• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What type of filter is this?

Doobrey

My Cambridge Audio amplifier implements a wolfson DAC using a 2 pole Butterworth filter, i have never heard of it before with it not being named like what we see with linear, minimum etc. I have looked around online and I am not really sure what it is exactly. If anyone could help me understand what type it is, impulse etc I’d appreciate it, thanks.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Doobrey

Doobrey

Thanks for the link but a lot of this stuff goes over my head, I’m assuming it’s a type of slow linear phase then?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the link but a lot of this stuff goes over my head, I’m assuming it’s a type of slow linear phase then?
Not exactly. There are whole series of linear phase filters, like Bessel and Gaussian, and various approximations to linear phase. Butterworth was simply one of the first filters to be mathematically derived, and it features maximally flat response in the passband with no passband ripple. The 2nd order BW has a slight peak in group delay, higher orders start to have significant peaks.

OP
Doobrey

Doobrey

Thanks for the response, I hear it’s great when used in crossovers but when it comes do DA conversion is it still good enough to do the job or should I look at external converter with a better filter?

Top Bottom