• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What to try next?

Eyesluna

I currently use an 3E and Magni Heresy, paired with Fostex T50RP MK3 that've been modded by a friend. I'm pretty new to audio gear generally speaking, and I'd like to try new headphones, I know that there's alot of snake oil so I'd like to aim for what's demonstrably worth the money. Speaking of money, i'm aiming for the sweet spot in terms of price to performance ratio, budget wise I would say under 500 USD. I do also have a pretty fat head so comfort is also a priority for me.

Use case wise, I listen to effectively every genre of music and even some out there stuff (throat singing for example). I do also try to game when I rarely get the chance. With that in mind what seems like the next step in terms of getting a new listening experience? Also what should someone new look at when making purchases in regards to headphones to avoid bullshit?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
So comfort will vary from person to person; hard to give specific advice there. One resource that might help is RTings, their reviews include some comfort metrics like weight, clamping force, and breathability. Better yet: if you can try on headphones in the store -- or buy from online retailers with good return policies -- do that as much as possible.

Some other good measurement / review resources:
In order to help others on ASR give you suggestions:
  • Is there a specific type of headphone you'd like to try? (open back, closed back, IEMs, planar magnetics, etc.)
  • Are you looking for headphones that are going to sound good out of the box or are you willing to do EQ?

OP
E

Eyesluna

So comfort will vary from person to person; hard to give specific advice there. One resource that might help is RTings, their reviews include some comfort metrics like weight, clamping force, and breathability. Better yet: if you can try on headphones in the store -- or buy from online retailers with good return policies -- do that as much as possible.

Some other good measurement / review resources:
In order to help others on ASR give you suggestions:
  • Is there a specific type of headphone you'd like to try? (open back, closed back, IEMs, planar magnetics, etc.)
  • Are you looking for headphones that are going to sound good out of the box or are you willing to do EQ?
Thanks for replying! I'm open to open or closed back, in terms of drivers all I've really tried are the planars on my current set, and I enjoy them, but I also know that they're not the only thing out there and in all honesty I still don't fully understand the differences between them outside of their physical ones. I would prefer to not have to do any EQ currently, life is pretty busy currently and I don't have the time investment to really learn something throughly.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Imo, the HD600 is a pretty great sweet spot. Can be bought used for about $200.
That being said, in terms of sound quality I genuinely prefer my $15 mh755 once EQed. Better bass, easier to notice nuances (think dark movie theater vs tv in bright living room).

1. Do you use EQ?
2. Do you want noise isolation?
3. Would you benefit from something portable?

OP
E

Eyesluna

Imo, the HD600 is a pretty great sweet spot. Can be bought used for about $200.
That being said, in terms of sound quality I genuinely prefer my $15 mh755 once EQed. Better bass, easier to notice nuances (think dark movie theater vs tv in bright living room).

1. Do you use EQ?
2. Do you want noise isolation?
3. Would you benefit from something portable?
1.) I currently don't use EQ, and don't plan on it for a few years, work and grad school is a terrible time killer.

2.) I think that some level of noise isolation would be nice, but I'd like to also know what the trade offs are to get that, like say the differences between a closed back and an open back. I don't know what my housing situation will be in the next few months so I think having some isolation might be good.

3.) I already have a pair of airpods pro and so on the portable side of things I think i'm good,

Top Bottom