• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What sub $20k speakers are best for electronic music?

loiseau

I am looking for speakers under $20k (used).

I'm starting to realize that for me, a slightly warmer sound works best with most electronic music, which is what I mostly listen to. So much music just sounds so off-putting on the really analytical and bright sounding speakers. There's this Goldilocks zone in the treble for me where it's not rolled off too much to be called veiled, and not it's not too high to be called bright. It's still very detailed, and even sparkly at moments, but never overly fatiguing. I think a little fatiguing is an ok tradeoff if we're talking "I can listen for 20-30 minutes and I'm done," just not the piercing fatigue that you're done with in 5 minutes. From other research, I'm realizing it might be best to buy the best technical speaker my budget can get and then just use DSP to get the sound I'm after. I still think there are other elements that make some speakers better than others for electronic music.

I'm attaching pictures of the room and dimensions if that helps with recommendations. The speakers will go on the sides of the fireplace area. Ceiling are timber and about 15ft high.

Thinking of powering them with Devialet expert pro.

I've really enjoyed speakers from T+A and KEF, but not so much Magico or Focal if that helps.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Well, judging by what you write, I'd say you like neutral sounding speakers.

The funny thing is that I used to experience the fatigue you describe, but haven't experienced it at all with neutral sounding speakers and well measuring gear.

Even if you found a neutral sounding speaker too tiring you could just adjust the frequency response by dip switches on certain speakers like Genelec. Or by using a minidsp flex (dac and dsp). Or by using a visual eq in Roon (streamer software).

As for speakers, the best measured here on ASR are the Genelec 8361 iirc. The D&D 8c is being held in high regard too. Both are about half your budget and include amplification and dsp.
My own experience with speakers sounding good with just about any source material and especially electronic music are the B&O Beolab 5. They are distontinued but used ones in good condition are available at B&O dealers every now and then.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I am looking for speakers under $20k (used).

I'm starting to realize that for me, a slightly warmer sound works best with most electronic music, which is what I mostly listen to. So much music just sounds so off-putting on the really analytical and bright sounding speakers. There's this Goldilocks zone in the treble for me where it's not rolled off too much to be called veiled, and not it's not too high to be called bright. It's still very detailed, and even sparkly at moments, but never overly fatiguing. I think a little fatiguing is an ok tradeoff if we're talking "I can listen for 20-30 minutes and I'm done," just not the piercing fatigue that you're done with in 5 minutes. From other research, I'm realizing it might be best to buy the best technical speaker my budget can get and then just use DSP to get the sound I'm after. I still think there are other elements that make some speakers better than others for electronic music.

I'm attaching pictures of the room and dimensions if that helps with recommendations. The speakers will go on the sides of the fireplace area. Ceiling are timber and about 15ft high.

Thinking of powering them with Devialet expert pro.

I've really enjoyed speakers from T+A and KEF, but not so much Magico or Focal if that helps.
atc smc 50 asl, of course

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Unnatural imaging is the main contributor to listening fatigue, accoring to Genelec:
https://www.genelec.com/8331a

The 8331 is the smallest speaker in the line of Genelec's coaxial speakers. (The main difference between the 8331, 8341, 8351 and 8361 is the size, thus extended bass and loudness at which they can play. So bigger speaker means suitable for longer listening distance and/or bigger room.)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What speakers have you actually used with what gear in your current room?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Bad” speakers does not take well to EQ all you do is then make its sounds weird in another way :)

I would gues a neutral speaker with controlled dispersion is the ticket , and with prodigious bass capacity. I would rather up the bass levels for electronic music than lower the treble , kind of home made loudness , then you can have the impact but not play so loud that it becomes fatigue?

D

Deleted member 48726

I think I know exactly the sound you like. I think I like it the same way. Hard to describe but you are definitely right about rolled-off highs but not too much.

I found that a mostly flat responding speaker is the easiest baseline. Then I have experimented with hundreds of identical-but-not-quite-the-same EQ curves. They have all rolled off the highs a bit, typically ending -4 to -5 dB at 20.000 Hz, the starting point is a bit different and there is a flat shelf just before it goes all the way down to -4 to -5.

The rest of the curve is tuned flat but when done playing with EQ I turn up the sub gain about 10 % (crossover @ 80 Hz)

Top Bottom