• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What to upgrade first

Sisnootles

Hi,

Not sure if I’m posting this in the right forum but here goes. I’ve been mainly a headphone listener for years (HD650s into a heavily RockGrotto modded xcans v3)

I have a very meagre HIFI system at the moment. iPhone/Ipad streaming Apple Lossless into either musical fidelity V90 Dac or Topping DX3pro+ Dac into Tangent Ampster BT II into Wharfedale Diamonds 220 speakers.

Where should I start upgrading. What would be the first piece to change. My room is 13ft x 13ft. Not treated at all. I mainly listen to Jazz and Prog Rock.

I only have a budget of around £1000 ($1250).

Inlook forward to your recommendations! Thanks

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers or room treatment and/or equalisation.

You could consider adding a sub instead of a speaker upgrade. Though your amp has a sub output but doesn't seem to have any way of high passing the main speakers - so this might be a problem without some form of external crossover.

OP
S

Sisnootles

Speakers or room treatment and/or equalisation.

You could consider adding a sub instead of a speaker upgrade. Though your amp has a sub output but doesn't seem to have any way of high passing the main speakers - so this might be a problem without some form of external crossover.
Excuse my ignorance….can the sub deal with the crossover? Something like the BK Gemini II? If not what is the point of a sub out on the amp?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some subs can do a high passes output to go to your amp. If you got one like that, youd connect your source directly to the sub and let it do the cressover. Youd end up with long interconnects in that case though with the possibility of ground loop noise.

unless you put source and amp next to the sub

OP
S

Sisnootles

If I went for a speaker upgrade what should I look at as a logical step up from the Diamonds? Something unfussy about placement and room treatment (which is just not possible in the room).

Top Bottom