• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What stage of the signal do I connect my Focusrite 4i4?

Makauu171

I have a Focusrite 4i4 3rd gen and I'm planning to purchase a topping A30pro/D30pro stack. I was wondering where my 4i4 connects. My initial thoughts is this PC (usb) -> D30pro (bal L.O.) -> 4i4 (bal L.O.) -> A30pro.

This was the most sound plan I could think of but my concern is between the d30pro and the 4i4, does the built in dac of the 4i4 get bypassed when I connect it this way? Is there any chance that there will be signal degradation due to the built in DAC of the focusrite, thus bottlenecking my d30pro?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see a need for the 4i4. The 4i4 would compromise performance though it might not be audible.

PC-USB to Connect the D30 which connects to the A30.

Do you have other uses or needs for the 4i4? If so I might get a switchbox for the input of the A30 and switch between the D30 and 4i4 as an input source for the A30.

OP
M

Makauu171

I don't see a need for the 4i4. The 4i4 would compromise performance though it might not be audible.

PC-USB to Connect the D30 which connects to the A30.

Do you have other uses or needs for the 4i4? If so I might get a switchbox for the input of the A30 and switch between the D30 and 4i4 as an input source for the A30.
I was going to use it for monitoring but yeah I guess using a switch box would probably be the best thing here. Time to diy one.

OP
M

Makauu171

Are you using the 4i4 for recording as well? Keeping both may make that easier to manage then... less issues with blocked sound devices or having to change settings.
yes I was gonna use it for recording too.

Top Bottom