• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What (streaming radio station) are we listening to right now..

DanielT

Major Contributor
But why keep the analog FM radio? Here is a reason:

"Digital radio can easily be turned off in wartime

In the current tightened security policy situation with an increasingly aggressive neighbor to the east, Sweden should not abolish the current analogue systems in view of the high-profile IT attacks against Telia Sonera and Sony in December. Thousands of Telia's broadband customers lost access to the internet after being attacked by a hacker group called "Lizard Squad" which is believed to be based in Russia. According to the security company Symantec, these so-called overload attacks have increased enormously in number and power in recent times."

It was written in 2015 ...Information must be able to reach citizens even in times of crisis.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
BBC 6 Music ... pretty mixed selection, often something new (to me). https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_6music
Programming varies with the different DJs so keeps me entertained. I've found so much good stuff here. Will stream at 320 kbps

I'll check out Radio Paradise now, sounds interesting

tomtoo

Major Contributor
But there is a difference between Analog Radio, Digital Radio(dab) and internet streaming radio.So i see no difference regading security between digital(dab) radio and analog radio. Here is something wrong with the wording and i cant read swedish.

DanielT

Major Contributor
But there is a difference between Analog Radio, Digital Radio(dab) and internet streaming radio.So i see no difference regading security between digital(dab) radio and analog radio. Here is something wrong with the wording and i cant read swedish.
It was about objections to shut down the analogue FM network completely. How it would affect the total defense and Sweden's disaster preparedness, and the opportunity to communicate VMA (Important message to the public). The Swedish Armed Forces, the Swedish Armed Forces' radio station, were negative.
The coverage rate was another problem that was highlighted.

"As of 2021, Norway is the only country so far to have switched off FM radio in favour of DAB (for national broadcasters). Since then, Switzerland is currently the only country to have confirmed plans for a switch, targeting a date of 2023.[32]"

Last edited:
Top Bottom