• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What to do about the ABX test?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gads. I would offer never seeing voltage readings -or even one for that matter anywhere near consistent enough levels like that simply from the contact variations from my leads.
Fluke 75s, 88s typically. Admittedly not High End here. :facepalm: :rolleyes:
As others are saying this is not at all my experience or those of many other people I know. You must be doing something wrong.

sonitus mirus

Admitedly, my cheap multimeter (looks like older revision of this) measures AC only to 1 decimal place :(
That is most likely accurate enough and definitely worth attempting in an ABX. If you can’t identify a difference, you’re done—no need to fret about improving the accuracy. However, if you do hear any differences, consider volume matching as a potential culprit.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That is most likely accurate enough
It's not- only has 100mV resolution for AC. It's crazy, I've never seen a meter like that before; even my cheapie has a 200mV scale.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not- only has 100mV resolution for AC. It's crazy, I've never seen a meter like that before; even my cheapie has a 200mV scale.
You mentioned Harbor Freight earlier. This one from their page, for $19.99, also has 0.1 V resolution in its specification (PDF), on page 5:
hf.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You mentioned Harbor Freight earlier. This one from their page, for $19.99, also has 0.1 V resolution in its specification (PDF), on page 5:
View attachment 356409
This one is closer to the kind I bought at close-out. Also under $20. The 4ACV range is perfect for this application. Normally I use a Fluke or HP meter, but I needed to look at several voltages simultaneously during the testing of a power amp, so I grabbed half a dozen of the cheapies. They worked great.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This one is closer to the kind I bought at close-out. Also under $20. The 4ACV range is perfect for this application. Normally I use a Fluke or HP meter, but I needed to look at several voltages simultaneously during the testing of a power amp, so I grabbed half a dozen of the cheapies. They worked great.

I never imagined that multimeters could be this inexpensive and decent too. I'm from the days when a Fluke bench meter (Not a portable hand held.) was a minimum standard for full time bench duty. I never bought a bench meter with several digits or more high resolution because for general purpose bench work it is slower, too difficult to read fast and the semi-conductor diode check and beeper mode is absurdly slow and really made my flow reduced. I like to be able to go chopsticks style and get the readings done quickly so I could make money. So I welcome these new meters and think you are smart for buying a bunch of them for monitoring several things at a time. Very wise. :D

vavent_

I have ordered this DM300 it will arrive into my country in 3-4 weeks~ and than I will use it to measure loudness, btw how to use it with Mojo2/Qudelix? Should I plug this thinks directly into headphone 3.5mm jack? Will not it damage the amplifiers? I haven't used such multimeters before, so complete noob in this

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have ordered this DM300 it will arrive into my country in 3-4 weeks~ and than I will use it to measure loudness, btw how to use it with Mojo2/Qudelix? Should I plug this thinks directly into headphone 3.5mm jack? Will not it damage the amplifiers? I haven't used such multimeters before, so complete noob in this
What you're measuring is voltage across the output of the device you're testing; The multimeter won't be in any danger of hurting anything as long as you have the function set to AC or DC volts. *Not current (mA)!*.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You will need a cable with 3.5mm jack plug on one end and either another jack plug or RCA plugs or exposed wires on another end.

Plug the 3.5mm jack to your device and connect multimeter probes at the other end of the cable, to the ground and to the signal. In case of exposed wires you will have to figure out which is which. But hey, you have multimeter :) You can measure the resistance between the sleeve of the plug and each wire. When you get 0, that's your ground.

In case of RCA plugs this should look like this:
probes.jpg

Top Bottom