• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What type of amplification do you use if you use one or more subwoofers?

What type of amplifier do you use if you use one or more subwoofers?

• Stereo amplifier w/out xover

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • Stereo amplifier with integral or external xover

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • AVR with LR speakers set to small

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • AVR with LR set to large

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Software crossover and decoding with multiple or multi-channel amplifiers

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters

TimVG

Major Contributor
I use my AVR as the crossover but complement it with my miniDSP unit for additional finetuning, on top of its primary function which is running the wonderful MSO generated settings.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use my AVR as the crossover but complement it with my miniDSP unit for additional finetuning, on top of its primary function which is running the wonderful MSO generated settings.
I appreciate if you chose between option 3 and 4.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the explanation. I knew of the Genelec 7271 subwoofers but was not familiar with it. Interesting setup it offers. However, I can see why Genelec discontinued it. It looks like it can only work as a 2-ch system, whereas the world has gone ga-ga with multi-channel immersive audio.
Genelec allows you to daisy chain its SAM speakers/subwoofers into a full multi-channel system with multiple subwoofers that's corrected via GLM room calibration software - once calibrated, the system works together as a cohesive whole taking room interaction into account.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec allows you to daisy chain its SAM speakers/subwoofers into a full multi-channel system with multiple subwoofers that's corrected via GLM room calibration software - once calibrated, the system works together as a cohesive whole taking room interaction into account.
Can you share a link for more information on that? I like to learn more. Which device is the controller? How is the audio distributed?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you share a link for more information on that? I like to learn more. Which device is the controller? How is the audio distributed?
Initial calibration with GLM requires a connection to your PC, but once GLM completes its calibration/settings to your taste, there is no device controller necessary as all these settings are stored as firmware into all connected speakers. Audio is distributed either direct XLR analog to each speaker or AES/EBU, or XLR per channel directly into a SAM subwoofer that then distributes XLR output to each speaker and daisy chained additional subwoofers. Here's a typical 7.1.4 setup (but you can add more subwoofers as needed). They even have a full PoE Dante solution with the 4430A called "Smart IP" connecting these speakers multichannel via one standard CAT cable which supplies power, signal and GLM integration.

The GLM calibration you see below is only done once, then stored into each connected speaker, you then unplug the GLM/PC from the speakers never to be revisited unless you want to re-calibrate or change the settings.

Screenshot 2022-02-08 144901.png

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Initial calibration with GLM requires a connection to your PC, but once GLM completes its calibration/settings to your taste, there is no device controller necessary as all these settings are stored as firmware into all connected speakers. Audio is distributed either direct XLR analog to each speaker or AES/EBU, or XLR per channel directly into a SAM subwoofer that then distributes XLR output to each speaker and daisy chained additional subwoofers. Here's a typical 7.1.4 setup (but you can add more subwoofers as needed). They even have a full PoE Dante solution with the 4430A called "Smart IP" connecting these speakers multichannel via one standard CAT cable which supplies power, signal and GLM integration.

The GLM calibration you see below is only done once, then stored into each connected speaker, you then unplug the GLM/PC from the speakers never to be revisited unless you want to re-calibrate or change the settings.

View attachment 185302
Thank you. I wasn’t aware that some Genelec woofers had up to 7.1 processing and bass management inbuilt. Very elegant.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. I wasn’t aware that some Genelec woofers had up to 7.1 processing and bass management inbuilt. Very elegant.
Now you know why Genelec has such a loyal following! I strongly recommend you join their community forum as the speaker owners and Genelec moderators can provide you with all the necessary answers you need for your specific objectives.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My 7060b from 2006 has (analog) 6.1 bass management, and I think all bigger models as well.

I'm not sure about the smaller ones (7x5x and 7x4x) - my 8020a has an internal switchable highpass at 80 Hz because the matching sub had none, as far as I remember. You could feed sat and sub with a splitter cable.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Which amplifier? well few Behringer nx3000 are DSP and can be connected remote-software or I can manually do it in the THX kitchen on amp rack.
Most of the Behringer NX3000 and NX3000D are connected to Behringer DCX2496 so I can ether change the crossover slopes which presently I think 200Hz at L-R 24dB for L Lc C Rc R. the subs well that is a bit of a topic now. Since LFE is already filtered to slope off at 120Hz and more less stop around 120Hz I shifted the DSP crossover up maybe set at 160Hz (or I can tune it down to 20Hz depending on the movie) I don't know can't recall depends.

The subs/LFE can be arranged to ether run as sub arrays below the stage channels. Or depending on the movie and mood that I was once in, the subs can be switched on the DCX2496 to play on Lc Rc "baby boom" or combination of Lc Rc and the other subs below the stage and the other remaining JBL TCB subs middle front and back of the room. Or use one of the JBL TCB subs at back of the room with surrounds to extend the sound of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701/A for deep bridge rumble or phase attacks or warp drive rumble inside or in a vacuum.

The common LCR or five screen wide or with the surrounds when playing with the subs are within +- 2dB on the SPL meter which so they perform how I would have heard flat at a cinema the stage channels produce more constant bass than the LFE which is only active depending on the mix.

Too bad the LFE doesn't go to 200Hz with certain type. even thou the AVR internal crossover for LFE can be set to 250Hzn but where is the vintage content of those movies now? All been remixed. Yet the Denon or CP200/CP500 are geared up for it.

As or stereo subs I see not much point I would only notice pressure changes and no directional since one left sub playing any below 20Hz to 30 40 whatever would just overlap the other sub playing right signal and bass will slip into another speaker making it sound, oh I shouldn't have mentioned that now. now there's going to be "dogs and cats living together mass sub bass speaker Hysteria". what none of you knew that?

Trell

Major Contributor
Please vote for 3 and 4. Thank you.

In functionality they are the same but I also wanted to gather information about the type of system used, stereo or multichannel.

Your poll is not multiple choice.

Trell

Major Contributor
HT system is a Denon AVR with two subwoofers and all speakers set to small.

My office system is Genelec 8330A monitors with 7360A subwoofer. These have DSP with a distributed bass management where the monitors has a high pass filter and the subwoofer a low pass filter. You connect the stereo DAC to the subwoofer and then to the monitors. There subwoofer will pass the signals unaltered to the monitors.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AVR set to small, AVR does provide the LPF, PC does the Dirac compensation. Sub has Room correction EQ and filters as well, in case I watch UHD-BDs from a standalone player, so it's a combination of these 3 things.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
HT system is a Denon AVR with two subwoofers and all speakers set to small.

My office system is Genelec 8330A monitors with 7360A subwoofer. These have DSP with a distributed bass management where the monitors has a high pass filter and the subwoofer a low pass filter. You connect the stereo DAC to the subwoofer and then to the monitors. There subwoofer will pass the signals unaltered to the monitors.
Please vote for the setup of the system where you mainly listen to music, critically.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the explanation. I knew of the Genelec 7271 subwoofers but was not familiar with it. Interesting setup it offers. However, I can see why Genelec discontinued it. It looks like it can only work as a 2-ch system, whereas the world has gone ga-ga with multi-channel immersive audio.

For bass management handled by the 7271 it supports 8 channels, all digital.

For systems with AVRs as the source and the correct outputs, you can use the 7271 with any number of other speakers just like any other sub.

I think any of the full size SAM subwoofers have similar capabilities, and some with regular XLR analog input which the 7271 doesn't support.

Trell

Major Contributor
For bass management handled by the 7271 it supports 8 channels, all digital.

For systems with AVRs as the source and the correct outputs, you can use the 7271 with any number of other speakers just like any other sub.

I think any of the full size SAM subwoofers have similar capabilities, and some with regular XLR analog input which the 7271 doesn't support.

My 7360, a SAM subwoofer, has 8 analogue in with one of them for LFE. It only has one AES/EBU in, though. Same for 7370.

GMan

I have two older Vandersteen 2WQ subs configured in stereo, wired directly to my Bryston amp, and in parallel with my main speakers. Would love to hear if anyone has a similar setup.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want trying to find out how ASR members use their subwoofers. If you have multiple systems, please answer the question for the system where you listen to music predominantly and/or treat it as your main system. Please use your vote even if you posted your the answer.

By amplifier I mean the type of amplification you use to drive the main speakers. If you use stereo active speaker please consider them as stereo amplifier. (In effect they are two mono-block amplifiers.)

By xover I mean an active crossover device (analogue or DSP) either external to the main amplifier that feeds the LR speakers or an integral HP filter that is inbuilt to the main amplifier. Please exclude the amplifier that powers the subwoofers.
I want to clarify my #2 selection of the vote:
The signal leaves my APT/Holman PreAmp (as tested on this site) pre-outs to my Harrison Labs PFMOD which divides the signal into that below 80Hz: which goes to one of my NAD2200 (also tested on this site) triplets running in stereo configuration to a pair of custom (by me) 4 Ohm subs.
The signal 60 Hz & up is sent to the main NAD2200's (each being used as a mono-block) running to my pair of 8 Ohm Dahlquist 905-M speakers.

MattJ

Stereo amp using passive high pass to towers at 100hz@12db/oct, and sub built in low pass at 60hz@24db/oct.

Top Bottom