn't see the need to lead a leashed-life!
Hehe. You are not alone! After my 4th cel tel I decided playing chess on it and being leashed was not a priority. I'm at home most of the time for calls and when I go out I am listening to music and watching my surroundings/people as a break. Anybody wants to contact me it can wait till I get home. :D

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The least you could have done would've been to cast the very 1st vote!;)
It is a bit trick(y) question to answer, though: smartphones are NOT like PCs, where you can exchange OSs or multi-boot, etc.
You have no choice in "smartphone OS" for photography.
WYSIWYG!
I didn’t understand you. Does that mean you don’t use a smartphone to take photos?

The question does not have a hidden agenda of OS portability. I could have said iPhone and iPad for option 1&2 but I tried to stay away from models as there are a zillion Android models. Using OS was the only choice v

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hehe. You are not alone! After my 4th cel tel I decided playing chess on it and being leashed was not a priority. I'm at home most of the time for calls and when I go out I am listening to music and watching my surroundings/people as a break. Anybody wants to contact me it can wait till I get home. :D
In other words you do not takes photos on a smartphone.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn’t understand you. Does that mean you don’t use a smartphone to take photos?
I detest them so much that if some tourists ask me to take their photo [ahhh! the ills of living in a beach community], I reply "I no speakity english" with a heavy accent and walk away!:cool:
No, I don't carry a smartphone,
Yes, I always carry a quality camera (currently, a Lumix G7),
Yes, I supply my mate with a new iPhone every few years but you would not see me reaching for her phone to take a 'photo',
Sometimes, I use her just like a camera, if [errrrr....] a Kodak moment must be captured!

Technically, I could have voted...;)

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I detest them so much that if some tourists ask me to take their photo [ahhh! the ills of living in a beach community], I reply "I no speakity english" with a heavy accent and walk away!:cool:
No, I don't carry a smartphone,
Yes, I always carry a quality camera (currently, a Lumix G7),
Yes, I supply my mate with a new iPhone every few years but you would not see me reaching for her phone to take a 'photo',
Sometimes, I use her just like a camera, if [errrrr....] a Kodak moment must be captured!

Technically, I could have voted...;)
So you joined this thread because you detest smartphones?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a multi choice poll.

What smartphone OS do you use?​

Is a Full-Stop question.
The prosecuting attorney asks the defendant on a murder rap: "What weapon did you use to kill your wife?":facepalm:
What does "Other" choice mean?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't say it likely makes any difference for the rare photos I take....

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

What smartphone OS do you use?​

Is a Full-Stop question.
The prosecuting attorney asks the defendant on a murder rap: "What weapon did you use to kill your wife?":facepalm:
What does "Other" choice mean?
Really? You are now analysing the sentence even though there are clear instructions that it is a multi vote poll, and the post clearly said: "What smartphone OS do you use for the purpose of photography if you take photos on a smartphone?" I.e. What do you use? If you don’t use, ignore.

It’s a poll, not an deposition!

C5767D97-D3B5-4D48-8BA4-1EB5621119E0.jpeg

Other can be Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Symbian, Palm OS, Nokia Maemo, & even Linux (LiMo, KaiOS, etc.)

Last edited:

JaccoW

I suspect you will either see a 70% Android/25% Apple split (because that's the global market share) or a 42% Android/57% Apple distribution because for some reason Apple has a much larger market share in the US.

When they were still around I loved my Windows Phone cameras but unfortunately it was killed by Google's meddling.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect you will either see a 70% Android/25% Apple split (because that's the global market share) or a 42% Android/57% Apple distribution because for some reason Apple has a much larger market share in the US.
Apple devices are expensive compared to lots of Android models that are available in poorer countries. They have crippled resources, hence are much cheaper.

JaccoW

Apple devices are expensive compared to lots of Android devices that are available in poorer countries. They have crippled resources, hence are much cheaper.
Which could be an explanation, were it not for the fact that it isn't that much different in Europe (67% Android/31% Apple), Singapore (74% Android/24% Apple) but only Japan is more in line with the US (35% Android/64% Apple). Or are you telling me those are all poor countries?

One could argue that Apple's lack of more affordable models hinders their market share on a global level. But then again, many higher-end Android models are not available in poorer regions either.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which could be an explanation, were it not for the fact that it isn't that much different in Europe (67% Android/31% Apple), Singapore (74% Android/24% Apple) but only Japan is more in line with the US (35% Android/64% Apple). Or are you telling me those are all poor countries?
In 2020, the net annual earnings of an average working couple with two children were €51,400 in the EU (447m), ranging from €12,800 in Bulgaria (7m) to €92,000 in Luxembourg (0.6m). When you include the rest of the non-EU countries you will realise that Europeans (750m) are not that rich.

One could argue that Apple's lack of more affordable models hinders their market share on a global level. But then again, many higher-end Android models are not available in poorer regions either.
Bingo! Android is available on every price level unlike iPhone. Apple's profit margin is 4-10 times larger than other makers. They are a premium brand.

JaccoW

In 2020, the net annual earnings of an average working couple with two children were €51,400 in the EU, ranging from €12,800 in Bulgaria (7m) to €92,000 in Luxembourg (0.6m). When you include the rest of the non-EU countries you will realise that Europeans are not that rich.
That's a weird statistic that makes this hard to compare. Why not go for the median net annual earnings of a single person? Or at the very least link your sources.

If we were to include another non-EU country; the UK has a 50/50 split and in 2020 the average net annual earnings was £31,285 or €36,442.
The US sat at $61,417 for men and $50,982 for women (€58,518 & €48,575), so that is a significantly higher number. Then again, I think most Europeans would find a minimum 4 weeks of paid vacation, functioning public transport/walkable cities and not risking financial ruin by going to the hospital a reasonable tradeoff.

But we're going off-topic here. Does the OS really matter for photography?

If you want the best stock interface for smartphone photography just pick up a higher-end Sony phone (with it's excellent Photo Pro app) or grab a 3rd party camera app for whatever phone you choose.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JaccoW

I explained this on the 4th post above. Have you missed it?
Well, what is your question then? Just a data-collection poll? Preferred OS/app for smartphone photography? Preferred phone model for photography?
Trying to distill it to an OS while the actual hardware is pretty damn important doesn't make that clear.

As Chase Jarvis said:
"The best camera is the one you have with you"

Top Bottom