• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Speakers Would You Like Amir To Measure Next?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I vote for the Sonos Five
- vertical vs horizontal orientation
- with and without trueplay (room correction)
- with and without sub (presence of sub activates crossover which improves midrange clarity). Can still test Five alone and have a sub in a separate room so it doesn’t contribute to the measurement

Sonos has the largest anechoic chambers in the industry and they have Harman/Velodyne/Paradigm veterans.

Look at the performance of their bottom of the line, non IKEA speaker:

• Preference Score is 5.6 and would be 8.6with a perfect subwoofer.
  • Preference Score is 5.9 with an EQ and would be 8.9 with a perfect subwoofer and the same EQ.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Honestly I'd like to see the old Logitech z2300 tested. When I was young people were raving about how good they were. I remember looking at Emachines and Gateway desktops. It's a blast from my past. My brother's cat broke the control pod (which I think made the sub hard to use without a replacement one), but the satellite speakers can be hooked up via rca no problem.

NoAudiophile liked the CSS Critons. Back then it was kind of hard to find a lot of loudspeaker measurements for me so those stuck around in my mind for a bit.

My best friend bought the Jamo c103 speakers before Amir started testing speakers because he didn't know which to pick. They are discontinued so may be hard to get. The Jamo c93 II aren't a more modern equivalent, but they look nice aesthetically at least.

With how popular the Monolith by Monoprice subs have been, I'm curious how their bookshelf speakers do.

For entirely selfish reasons the newish NHT Super One or the vintage Super Two. I'm curious about a sealed bookshelf (the Two is an older Super One design mated to a subwoofer), as compared to the decent ported designs (Polk S15) and outstanding actives (several Genelecs). If I could drive mine over I would. =)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Active:
Adam T7V
Any Devialet speakers
Behringer B2031A (Amir will be getting one soon)
Focal Alpha 50 Evo, 65 Evo * (Amir will be getting one soon)
Focal Alpha 50, 80 *
Focal Shape 40, 50, 65 *
Focal Trio11 Be *
Focal Trio6 Be *
Genelec 1032C
Genelec 8040B, 8340A
Genelec S360A *
IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
Neumann KH 120
Neumann KH 420 * (Amir will be getting one soon)

Passive:
Any Kef In-Wall or In-Ceiling speakers *
Any Miller & Kreisel speakers *
Buchardt Audio S400 MKII
Focal Chora 806
PSB Imagine XB *
Polk R100 (Erin will be getting one soon), R200
SVS Prime Bookshelf, Prime Satellite *
Wharfedale Evo 4.1 (DONE), 4.2 *

* = no spinorama at all

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , do you live anywhere near this seller? I'd love to see measurements of the bookshelf and center speakers.
I have a Jamo 5 speaker package I bought months back. Hope to measure them soon.

Beave

Major Contributor
I have a Jamo 5 speaker package I bought months back. Hope to measure them soon.

Is it the S series? The ones I linked are older, back before Jamo was bought by Klipsch, and they're probably *much* better than the newer ones.

Jamo used to be a serious Danish speaker company. Nowadays, not so much.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This one is here. :)
Sooper. This is going to be a very interesting test of the Neumann KH 420. Looking forward to it. It's nice to see a 3-way and a bit bigger woofer for a change from the majority of the speakers these days. Maybe even a teardown specially for them will excite the masses.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
This one is here. :)

giphy (2).gif

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd love to see a review of the new Creative Soundblaster Katana V2. Not that I'm particularly interested in owning one, but the Katana is seen as the holy grail in gaming soundbars, for whatever reason, and the reviews on the V2 border on lyrical. Hardware Canucks even had a reviewer raving about the internal DAC.

It's a $329 soundbar, btw, and is now touted by reviewers as the best $300 you can spend on a desktop audio device. Would love to see some facts and ASR truth bombs. :p

Creative0Sound-blaster-Katana-2.jpg

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Yes, for those of you whose mind it skipped over time, the search bar has a drop down menu where you can search a specific thread to see if your candidate has been covered (please refrain from silly puns).

On a side note, I really hope the brand name Perlisten isn't derived from "for listening", I'd loose all respect.

adam2434

I think it would be interesting to see measurements on the new Monoprice Encore B6 and Polk ES20 - both are 6.5" standmounts at $350-400/pair.

dcibel

I'd like to see anything from Legacy Audio, but preferably one of the models with the dual large and small AMT tweeters. I'd also like to see something from Wilson Audio tested.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Some more speakers from the KEF R or Reference series would be nice. There aren't a lot of coaxial designs out there.

Doctors11

Aperion Audio Novus N5B bookshelf
Monitor Audio Apex A10, and 7g Silver 50
Starke Audio Echo Lumi
Arendal Sound 1961 bookshelf
Martin Logan Motion 15i
Golden Ear Aon 2
Paradigm MilleniaOne
Anthony Gallo Strada 2

Reactions: ENG

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Some more speakers from the KEF R or Reference series would be nice. There aren't a lot of coaxial designs out there.
Oh yes! Is R1 that good that it remained the same for 6-7 years? Why no meta-material for the tweeter of R1, was it without the back reflection distortion and if so, why not merely use it in LS50? What's the purpose of meta material if UniQ of R1 doesn't need it? I already heard that UniQ fro R1 is not the same as one of LS50 and that it would be more expensive, but If you make a huge number of such drivers, you could lower the price of manufacturing and the R&D that went into it.

Top Bottom