• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What to drive 400SEs and Sundaras with in order to open that stage?

NewbieOne

As per title. Obviously just about any potato will provide enough volume (like listening to the 400SEs straight from a phone or laptop), but I'm talking about the Hifiman planars reaching their true potential and transforming from underamped ugly ducklings into whatever they were meant to be, which includes (importantly to a gamer) a comfortably large and open stage with good imaging, which is something a lot of people characterize the Sundaras as not having, just as about as many praise them for having it (which kinda suggests the latter group just might have better amplification). My uneducated impression was that they simply need 2W — vs. e.g. 1 from Atom or 1.5 from Zen or K5 pro — and if they don't get that, they sound narrow and shallow and fail to show their true potential in technical terms and even tonality. However, I've also been told that things aren't as simple as that, and it should be possible for less strong amps to also be able to drive them properly if they meet some other conditions. And that's from where things begin to fall beyond the limits of my understanding.

Also: How badly insufficient will my non-pro K5 be?. (No standalone DAC. Using the one that's on the SB Z instead.)

Sprint

Forum Donor
I just brought HIFIMAN Sundara's and had a similar question. I already own a FiiO BTR5. I was recommended to use BTR5 as DAC and Topping L30 or L50 as amps. I brought L50 and the sound is excellent and detailed. It is more refined compared to the BTR5 as a DAC + amp.

Leiker535

Those headphones are fairly efficient so I think your k5 will drive them just fine. Amplification is often very overstated by the community, don't overthink it.

Consult this table from diyaudioheaven if you have any doubts.
Table

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The K5 should be sufficient but I think the planars can benefit from standalone amp to drive them (my opinion). I would recommend a Topping L50/30 or a Sabaj A10H. I drive my HE400se with a Sabaj10H and they definitely sound expansive with the amplification.

Wuzel

Vref is not the key - you need current to drive planar cans ;)
Sundara works fine with Shiit Heresy and special recommed A30 Pro - love Sundaras with this Amp, have old 400 too - but in this case the Sundaras win :D

Top Bottom