• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What technical paraneters are better in high end expensive amplifier?

Ozgoren100

I own an old JVC RX 5062 amplifier and recently purchased new Cabasse Antigua speakers and quality Subwoofer, it sounds great.
My dillema is - should I replace the JVC with a high end expensive amplifier?
I tested my 300 usd JVC against 6000 usd amplifiers and couldn't notice any difference with the same speakers setup, I compared at reasonable house power levels, I don't need more than that.
As an electronic Engineer I can tell the technical paraneters of the amplifiers and at reasonable power levels it is for my opinion not something that a human can hear and that explains why I didn't hear any difference, and I can tell that the quality of sound is critical for me, that is why I purchased better speakers, accoustic is much more compliated than electrical amplifiers and huge difference between low end and high end speakers. These are the critical parameters of an audio amplifier:
Power, Distortions, frequency response, signal to noise ratio, ability to match and drive the speakers impedance without affecting the other parameters.
Appriciate your view, do I need to replace my old JVC?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I own an old JVC RX 5062 amplifier and recently purchased new Cabasse Antigua speakers and quality Subwoofer, it sounds great.
I tested my 300 usd JVC against 6000 usd amplifiers and couldn't notice any difference with the same speakers setup, I compared at reasonable house power levels, I don't need more than that.
As an electronic Engineer I can tell the technical paraneters of the amplifiers and at reasonable power levels it is for my opinion not something that a human can hear and that explains why I didn't hear any difference, and I can tell that the quality of sound is critical for me, that is why I purchased better speakers, accoustic is much more compliated than electrical amplifiers and huge difference between low end and high end speakers. These are the critical parameters of an audio amplifier:
Power, Distortions, frequency response, signal to noise ratio, ability to match and drive the speakers impedance without affecting the other parameters.
All you quote in the end of your post concern the speakers not the power amp.

The distortion of a speaker is greater than any power amp except the tube power amp.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Welcome Aboard @Ozgoren100.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ozgoren100 Welcome aboard. More expensive amplifiers not necessarily are better measuring amplifiers. Check out the table below, specially the chart on the second tab.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZlTOYxmPs938gqHjtDABkWS-MApu7uJjzIGnJ2Elm6Y/edit?usp=sharing

If one chooses a better measuring amplifier with less price restriction, indeed you get better SNR, lower distortion and higher power, which is used mostly in bass heavy music playing loud.

And finally, depending where you live and the manufacturer chosen, you should get home trials and have a couple of weeks or a month testing in your own system to make sure it is worth it. Although as written above, usually better speakers and room treatment, even digital room correction, bring better results for less money, so there is that value priority to think about too.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Welcome!

I agree. Looks like you have a competent amp for the job.

Your summary of what's important seems to leave little room for you to be baffled with the bullshit prevalent out there.

Put your money into some room treatment or correction software, and you'll be way ahead vs a new amp.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor

One area you may hear a difference is recovery from clipping. The price of an amplifier is not always an indicator of graceful clipping recovery. If it works sufficiently well for you now then keep it until it breaks.

Top Bottom